jacksonsoo
Participant
@jacksonsoo

Hi all! I’m new to this community and this is my first post. Would like to find out from all you tattoo lovers, how many of you would actually request to see your tattoo artist’s tattoo certification if it was not openly displayed? When i went to get my first tattoo many years ago, i didn’t dare do that for fear of … many things. Is this a common practise at all?

SteCleary
Participant
@stecleary

iv only ever got work don where it is on display, if its wasn’t and i asked for one and if i didn’t get it thye just wouldn’t get my custom, simple as that

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Since Ohio doesn’t certify anyone as a tattoo artist, I’d say I’d be more likely to focus on the presence of an autoclave, disposable ink pots, strong portfolios, and a professional atmosphere.

Also, asking your prospective artist whether he’d tattoo a cock riding a skateboard while smoking a bong would also be a good indicator of if this is a dude who should be poking me with needles.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia
KnightHawk;77787 wrote:
Since Ohio doesn’t certify anyone as a tattoo artist, I’d say I’d be more likely to focus on the presence of an autoclave, disposable ink pots, strong portfolios, and a professional atmosphere.

Also, asking your prospective artist whether he’d tattoo a cock riding a skateboard while smoking a bong would also be a good indicator of if this is a dude who should be poking me with needles.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Hey, I know a damn good artist who does tattoos like that all the time 😛 Maybe I just have crazy friends with crazy ideas, but.. A friend of mine has pretty much filled his entire leg with all kinds of stuff. Including a blue penis, and a black woman sitting on a toilet. And the artist is absolutely awesome! He does great work.

Back on track here.t
Well, Norway doesn’t certify anyone either. We have a informal Tattoo union which most of the professional tattoo artists are part of, but far from everyone is.
But it’s a pretty small country, so it’s easy to know if an artist is good or not. And they have to have a ceritification from the healt-department, regarding the autoclav, and that the location is legal to use for tattooing. So I’ve never really had any reason to ask.

jacksonsoo
Participant
@jacksonsoo

Wow, are you guys serious? This is something new for me. I didn’t know that in some places there are no formal tattoo artists. Funny, does that mean the industry is not popular there or anything (like goes again religion etc)? . Anyway, in Singapore approved tattoo artists must definitely have the proper certifications and must display them up somewhere easily visible. That’s the standard. There are however also cheap, uncertified tattoo artists who set up a table at the roadside and start inking customers! Usually foreigners because the implications of such an act are pretty serious.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

I think, jacksonsoo, that it’s less that tattooing is not popular in America (most states have no laws regulating the industry), and more that most Americans want to pretend that tattoos don’t exist, and if they do, well, you deserve to have your arm turn green and fall off.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

I’m just from a small country…
The government doesn’t really care. Their only concern at the moment, is how they can make tattoo artist’s pay taxes. Art is tax-free. Believe it or not; Strippers don’t pay taxes because they’re performing art. Tattoo artists however do. The scetch is the art, the tattoo is only a copy. Yes, I’m serious.

So, other than that, and checking that the autoclav etc works, the government stays out of it.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Why would you be scared of asking? I always ask and if they don’t need a certificate then ask about an autoclave and whether you can see the spore count certificates to make sure they keeping their stuff clean. (I ask about both anyhow even if I see their certificate).

Even then if you have the slightest doubt and don’t see them breaking out the sterile gear – don’t get tattooed.

A professional has nothing to hide and no shame in asking questions that can impact on your life.

Take care
Matthew

TooManyNotEnough
Participant
@toomanynotenough

I judge my tattooers by their work and space not some certification. With that being said I don’t think I have ever noticed any of my tattooers with their “certification” visable…I guess I will now look out of curiosity. Things that make you go hmmmmm?

jacksonsoo
Participant
@jacksonsoo

Wow Pox, i gotta say that your comment was interesting. How then does the community of tattoo artists react to that, i wonder?

Well anyway maybe i used the wrong word. I shouldn’t say scared. I mean, if i’m gonna let you poke me with needles, i gotta have to make sure you’re certified! There’s no going around this.

What i really meant was , because usually friends are the ones who bring me to tattoo artists, so these tattoo artists are friends of my friends. This means that i have to show a certain level of trust because it would be rude to ‘not trust my friend’ so to speak. More of a human relations things.

But i’m sure there’re right methods to use though… just haven’t found it

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.