6fthook
Participant
@6fthook

Hello everyone,

I am starting a half sleeve this wednessday morning. This will be my first multi session (2, maybe 3 I’m guessing) tattoo, the longest one I’ve sat for is about 3.5 or 4 hours. I usually tip 20% as long as I am happy with the experience, rounded off to the nearest $20 bill.

But what do you do with a $750-$1000, 2 maybe 3 sitting tattoo? Tip all $200 which is 20% after the first sitting? Or do like $100 after the first, then make up the rest of the 20% after the 2nd if it’s finished?

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

a tip is a yip and not mandatory tip what ever you want. give money, grass or head or even baked goods what ever you want.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

How about baked goods with grass in’em? 😉

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

$200 sounds alot especially with the amount you are paying for the work but it is different in the UK regarding tipping for me £60-100 an hour they are getting a decent wage and its not like they are relying on tips. I am sure I will be roasted for say that. My half sleev will be costing me around £800 and I won’t be tipping £80-160 thats for sure no matter how happy I am.

legendasboy
Participant
@legendasboy

love my country..no tips in here

Bixler
Participant
@bixler
goldengraemes;84146 wrote:
$200 sounds alot especially with the amount you are paying for the work but it is different in the UK regarding tipping for me £60-100 an hour they are getting a decent wage and its not like they are relying on tips. I am sure I will be roasted for say that. My half sleev will be costing me around £800 and I won’t be tipping £80-160 thats for sure no matter how happy I am.

tattoo artists pay for their chair, just like a barber, or a stripper. They don’t necessarily rely on tips, but they are not making as much money as you think. They make no hourly wage, and you have to think about all the time put into researching and sketching your design at the shop or at home. I’m basing this on an upscale custom studio that focuses on large scale work, not some street flash shop.

To the OP, on my large scale work I tip every single session. Every artist has a different relationship with every client, so in the end tip what you think is fair. Anything is better than nothing, and they will appreciate it.

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

and pay in cash…………..

bboarder06
Participant
@bboarder06

all my tattoos have been done in multiple sessions and i tend to only tip after the last session. but as others have said, even though tipping isn’t necessarily expected, it is greatly appreciated.

and just out of curiosity, how come paying in cash is better than with a card? i always see the signs that “cash is appreciated” but i’ve never really understood why. i’ll tip with cash, but i usually dont have $300-400 in paper money for each session, so i’ll pay that with a card.

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

the vendor who accepts the credti card has to pay 3-5% to the credit card company…………

not to mention, cash (some , if not all of it) can go directly into the pocket of the provider………;)

bboarder06
Participant
@bboarder06
reefdiver;84231 wrote:
the vendor who accepts the credti card has to pay 3-5% to the credit card company…………

not to mention, cash (some , if not all of it) can go directly into the pocket of the provider………;)

ooh, very good to know. i’ll have to find some cash for my session friday then haha

oliverT
Participant
@olivert

When it comes to tipping, everyone has their own standards. Tips may be adding a bigger chunk to your bill, but the point of a gratuity is to reward a person for their effort. It used to be that everyone paid with cash, or possibly a check, for everything, everywhere. However, we now live in the credit and debit card age and are heading for mobile payments, but one should always try to tip servers with cash wherever possible. Source of article: link removed

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.