Jackadoodle
@

Hello folks!

I’m currently proofreading a bunch of short stories for a local publisher. There’s a particular plot involving a man who got several tattoos back in the 70s. Since I have absolutely no idea about tattoos altogether and especially their history, I thought I might ask the pros!

In the story, one of these tattoos is stretching across the man’s back – four letters: GREY. The font, according to the author, is gothic – big, bold, serifs. Pretty big chunk on the man’s back is filled with patterns and stuff.

My question: were tattoos like this usual back in the 70s? Were they done at all? Is such a tattoo realistic for this particular period, or did the author just take what he sees today and transfers it into the 1970s?

I’d be extremely greatful about any kind of help!

Thanks!

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

1970’s would fall into the category of “old school”. You can do a search on google and see the kinds of tattoos that were being done. For the most part, I don’t think names and wording across the back was very popular until you start getting into gang type “graffiti” tattoos. Not saying that gang members only have this kind of ink, but I think that is where they originated. I also think that it would depend on the characters background. Example: if your character was in the navy or some other branch of military, they would more likely have those nautical themed designs. Google “Sailor Jerry” and you will see what I mean. Now I was born in 1970 so I may be talking out my ass and maybe some of the older members here will pipe in.
Peace

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.