knarF
Participant
@knarf

A lot of people seem to think tattoo’s need to have meanings or something deep behind them, my girlfriend is one of them, however i just think of it as art. As long as you don’t regret it i don’t see why it should need a meaning, but at the same time i understand people getting tattoo’s for a memorial or whatever.

What do you think, should you get a tattoo for a specific reason / representation, or just because you want one?

Ben1985
Participant
@ben1985

To me, meaning is an added bonus. It’s great if something you get has it, but there is nothing wrong with just getting something because you like it.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
knarF;71184 wrote:
A lot of people seem to think tattoo’s need to have meanings or something deep behind them, my girlfriend is one of them, however i just think of it as art. As long as you don’t regret it i don’t see why it should need a meaning, but at the same time i understand people getting tattoo’s for a memorial or whatever.

What do you think, should you get a tattoo for a specific reason / representation, or just because you want one?

I think every tattoo has some kind of meaning. I mean, art expresses who we are and since you are getting art on your body it will represent you to some degree or another which brings some sort of meaning to the piece. You might not have a cool LA ink story that goes with it and that’s ok but it will have some reflective powers. Even if you go in to an artist you really like and say “tattoo me” with no plan, that tattoo means that you trust and appreciate an artists talent enough to let them “have their way with you” for lack of a better term.

Sometimes a tat is just fucking cool! That’s fine, and no one should piss on your ideas. In my opinion they all mean something to the person who is wearing it every day- even if that meaning is negative

srt14292
Participant
@srt14292

I think if the tattoo looks bad ass and you like it, go for it, but if theres a meaning behind it then thats all good, I can’t stand people being adamant that if you have a tattoo it MUST mean something so dramatic, they have watched stuff like LA and Miami ink too much.

Rockysmom
Participant
@rockysmom

I think some people are afraid to get a tattoo if it doesn’t have meaning.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Personally, most of my tattoos don’t have a ‘meaning’ per se, but they all express who and what I am, where I’ve been and where I’m going. The only tattoo what has a specific (LA Ink grade?) meaning, is the phoenix I’m getting, which is why it’s taking such a long time to get it right.

Gregelicious
Participant
@gregelicious
Rockysmom;71207 wrote:

I’m somewhat like this, like if someone asks me why did u get that tattoo, I don’t like saying cause it looks cool, I want to be able to describe to them a meaning it might have

but, I look at tattoos like art on your body, and any tattoo that u do get, it just shows the love you have for art that you’re willing to get it engraved on u forever

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w
Rockysmom;71207 wrote:

Curse you, miami/LA ink!

My2centz
Participant
@my2centz

Hi guys,
Being of Maori decent, I naturally have strong opinions on this topic…
Ta Moko-to strike or tap/tattoo is nothing but meaning to my people, we had no written language. Our history was recorded through song, carving and Ta Moko/tattoo. Tattoo identified you, told you your rank in the pecking order, genealogy, tribe you belonged to right down to the job you held.

It is not until now that I am able to interpret most of these works. What you see on youtube, worn by celebrities is only “kirituhi”-generic surface decoration. 20 years from now I will bear a full facial Moko complete with in-depth meaning- I dont know about all dem sticks, stones and bones though. machine for me thank you very much.

I’m not against people wearing these designs, I am expressing to you what tattoo means to me.
By the way if your on the fence weather to go tribal or Maori…. go Maori, I’ll even draw up the design for you.
And if you want it to come with in-depth meaning… well you’ll have to marry my sister!

You have a good one guys

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey

I’m sort of with Gsouder on this, or with a lot of tattoos anyway. I mean, if you’re just into japanese art etc and want a sleeve, there might be nothing behind it, and same with a sleeve of tribal.

But, in many cases, like Arnividar said, it expresses who you are even if it’s not deeply personal. In my case, my tattoo is intensely meaningful. I’m planning a couple of others (which sadly I’ll probably never get) and they do have meaning behind them in varying degrees, but they’re also a self expression in a less serious way.

I think a combination is best. Some meaning, but with a serious eye for the aesthetics of it

Poesy

My2centz
Participant
@my2centz

I totaly agree with you on the combination thing Poesy, sorry if i dug a little to deep on my last post.
Any who, Ive always wanted a reaper opposing an angel type backpiece, covering whole back and top quality work of course. Does this mean I believe in dragons demons and the boogy man. No it just depicts the balance of good-evil, light-dark to me.

As long as we’re happy with our piece thats all that matters. If it has meaning to you, well good. If your drawing blanks when you look at it, no problem, if the aesthetics and overall feel of the design works for you…. «:::P:::» «:::E:::» «:::R:::» «:::F:::» «:::E:::» «:::C:::» «:::T:::»

Jonny Rasclart
Participant
@jonny-rasclart

Mine up till now have all had meaning but now I’m getting more done because I like them.
That’s enough of a reason for me.
Mates of mine also think i’m diving head long into a midlife crisis!!!

LouDmnz4ever
Participant
@loudmnz4ever

I didn’t read everyones posts but this is a something me and my friends talk about constantly. Its great to have meaning behind a tattoo, but not completely needed.Some people choose pictures, some people choose music, some people choose filming, and others choose tattoos. Just another form of art.

looney bin escapee
Participant
@looney-bin-escapee

I think if you’re going to have certain cultural tattoos represented, you should understand the meanings behind the designs and the representations. Then again, there are the whimsical tatts.

I lean more towards the cultural tatts with meanings behind them.

In Polynesian tattoos (where the word tattoo comes from), every line and design had a meaning. There were no filler designs.
Japanese tattoos have major and minor parts to a tattoo or primary and secondary designs. Both of which have meanings and they need to work in harmony with each other.

However, I’m not discounting any other tattoos as less important. I think anyone can get what they want. Each tattoo means something different to each individual and the reasons for getting them vary as well, that’s what counts the most.
BUT, if someone is going to rock a Japanese tattoo and its completely wrong in the representation, the placement, etc….I’m generally going to call ’em on it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.