bruce.lee
@

Im getting a half sleeve of black and grey Japanese style tattoo. The artist i spoke with mentioned what i wanted under the arm-pit area. He said some people like to leave bare skin in the shape of the triangle. He said in the japanese culture it has a specific meaning. Has anybody heard of this?

thanks!

bboarder06
Participant
@bboarder06

I can’t remember where I’ve heard that before, but I’m pretty sure your artist right. I wish I had some references to back it up, but sadly I can’t find anything.

I think if you are going the traditional route, you may want to think about incorporating a triangle (a circle is used as well) solely based on the tradition. But if you are only using Japanese images and aren’t going for a truly “traditional” tattoo, then it doesn’t really matter. If you can handle getting tattooed in your pit, then I say fill it up. It’s definitely a bearable area (just had work there a couple days ago).

clay1680
@

he is referring to a space on the inner arm and armpit which makes a “V” not sure about the significance of it though. i know that on body pieces there are certain ares that are left untattooed like a open area down the center of the chest down through the stomach area. ill try n find a pic of the “V” im referring to.

clay1680
@

kb8y1c.jpg

i found one hopes this helps out

flyangler
Participant
@flyangler

I don’t know if there is any meaning for doing what you posted. I would think it is left blank because of the tender skin in that area.

clay1680
@

no angler you jackass many people get that area tattooed, theres a specific reason for japenese tattoos that some areas are left blank. like down the chest and stomach theres an open area its for the same reason.

Last Angel
@

Actually Bruce.lee is on to something. I’m not sure if you have gotten your tattoo yet, but Japanese Tattoos are very meaningful, so everything done is usually on purpose. When tattoos where outlawed in Japan, criminals of a mafia status where commonly seen with full body suits. the triangle under the arm was a sign of rank in the criminal hiarchey, much like the bar or strip left untattooed in the center of the torso. I am unsure of the specifics, but i know once those areas were filled in, you have moved up in rank.

Aussie Tom
Participant
@aussie-tom
Last Angel;94767 wrote:
Actually Bruce.lee is on to something. I’m not sure if you have gotten your tattoo yet, but Japanese Tattoos are very meaningful, so everything done is usually on purpose. When tattoos where outlawed in Japan, criminals of a mafia status where commonly seen with full body suits. the triangle under the arm was a sign of rank in the criminal hiarchey, much like the bar or strip left untattooed in the center of the torso. I am unsure of the specifics, but i know once those areas were filled in, you have moved up in rank.

or…………..

Munewari (Chest dividing)

One of the traditional tattooing styles. A strip running down the center of the top half of the body is left clear of tattoos. It is a style developed originally to avoid tattoos showing from the collar line when one wears kimono.

-David-
Participant
@david-2
Aussie Tom;94884 wrote:
or…………..

Munewari (Chest dividing)

One of the traditional tattooing styles. A strip running down the center of the top half of the body is left clear of tattoos. It is a style developed originally to avoid tattoos showing from the collar line when one wears kimono.

I believe the same goes for the 3/4 sleeve. Read a book on the irizumi (spelling?) quite a while back and think that style of bodysuit chestpiece is called is called a “river”

Aussie Tom
Participant
@aussie-tom
-David-;94890 wrote:
I believe the same goes for the 3/4 sleeve. Read a book on the irizumi (spelling?) quite a while back and think that style of bodysuit chestpiece is called is called a “river”

Yeah Munewari or river is that middle section of the chest ๐Ÿ™‚ oh and Irezumi ๐Ÿ˜€

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Welcome to the forum Bruce Lee. I thought you was dead :O oh well nice idea be sure to hit us up with some pictures dood.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.