irishman301
Participant
@irishman301

I did a search on this topic….found not exactly what I was looking for. I did see the ‘jobs that discriminate’ sticky, but this is a slightly different discussion.

Here’s my deal. I’ve wanted a full sleeve for years now….but I’ve always had the mindset of ‘nah, I can’t do that, because of my job’….

I am an Engineer at a forging shop, and honestly where I work now, they probably wouldn’t mind too much. Plus, I could always just wear long sleeves if they really did care….but I always had the concern that the it would make me lose respect at work due to the “non-professional image” it gives off.

Now, that’s just my job….that’s not me….My real passion is music. I play guitar in a band, and always have done that on the side. Obviously, there’s no stupid tattoo discrimination there….

Anyway, people worry that they one day might regret getting a tattoo…..Me, I worry that I may one day regret NOT getting a tattoo because I conformed and allowed others to tell me what I can and can’t do.

So ya, I have this career thingy that allows me to make a living, and it makes my parents happy and all that…but seriously, I just do that s*** to make a living. I just so happen to be really smart at mathematics, so I’m able to be an engineer….but I don’t really give two flying s***s about it honestly. I have no passion for my work….I have passion for my OTHER work (the music).

The only problem is that the passion doesn’t make the money, so unfortunately I have the dilemma still that if I want to make the money, I have to somewhat play by their rules…..

Discuss…

-DMD-
Participant
@dmd

This is our society; hurting it, will only hurt YOU.
I myself always wanted to get a visible tattoo, but I still am concerned about my future job.
I’ve just finished collage yesterday(graduated at mechanics) and I’m off to my military duty for three god damn years!
I have to get a job when I’m done, so theres just no way(sadly for me) I can expand my tribal to the neck or get any visible tattoos.
Maybe in a few years this won’t be such a big deal, tho here in Israel tattoos aren’t as mainstream as in… the US for that matter.

I myself never thought about regretting any of my tattoos and I hate not being able to tattoo myself wherever I want!

ontwo
Participant
@ontwo

Yeah, I like the whole having a roof over my head, power, water, and other things. So I will conform and keep them covered.

irishman301
Participant
@irishman301
-DMD-;66724 wrote:
This is our society; hurting it, will only hurt YOU.
I myself always wanted to get a visible tattoo, but I still am concerned about my future job.
I’ve just finished collage yesterday(graduated at mechanics) and I’m off to my military duty for three god damn years!
I have to get a job when I’m done, so theres just no way(sadly for me) I can expand my tribal to the neck or get any visible tattoos.
Maybe in a few years this won’t be such a big deal, tho here in Israel tattoos aren’t as mainstream as in… the US for that matter.

I myself never thought about regretting any of my tattoos and I hate not being able to tattoo myself wherever I want!

Ya, doesn’t it suck? But, anyway they would be on my forearm, so I would just have to resort to wearing long sleeves always….they would be able to be covered up. A neck, or hand tattoo is a different story. It’s just the whole judging thing, which may or may not indirectly affect my job/career.

ontwo;66729 wrote:
Yeah, I like the whole having a roof over my head, power, water, and other things. So I will conform and keep them covered.

Ya, I like those things too. I wouldn’t purposely expose them just to prove something….I’d just have to wear long sleeves all the time. It’s just the fact that if the work people (bosses and workmates) know of them, they may view me differently…..I don’t give a rats ass what they think about me personally, but as far as how it indirectly affects my job, I worry a bit.

bodyart
Participant
@bodyart

First thing I have to say is that you are the only one stopping YOU from having a career in music. If you really want to have a career in music bad enough you will do what it takes to make it! Second of all, I always say no one ever becomes rich by working for someone else. People that are most successful are the ones who live outside the mold of society. Lastly, I want to say No one promised you tomorrow, so you should live for today!! Life is too short to ever look back and say I wish I would’ve! It doesn’t really matter what others think of you. It only matters how you feel about yourself

irishman301
Participant
@irishman301
bodyart;66738 wrote:
First thing I have to say is that you are the only one stopping YOU from having a career in music. If you really want to have a career in music bad enough you will do what it takes to make it! Second of all, I always say no one ever becomes rich by working for someone else. People that are most successful are the ones who live outside the mold of society. Lastly, I want to say No one promised you tomorrow, so you should live for today!! Life is too short to ever look back and say I wish I would’ve! It doesn’t really matter what others think of you. It only matters how you feel about yourself

I like the way you think!!!

I would love to make a career out of music….or at least something that allows me to work for myself. I admit that I haven’t tried hard enough to make that happen. It’s not my goal to become rich, just to not have to follow anyone else’s rules.

