sunsplash
Participant
@sunsplash

Hey guys…I just joined this forum and would love some ideas and feedback for my next tattoo! I currently have a “tramp stamp” that I love and don’t think is trampy at all :p and a inner hip/tummy tat honoring my daughter. I’m more on the modest/discrete side with my personal tattoos so I do take into consideration size and location as I draw them up but appreciate the big and bold as well. 😉

This passed Tuesday was the 2 year anniversary of my beloved dogs passing, and I’ve wanted a memorial tattoo for him since that dark day. Since I’m not into larger pieces on myself, my current idea is a spin on the generic walking paw prints – I’ve designed a hugs and kisses logo with two paw prints as the “o”. I’m not into black and grey and prefer a splash of color, so other than coloring the x’s, what else could I do? Should I add anything else to it’s simple design or keep it basic for what it is, my missing his love? I hope to be able to make the paw prints actually look inked and not a solid cartoony color, but considering I want it on the small side, I know that may not be possible.

Location is something else I can’t decide on. Initially when I was just considering a single paw print, I was going to put it high on my upper outer thigh. I eventually would like smaller tats on the back of my neck and inner wrist as well, but I’m not sure those locations are right for this piece. It was suggested to me yesterday by a friend to put in on the side of my ribs, like an inch below where my bra or bikini strap would end. I really like this idea but typically the side rib area is reserved for larger, more ornate tattoos. Would something small and simple like what I want look out of place in that area?

Thanks for your help and I look forward to hearing suggestions!

sunsplash
Participant
@sunsplash

🙁 No takers, huh?

Ok, well I’ve decided to get the tattoo on the 27th of this month – the anniversary of his adoption – a day much more worthy of memorial rather than his passing. I’m pretty much set on the “xoxo” idea with paw prints for the “o” on the side of my ribs, but still need some ideas on coloring and if more should be added. I don’t want it too simple but maybe it’s fine the way it is. He was orange/black so I was thinking of doing the black paw prints with orange “x” but don’t want it to look Halloween-y (and I’m afraid orange won’t show well on my skin), if that makes sense.

Ideas?

Dice
Participant
@dice

Do what you feel is right 🙂

cruciaL
Participant
@crucial

i like your idea.

i think you should add the dot design around it as well.
if you look at my album, there’s a picture of me being tattooed by the artist and her arm has the dotted design im talking about.. but you do have to look closely haha

anyway hope it turns out great!

Dice
Participant
@dice

What Crucial said…

wickedjr89
Participant
@wickedjr89

Do what you feel is right. Good luck with it and I hope it turns out great!

thetattoist
Participant
@thetattoist

wow! i hope it will turn out great. but do you prefer off the wall or own tattoo design? which is nice? what do you think?

Smutly
Participant
@smutly

Hello Sunsplash,
for what it is worth, here is my take on it.
Firstly, I think the placement on the upper ribcage is great. Your tattooist will be able to place it just right ( not too far around to the side ) and it will look nice.
Secondly, for a splash of color, I would suggest that the “xoxo” is done with the paw prints as you originally wanted. I would, however, do them in a muddy black. I would then use a pastel orange behind it in the shape of a heart or a cross ( your preference ) and would, of course, NOT outline the background color. Just have it simply fade out where the outline would normally be.
Orange works well on the majority of people and you wouldn’t want it a solid orange anyway. Keep it soft and pastel and those who see it will probably need to look twice to recognize the heart (?) in the background. I believe this concept would suit your purpose and still look feminine.
Food for thought.

sunsplash
Participant
@sunsplash
thetattoist;74265 wrote:
wow! i hope it will turn out great. but do you prefer off the wall or own tattoo design? which is nice? what do you think?

I’ve never done off the wall…I prefer to go in with my own design. My tramp stamp I drew completely myself (though not really unique ideas – twin dolphins with a fiery gemini symbol) and my tummy tat is a replica of a South American statue I have…the flowers were added by the artists suggestion.

Smutly wrote:
Hello Sunsplash,
for what it is worth, here is my take on it.
Firstly, I think the placement on the upper ribcage is great. Your tattooist will be able to place it just right ( not too far around to the side ) and it will look nice.
Secondly, for a splash of color, I would suggest that the “xoxo” is done with the paw prints as you originally wanted. I would, however, do them in a muddy black. I would then use a pastel orange behind it in the shape of a heart or a cross ( your preference ) and would, of course, NOT outline the background color. Just have it simply fade out where the outline would normally be.
Orange works well on the majority of people and you wouldn’t want it a solid orange anyway. Keep it soft and pastel and those who see it will probably need to look twice to recognize the heart (?) in the background. I believe this concept would suit your purpose and still look feminine.
Food for thought.

Hmmm, the heart background is interesting and I like the not outlining idea (I’m not Christian so don’t want the cross). When you say muddy black, are you referring to the smudgy ink-print style that I want or is that an actual color?

I was originally thinking a splash of color in the “x” part…should I just keep them black like the prints or will the prints stand out more if the “x”s are solid? Here’s a Paint Shop mock-up that I made kind of showing the basic idea of what I want.

2 1/2 more days left 😀

sunsplash
Participant
@sunsplash
cruciaL;74233 wrote:
i like your idea.

i think you should add the dot design around it as well.
if you look at my album, there’s a picture of me being tattooed by the artist and her arm has the dotted design im talking about.. but you do have to look closely haha

anyway hope it turns out great!

I can’t really see the dot design you mean…is there another reference so I can see the style you mean?

trickortreat
@

I had a half sleeve put on last year. I went through a website that had LOTS of cool ideas. http://christopher12336.tattoodesignhelp.info This site is awsome if you don’t already know what you want done.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.