KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Totally Stylin’ Tattoos Barbie.

It bugs the shit out of me because it dings all my tattoo annoyance buttons. She’s a tall, big titted blonde dressed like a woman in her early twenties—in other words, a sorority girl. Her tattoos are all flash work, hearts, kanji, ect, and they’re all small. No larger or custom work. No thought or reflection. Just walk in, point at the wall, get the mass produced ink.

More, she’s called TOTALLY STYLIN’ TATTOOS BARBIE! It says it right there in the name. To this bitch, tattoos aren’t a passion, they aren’t an art, they aren’t part of who they are. They’re a fashion accessory. A god damn style. She just doesn’t care. All she wants is the dime sized rose on her hip to show how naughty she is.

To me, it’s no different than Totally Stylin’ Jew Barbie, now with unleavened bread fashion accessories!

Love. Peace. Metallica.

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

Aaaaaw, is my imidiate reaction 😛 My nickname is tattoo barbie, so I kinda like it ;p But I’ve got big custom tattoes, guess that’s the only difference to be honest.
And I guess little hearts and kanji is easier to sell to young girls, than big full sleeves and backpieces.
I would’ve loved it as a kid, considering that I used to draw tattoos on my barbie dolls.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

🙂

Those weren’t actually the responses I was expecting – I posted it in terms of small children and exposure to tattooing, the prejudices of people commenting on it who think that the idea’s somehow morally degenerate…which is bizarre really. I think it’s a really cute idea, I loved Henna tattoos when I was little, and I also loved putting shiny stickers at the corners of my eyes. I don’t want my tattoo now because of how I played when I was five, I want it because it’s important for me. I even went off tattoos for a few years when I was 14 or so, so I think it’s odd parents assuming that their children will automatically want tattoos at age 5.

All repsonses are interesting though.

But surely, the nature of the tattoo’s themselves shouldnt matter? I get what you’re saying about it being treated as ‘fashion’ and people ‘not caring’. I guess here in the case of the barbie doll it’s because of what sells, and, due to the sexualising of children that is going on in society, girls who are into barbie are also expected to be into pink, princesses etc. They are more likely to like small and pretty things rather than sleeves and backpieces because that’s how they’ve been brought up and so on, so it’s makes economic sense for Mattel to use those tattoos (making a slight vicious cycle but there you are) (I’m not saying that’s RIGHT but companies generally ignore that when making a profit)

But don’t you think you’re sterotyping a bit knight hawk. Not every girl who gets a small tattoo is a sorority girl (not a commonly used english term so I might have misinterpreted) and nor does every girl who gets a small tattoo care any less about the art on their bodies. I’m intending to have a small one, and I’ve spent over a year designing it. I’m not getting it to giggle over how naughty I am either. But hey, maybe some girls do. But surely every one has their own reasons for getting a tattoo and every reason is as valid another, just as any tattoo is important to someone regardless of taste. There’s enough stereotyping from people who don’t have tattoos…don’t add to the stereotyping!

Poesy

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228

i personally just think its funny. nothing more than that.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

It’s interesting to me that a lot of the people on this site are upset that tattoos are still considered taboo and react when they are stared at or people make comments but on the other hand they don’t like it when pop culture starts to embrace the tattoo world. It’s a weird attitude, a “have my cake and eat it too” thing. One side has to give.

As far as this thread specifically, I think it’s great! the more people that think tattoos are ok the more open society will be to my sleeves. I think Knight hawks points are fundamentally valid but I think he is forgetting that most people start with something small and build from there when they are exposed to the art side of tattoos. This is key, and it starts with an open minded attitude to tattoos which is exactly what this product will provide.

Just my .02, take it or leave it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.