tgrh8r25
Participant
@tgrh8r25

I am really, REALLY set on getting a tattoo of a cross in white ink on the inside of my wrist. It’s not a place that gets sun all the time, and I’m not a person who tans very often, maybe a couple times a year, max. I take yellow ink well, so I would think I would take white ink well. I know that with white ink there is some risk of fading, but is it really so much that it’s not worth getting? I’ve seen white ink tats all over the internet, and people have said they’ve had them for years. What are ya’ll’s thoughts? I’ve had one local artist turn me down flat and say it’s a waste of money. I’m low on options for artists in my area, but I’m gonna check with the rest and see if any of them will do it. Please advise!! Thanks ya’ll!

Adler
Participant
@adler

It’s not recommended to get an all white tattoo…as an artist has already told you. Different people take white better than others but generally speaking it’s better as an accent or highlight than a main color. Very often white ink will fade and look more like the skin color or it may heal as yellowish or off white or even greyish looking. Trust what you’ve been told, an all white cross (or anything) is not a good idea.

tgrh8r25
Participant
@tgrh8r25

thanks Adler, I appreciate the help, disappointing as it is! 🙁 What I was thinking as a second choice was maybe a greyscale one. But I haven’t seen many of those up close, so I guess I have some research to do.

tgrh8r25
Participant
@tgrh8r25

what about more of a white outline? just thinking up some more options…

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

white really only works as highlights……….

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat
Adler;81738 wrote:
It’s not recommended to get an all white tattoo…as an artist has already told you. Different people take white better than others but generally speaking it’s better as an accent or highlight than a main color. Very often white ink will fade and look more like the skin color or it may heal as yellowish or off white or even greyish looking. Trust what you’ve been told, an all white cross (or anything) is not a good idea.

This ^
keep the white for highlights!

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

Thijnk of it this way, tattoos are something that should be easily seen and catch your eye. With white ink, it become rather difficult to see unless you look at it pretty closely. Why spend the money and go through the pain to get something that can barely be seen? It might seem like a cool idea, but really doesnt work out in the end for multiple reasons.

tgrh8r25
Participant
@tgrh8r25

I know, but that’s actually the look I’m going for with this. It’s more of a personal tattoo than my other colored ones are, so if I’m the only one who really sees it, that’s cool. And I also want it white so that I can hide it more easily too since it will be in a more open spot. I’m ok with the paleness and if it turns a little gray that’s fine too.

reefdiver
Participant
@reefdiver

my fish has lots of white ink in it………..well………..HAD lots of white ink in it……..it has been recolored once already, after 3 years……..but i think that most of the white is just gone back to skin tone………

IMG_0015.jpg

the tattoo actually looks much better in person……..:D

tgrh8r25
Participant
@tgrh8r25

I think it looks pretty dang good!
I want more of the look of a scar anyway, so some fading is fine with me. lasting 3 years is a pretty decent amount of time too. Every tattoo fades…my color ones have faded too. It’s just what tattoos do. 🙂

Adler
Participant
@adler

Sounds to me like you’re going to be settling and making excuses for a poor tattoo. It’s your money and body but to accept a tattoo fading after only 3 years and wanting to keep it hidden and looking like a scar sounds unusual.

tgrh8r25
Participant
@tgrh8r25

that’s my personal choice. I want it to look like a scar. I know going in that with white ink there is a higher possibility of fading than with color. but my color and black ones have faded to over time, so this isn’t exactly news to me. there is a such thing as a tattoo having a personal meaning, not just getting one to attact attention.

Adler
Participant
@adler

Trust me I know about tattoos with personal meaning, a couple of mine are just that. But you can have a personal tattoo that looks nice orone that looks like crap and will need to be covered in a few years. But like you said, it’s your personal choice and you’ll get what you want anyway so I guess I’m not sure why you asked for opinions in the first place. I still also don’t get the logic that since your other tattoos have faded then this one might as well, also. But again, it’s not going to be on me so I don’t have to get the logic. Good luck whatever you choose, the artist will get paid regardless.

tgrh8r25
Participant
@tgrh8r25

Agree or disagree with my choice/reasons, I appreciate the advice just the same.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

If the scar is your main goal, why not just get… a scar? Leave the color out of it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.