Scroll
Participant
@scroll

I’m looking to get a sleeve based round a samurai and a geisha. I’ve found designs of both that I want but I’m not sure what type of background I want. The samurai and geisha are both in a fairly realistic style so am thinking of having Japanese scenery as a background (cherry blossom, pagodas etc). Does anyone have any ideas?

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

before i give any sort of suggestions I have a few quick questions….

what are the samurai and geisha doing?
ie….positions they are in (sitting, standing, looking at or away form each other, etc)

what kind of kimono does she have on….patterns I mean

any other details you want to disclose about the design.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

I think a large cherry blossom tree with wind bars coming off and leaves flying through them would look cool and be a little traditional at the same time.

Scroll
Participant
@scroll

The samurai is sideways facings, crouching slightly and holding a sword. The geisha is forward facing. Her kimono is fairly plain, it just has a few swirls on it.

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee
Scroll;71951 wrote:
The samurai is sideways facings, crouching slightly and holding a sword. The geisha is forward facing. Her kimono is fairly plain, it just has a few swirls on it.

generally, a geisha’s kimono is extravagant and the patterns generally tell you what season it is. This is why I asked about the kimono pattern. The more extravagant the pattern, the higher priced she is. (generally has nothing to do with sexual prowess.)

sakura or cherry blossoms refer to fleeting beauty before death and impermanence of said beauty.

one more question……
are the samurai and geisha interacting in any sort of way, like is he facing towards her or away?

Scroll
Participant
@scroll

The way the samurai is postioned I think it’s probably going to look better if he’s facing away from the geisha. Why do you ask? I was thinking of having the samurai on the top of my arm, with cherry blossom kind of framing him around my shoulder. the geisha would be further down, perhaps on the inner arm but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee
Scroll;71955 wrote:
The way the samurai is postioned I think it’s probably going to look better if he’s facing away from the geisha. Why do you ask? I was thinking of having the samurai on the top of my arm, with cherry blossom kind of framing him around my shoulder. the geisha would be further down, perhaps on the inner arm but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If they were engaged in some sort of interaction, that would be easy with one sort of general background.

With them not really interacting and him facing away, there would have to be some sort of disconnect. doesnt have to be great but it wouldn’t make sense if both of them were in the same kind of background especially since he is going to be in an aggressive stance and she isn’t.

If you put sakura, she would have the flowers still on the tree and he should have the scattered petals.
But please do something different other than cherry blossoms; practically everybody and their sister has some form of cherry blossoms somewhere.

What if you put something different like maple….just starting to turn color at the start of autumn. This way, they canbe sort of on the same background without making a big difference.
Research the artist Hasegawa Tohaku – Maple Tree. Late 16th century. Chishakuin, Kyoto.

don’t need the large trunk of the tree like that in the painting, but you get the idea of what I’m talking about with the maple if you look up that sliding door painting.

My2centz
Participant
@my2centz

Fierce looking dragon behind the two subjects maybe intertwined a little but colored light black and grey as not to draw attention away from the two subjects which will be colored I assume.
The light black and grey dragon would give it a “there but not really there kind of mystical look”.

Also depends if you ultimately wish to end up with a full sleeve later on down the track. I believe good planing and especially the mapping out of tattoos when considering a sleeve is important.
Especially if your getting the odd one here and there.

Just my 2 cents.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.