teh_universe
Participant
@teh_universe

Hi everyone. I want to get a tattoo. I have a half-sleeve I’m planning, but I don’t want to get that for a while. But I do want to get something on my left arm. (Half-sleeve is for my right arm.) Unfortunately, I’ve never gotten a tattoo before, and I’m not sure what to get. I’m not religious, and I don’t want something I might now like later. I thought about something video game related, as I played a lot of Sonic and stuff when I was little. Do you guys have any ideas?

I also thought about maybe a Japanese proverb, but is that too cliche? Maybe something like:

十人十色
juunin toiro

It’s literal meaning is “Ten people, ten colors”. A loose translation would be “To each his own”, or “Different strokes, different folks”, but I’m afraid that sounds too dumb.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
teh_universe;72462 wrote:
Hi everyone. I want to get a tattoo. I have a half-sleeve I’m planning, but I don’t want to get that for a while. But I do want to get something on my left arm. (Half-sleeve is for my right arm.) Unfortunately, I’ve never gotten a tattoo before, and I’m not sure what to get. I’m not religious, and I don’t want something I might now like later. I thought about something video game related, as I played a lot of Sonic and stuff when I was little. Do you guys have any ideas?

I also thought about maybe a Japanese proverb, but is that too cliche? Maybe something like:

十人十色
juunin toiro

It’s literal meaning is “Ten people, ten colors”. A loose translation would be “To each his own”, or “Different strokes, different folks”, but I’m afraid that sounds too dumb.

Ok, Here’s my take. You should not get a tat just to get one so if you aren’t sure what you want don’t force it. I personally dislike getting tattoos in foreign languages. They are over done, you rarely know exactly what the tat means since a lot of asian symbols mean multiple things and really, it’s WAY OVER DONE!

If you really want this don’t let anyone talk you out of it. Can you come up with an image that represents what you want? Remember, TEN PEOPLE, TEN COLORS is only 4 words. You can get 996 more words with the right picture.

Just my .02

xxTOPDOGxx
Participant
@xxtopdogxx

I’m with G here. Kanji is way over done and in my opinion was invented just to make money for crappy tattoo artists that have no talent. Go to the fair or some other gathering and count the kanji (mostly done poorly by some kitchen magician) it will change your mind. I wouldn’t say don’t get inked just to do it, because I enjoy the process as much as the final product (I tell my wife its tattoo therapy). Find something that you enjoy and then imagine yourself explaining it to your grandchild 30 years from now.

You: Yea thats Sonic the Hedgehog little Johnny, it was a very popular video game when I was your age.
Little Johnny: Whats a video game grampa?

You get the idea. Animals are always good and old school designs are always cool, it depends on your taste.

Keep in mind it doesn’t always have to mean something.

teh_universe
Participant
@teh_universe
Gsouder;72467 wrote:
Ok, Here’s my take. You should not get a tat just to get one so if you aren’t sure what you want don’t force it. I personally dislike getting tattoos in foreign languages. They are over done, you rarely know exactly what the tat means since a lot of asian symbols mean multiple things and really, it’s WAY OVER DONE!

If you really want this don’t let anyone talk you out of it. Can you come up with an image that represents what you want? Remember, TEN PEOPLE, TEN COLORS is only 4 words. You can get 996 more words with the right picture.

Just my .02

I agree. I’m just not sure what I do want. I’m not in a rush to go out and get one, but I would like to get one done.

xxTOPDOGxx;72492 wrote:
I’m with G here. Kanji is way over done and in my opinion was invented just to make money for crappy tattoo artists that have no talent. Go to the fair or some other gathering and count the kanji (mostly done poorly by some kitchen magician) it will change your mind. I wouldn’t say don’t get inked just to do it, because I enjoy the process as much as the final product (I tell my wife its tattoo therapy). Find something that you enjoy and then imagine yourself explaining it to your grandchild 30 years from now.

You: Yea thats Sonic the Hedgehog little Johnny, it was a very popular video game when I was your age.
Little Johnny: Whats a video game grampa?

You get the idea. Animals are always good and old school designs are always cool, it depends on your taste.

Keep in mind it doesn’t always have to mean something.

I never thought about that, and you’re right, it doesn’t have to mean something. How do I go about finding a good artist? He/She can help me with the design, right?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.