josh2603
Participant
@josh2603

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if I could borrow your brains. I came up with an idea for a tattoo a few years ago and have been working on fine tuning it since. The idea is the family tree kind but I want to represent strength, heritage and the future. So my idea is this: A traditional british tree (not sure what tree yet – maybe the Sorbus torminalis [wild service tree] which is found in Leigh woods) which starts from roots which shoot down and ‘in’ my lower back (to symbolise that my beginning keep me grounded) and grows up and ‘around’ my spine (symbolising strength, stability and growth), then to come down, around and ‘in’ my arms and to look like they breaking out of my skin and down my upper arms and sprout leaves at my hand and wrists. I think I want my daughter’s name on one of the leaves or flowers (to symbolise the future and beauty from humble beginnings). What do you guys think? I’m not sure if i’ve complicated it all and I’m not the most creative person in the world, that’s for sure. Also, I have a tattoo in chinese on my chest over my heart which translates to “forever in my heart” which is reference to my brother who passed away when I was a kid. I want to incorporate that somehow but not sure. Maybe make it look like that tattoo has been etched into a branch of the tree, like it’s been cut into me. Does that make sense? Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys.

Josh

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

IMO, the best tattoos are those that only cover a single surface/canvas ie your back, your chest, your arm, your leg are all an individual canvas.

For me, something so detailed would look best just on your back. You want to be able to see the whole picture at once. It’s like bending a painting around a corner, you’ll only see one part at once which spoils the over all feel of te piece.

I may have totally misunderstood what you meant by it breaking out of your arms and if so apologise for making you read all that ^ lol.

The bits I understood though sound like a great idea for a big piece though 🙂

josh2603
Participant
@josh2603

thanks for th feed back hey. Yeah, I know what you mean. I see what you mean. I guess the idea of it is to be dynamic and reflect that it is just as a part of me as I am a part of it. You don’t think that he fact that if the rest of a picture is just around the corner, that makes it even more interesting and you want to go see what the rest looks like?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.