bjornvil
Participant
@bjornvil

Hey guys

I’ve got a tattoo on my lower back. It is basically a tribal “tramp stamp”.

Now… when I was getting the tattoo, about 10 years ago when I was 17, the “tramp stamp” tattoo with the ladies wasn’t such a big thing… at least I didn’t know about it at the time. I saw a picture of a dude sporting a similar tattoo in an album in the tattoo shop I went to to get my first tattoo and I though it looked really cool. I thought about it for quite some time, even went as far as designing the tattoo myself although I really couldn’t draw for shit. Eventually I went ahead and got the tattoo.

img00261.jpg

OK… so a few years pass, and all of a sudden every other chick with an attitude is getting these lower back tattoos, and obviously I start to get comments and jokes associated with the tattoo. I was quite satisfied with the tattoo so I just ignored the jokes and comment and didn’t really let it bother me.

Now, I still get comments sometimes, and honestly does bother me sometimes. Am I doomed to listen to smart ass comments from people about the tattoo everywhere I go? Are lower back tattoos only for chicks?

I know the design is a lame tribal design, but I drew it myself and that does mean something to me. I am in the process of covering other smaller tribals I had on my arms with Japanese style tattoos (http://www.thetattooforum.com/japanese-style-hannya-bird-halfsleeve-t12776.html?t=12776&highlight=bjornvil). Should I perhaps try a coverup or perhaps try to incorporate the tattoo into some kind of picture that would go well with my other tats? Or should I just wear my tramp stamp with pride and ignore the jokes/haters etc?

Looking forward to your comments guys!

vizzielover
Participant
@vizzielover

My question would be “If you didn’t get the comments would you still be happy with your ink? If so, leave well alone – then again there is nothing wrong with improving on something if you feel the need!

irishman301
Participant
@irishman301

Don’t sweat it, it looks fine.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

As a fellow male trampstampee, I encourage you to keep you chin up and don’t let the bastards get you down. Mine is actually more trampy stampy than ours is- I got some san skirt lettering right in the middle of my lower back. It looks like a asian license plate back there!

Personally, I wouldn’t change a thing about myself based on what some dumb ass judgmental loser thinks of my tattoo. It means a lot to me, the base of my spine is a power place to put what I wanted and if someone doesn’t like it it, well, screw them.

Besides, no ones perfect. If they are really giving you shit point out something about them that’s kind of lame.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Well, here’s the deal man. Lower-back tattoos can be masculine as all hell. I know a few bikers with badass tattoos down that way, and it don’t make them look girly because they don’t whine about people thinking they look effeminate.

On the other hand, that tattoo does suck. The fill’s a little uneven in spots, and it looks like flashwork. I’d get it covered on general principles.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

KJD2121
Participant
@kjd2121

So you are a dude with a tramp stamp? LOL. Honestly I would get that covered up ASAP. I couldn’t stand to get gay comments all the time.

Find a good artist that can cover that bitch up!!!

Just telling it like it is bro.

bjornvil
Participant
@bjornvil
KnightHawk;67399 wrote:
Well, here’s the deal man. Lower-back tattoos can be masculine as all hell. I know a few bikers with badass tattoos down that way, and it don’t make them look girly because they don’t whine about people thinking they look effeminate.

On the other hand, that tattoo does suck. The fill’s a little uneven in spots, and it looks like flashwork. I’d get it covered on general principles.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Haha! Thanks for the honest reply. And all the other replies as well. I really do feel better about it ๐Ÿ™‚

But KnightHawk, that’s basically how I feel. I feel like if I had something not as “trampstampy” it wouldn’t be a big deal.

Only thing I am afraid of is that since this is a fairly large tattoo it is probably quite difficult to cover… although the thing I had on my arm was quite large and my artist was able to cover it quite well.

Jlin
Participant
@jlin

Well if you’re not sure what can be done about it I’d suggest you go talk to your artist about it. Seems like he did a great job on the other cover, so why not ask him what your options are? Then you can decide based on a little more info ๐Ÿ˜‰

Magnus_SVT
Participant
@magnus_svt

Man I wouldnt stress it, the only thing that matters is that you like it or at least like having a tattoo there. you are always going to get pricks that have something to say about your tattoo just to make them selves feel cooler about whatever it is they dont like about who they are.

Now if that was my tattoo i would think about adding of covering it some how just because i like more detail in a tattoo. and there is always room to let things grow with you

dannyboy
Participant
@dannyboy

looks fine dude, and if you like it thats all that matters

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

if you like it dont worry what others think. but if your after more ink and like tribal you could have more smaller ones go all the way up your spine making it look like you got tribal bones .
just an idea :rolleyes:

bjornvil
Participant
@bjornvil
Butterfly;68985 wrote:
if you like it dont worry what others think. but if your after more ink and like tribal you could have more smaller ones go all the way up your spine making it look like you got tribal bones .
just an idea :rolleyes:

Yeah… notsomuch into the tribals anymore ๐Ÿ™‚

But all you guys are right, I shouldn’t (and won’t) let the d’bag comments get to me. Worst case I’ll get it covered up sometime when I have some money to burn! ๐Ÿ™‚

TRILOBYTER
Participant
@trilobyter

I got as well a tattoo there,but its a very small writing. And i have seen some chicks having tribal down there,but it doesnt matter,there is no girl or man tattoo. If you like it then keep it,if you would have changed it anyway,then change it. I feel cool for my writing down there,i am not planning to change it.
Its like seeing a woman with a full back dragon then telling her,hey are you a dude? LOL thats stupid.

Zorba
Participant
@zorba

I’m a male, I’m even straight, and I too have a “Tramp Stamp”. Wear it with pride!

PandorasJar
Participant
@pandorasjar

You’ve said in your post that it means something to you and then said you want it covered because of peoples comments.
If your tattoo has meaning and you like it, it shouldn’t make an odds what anyone else thinks.
Mine may not be the best pieces in the world, but they all hold meaning for me and I’m wouldn’t dream of covering them over on the opinion of someone else.
However if you’re being tattooed for the sake of being tattooed then go for it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.