KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Last summer, when I got 2/3 of my death sleeve done, I started wearing a long sleeve t-shirt whenever I plan go outside to confront that burning ball of fucking pain in the sky. Hell, today I was out hauling stone for my aunt in 80 degree weather wearing one. Even when I’m driving up to my gym, I wear a windbreaker over my sleeveless wieghtlifting shirt.

I do it because I’ve got this idea in my head that sun = faded tattoos, and I don’t (yet) have the capability to destroy the sun. Trust me, I’m working on it. Need more funding to acquire the requisite iridium, and a man can only whore so fast. Anyway, because I am bored out of my fucking skull and feel as if I’d go cross-eyed if I draw one more design, I’m wondering do any of the rest of you cover up when you’re going out, or do you let your ink hang out?

Love. Peace. Metallica.

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

This is something I have been putting a lot of thought into.

It’s my first summer with my tattoo, but it’s only mostly visible when I wear a bikini. So I bought a really cute one piece bathing suit, but I still feel so matronly. heh. I also bought an SPF 100.
I haven’t really decided which route I’m going to go, so I’d especially love to hear the input of folks who have not covered up their ink, but used sunblock.

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228

me personally, when i go out i just throw some sunscreen on. i feel it will work just as good as cloth… at least its supposed to. i have not had any fading as of yet

dannyboy
Participant
@dannyboy

i live in Australia where the climate is very harsh, so i also wear long sleeve shirts when im out in the sun, but ive basically become a creature of the night

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, you can easily get sunburned through thin shirts and dresses and the like, so I would assume that tattoos will require high SPF sunblock even WITH the long sleeves.

For me, my tattoos are not meant to be seen in the normal work enviroment, but I would never try hiding them outside the workplace. I guess I’d rather use sunblock and touch-up every 10-15 years than die of heatstroke because I’m wearing too thick/much clothing in the heat.

S.Neill
Participant
@s-neill

I never cover mine, and I ride Motorcycles most of the time. Tattoo Goo and a couple other companies make a sunblock for tattooed skin

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
S.Neill;68286 wrote:
I never cover mine, and I ride Motorcycles most of the time. Tattoo Goo and a couple other companies make a sunblock for tattooed skin

If I rode, it’d probably be different, but I’m a fucking hazard on a bike. Seriously, I’ve failed the driver’s test 6 times now and wrecked my bike so many times it’s a god damn junk pile now.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228
KnightHawk;68292 wrote:
If I rode, it’d probably be different, but I’m a fucking hazard on a bike. Seriously, I’ve failed the driver’s test 6 times now and wrecked my bike so many times it’s a god damn junk pile now.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

holy crap!! 😮 i rode 2 years without a licence and have been riding another 3 years since i got my license, never once wrecked any of my bikes, or so much as even dropped them! maybe you have balance problems or something :confused:

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
Apostle 228;68306 wrote:
holy crap!! 😮 i rode 2 years without a licence and have been riding another 3 years since i got my license, never once wrecked any of my bikes, or so much as even dropped them! maybe you have balance problems or something :confused:

My problem isn’t staying up, it’s stopping. I always fail the stop suddenly portion of the driver’s test. Hell, look at the last wreck that trashed my bike–I plowed into the back of a van. I came up over the handle bars, slammed into the back of the thing with my right shoulder, and slammed down nuts first on my gas tank. I then slowly slid off my bike to the ground and taught the neighborhood children a few new words in a high pitched voice. Since dumbass wasn’t wearing his helmet, I’m just glad I wasn’t going that fast.

I can stay up all day though. That counts for something, right? 😀

Love. Peace. Metallica.

ElevenEleven
Participant
@eleveneleven

I let them hang out and I wear sunscreen, which doesn’t work. Where I live we’ve had maybe five-ten days of hot sunny weather so far this year and I’ve already got my summer tan (and tan lines) well established. My oldest tattoos are still pretty young (6 years) and they look fine.

I figured from the start after about a decade or (hopefully) more they’d need colour touch ups to freshen them up. I spend a lot of time outside and long sleeves all summer are just not an option. Too uncomfortable and I’m already miserable all winter (I live in Canada) – I REFUSE to be miserable all summer as well.

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228
KnightHawk;68307 wrote:
My problem isn’t staying up, it’s stopping. I always fail the stop suddenly portion of the driver’s test. Hell, look at the last wreck that trashed my bike–I plowed into the back of a van. I came up over the handle bars, slammed into the back of the thing with my right shoulder, and slammed down nuts first on my gas tank. I then slowly slid off my bike to the ground and taught the neighborhood children a few new words in a high pitched voice. Since dumbass wasn’t wearing his helmet, I’m just glad I wasn’t going that fast.

I can stay up all day though. That counts for something, right? 😀

Love. Peace. Metallica.

ah haha! im sorry, but i find your story slightly comical, not to laugh at someone else’s expense or anything. well, only partially… 😀

unfortunately there are VERY strict helmet laws here in CA… i cant even run down the street to 7-11 without one! what a joke.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
Apostle 228;68431 wrote:
ah haha! im sorry, but i find your story slightly comical, not to laugh at someone else’s expense or anything. well, only partially… 😀

unfortunately there are VERY strict helmet laws here in CA… i cant even run down they street to 7-11 without one! what a joke.

Don’t worry about it man, I tell the story the way I do to get a laugh. It’s one of those things you gotta laugh or cry about, ya know?

Ohio only says riders in their first year or under 18 gotta wear a brains bucket–a passenger has to wear one only if the driver does. I’m kind of two minds of helmet laws. On one hand, they make sense. They’re annoying as fuck, but they do makes sense. On the other hand….I don’t wanna.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

rev_martin4
Participant
@rev_martin4

My half sleeve was started in February and finished in September. I didn’t wear sunscreen that summer and the bottom part that stuck out of my sleeve faded and changed color drastically. It was in the sun every day because it’s my left arm and while driving, that arm gets a lot of sunlight. When my artist finished my tattoo, he redid the color on the bottom half so that it looked new again. Now I keep sunscreen in my car and put it on my arm every morning when I go out. The color hasn’t faded or changed yet. So I would say that sunscreen is effective.

It’s the UV rays that break down the ink and cause it to fade/change color. Sunscreen is designed specifically to block UV rays, so it makes sense that it’s working.

-Rev

S.Neill
Participant
@s-neill
KnightHawk;68433 wrote:
Don’t worry about it man, I tell the story the way I do to get a laugh. It’s one of those things you gotta laugh or cry about, ya know?

Ohio only says riders in their first year or under 18 gotta wear a brains bucket–a passenger has to wear one only if the driver does. I’m kind of two minds of helmet laws. On one hand, they make sense. They’re annoying as fuck, but they do makes sense. On the other hand….I don’t wanna.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Texas only reguires you to wear a helmet if you are under 21, I rarely ever wear one and I’ve been riding most of my life. Irf its raining or cold I wear a 3/4 helmet, if I go to Ft. Worth, Dallas, or Houston I’ll wear a helmet, otherwise I don’t wear one. I never use sunscreen any more, and I’m sure my tattoos have faded, but not sure its much of a drastic difference. My arms are about 9/10 black and gray, and my legs are 100% black and gray, there is not a great deal of difference in color between the two. Maybe that is just me though.

vizzielover
Participant
@vizzielover
KnightHawk;68433 wrote:

Love. Peace. Metallica.

UK law says “No helmet, no bike” and that’s for everyone………….I have the same rule for my granddaughters when they have their horse riding lessons – no hat, no pony!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.