Anyway, usually I’m very impulsive with my big desicions…buying a car, buying a house, getting a tattoo, etc…

I figure I’m probably going to end up just getting it (even though I may truly feel it would be a bad idea, career-wise), and just accept whatever consequences may come about…

I know damn sure that I won’t regret the actual tattoo part…just the things I’ll have to deal with throughout life because of having it.

GlennWills
Participant
@glennwills

The only thing I could think of being worse than laying in bed dying after suffering the severe consequences of doing something you truly deep down wanted to do is to lay dying in bed never have done what you truly wanted to do.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
irishman301;66722 wrote:
I did a search on this topic….found not exactly what I was looking for. I did see the ‘jobs that discriminate’ sticky, but this is a slightly different discussion.

Here’s my deal. I’ve wanted a full sleeve for years now….but I’ve always had the mindset of ‘nah, I can’t do that, because of my job’….

I am an Engineer at a forging shop, and honestly where I work now, they probably wouldn’t mind too much. Plus, I could always just wear long sleeves if they really did care….but I always had the concern that the it would make me lose respect at work due to the “non-professional image” it gives off.

Now, that’s just my job….that’s not me….My real passion is music. I play guitar in a band, and always have done that on the side. Obviously, there’s no stupid tattoo discrimination there….

Anyway, people worry that they one day might regret getting a tattoo…..Me, I worry that I may one day regret NOT getting a tattoo because I conformed and allowed others to tell me what I can and can’t do.

So ya, I have this career thingy that allows me to make a living, and it makes my parents happy and all that…but seriously, I just do that s*** to make a living. I just so happen to be really smart at mathematics, so I’m able to be an engineer….but I don’t really give two flying s***s about it honestly. I have no passion for my work….I have passion for my OTHER work (the music).

The only problem is that the passion doesn’t make the money, so unfortunately I have the dilemma still that if I want to make the money, I have to somewhat play by their rules…..

Discuss…

Here’s my .02:

If you want a full sleeve you should get it. Yes, it may limit you in the long run and yes people will judge you on it but if it’s important to you a way will present itself.

I have a wrist tattoo and I’m getting a full sleeve starting next month. My job only requires that I wear a polo type shirt. I wear a long sleeve collared shirt every day. I actually got an official award and a small pay raise because I was always so professionally dressed. My management team uses me as an example when they hire new people. It’s funny because I only do this to cover up my ink at work but they think it’s my dedication to the job.

Be creative and work around the problem. It might mean a little bit of a change for you but who knows, it could end up for the better in the long run!

irishman301
Participant
@irishman301
GlennWills;66752 wrote:
The only thing I could think of being worse than laying in bed dying after suffering the severe consequences of doing something you truly deep down wanted to do is to lay dying in bed never have done what you truly wanted to do.

Those are beautiful words my friend!!! Thankyou for that!

Gsouder;66768 wrote:
Here’s my .02:

If you want a full sleeve you should get it. Yes, it may limit you in the long run and yes people will judge you on it but if it’s important to you a way will present itself.

I have a wrist tattoo and I’m getting a full sleeve starting next month. My job only requires that I wear a polo type shirt. I wear a long sleeve collared shirt every day. I actually got an official award and a small pay raise because I was always so professionally dressed. My management team uses me as an example when they hire new people. It’s funny because I only do this to cover up my ink at work but they think it’s my dedication to the job.

Be creative and work around the problem. It might mean a little bit of a change for you but who knows, it could end up for the better in the long run!

You know what’s funny? I was actually thinking the exact same thing about the blessing in disguise. I always just wear polo shirts to work too, but I decided to start wearing buttonup shirts starting now to get used to it BEFORE I actually have the ink on my forearm. People have been saying “you look extra nice today. What’s the occasion?” I just reply, “I’m trying to start dressing nicer for work”. In reality, I’m just prepping for my long sleeve wearing future that lies ahead of me.

About other people judging me for tattoos, I don’t worry about that at all. I’m only concerned with my work honestly.

Everyone I talk to about this is causing me to lean my desicion towards getting the sleeve more and more….you included. Thank you very much!!!

The Mighty Ming
Participant
@the-mighty-ming

I’m having the same sort of dilema. I want to get my full sleeve done but I’m worried it will prevent me from what I want to do which is join the police force. I already have a visible 3/4 sleeve and I really don’t know where I stand with my chances.

It’s a tough decision for you, but if you have the option of wearing long sleeve tops in work, then by all means, get that sleeve and don’t look back.

Scissors
Participant
@scissors

It’s interesting to see how tattoos seem to treated differently in different countries. I’m from Sweden and the only reactions I have got so far is “wow”, “awesome” and “nice” (and of course; “you shouldn’t add colour to that, it looks good already”). Sure most of them are in their mid 20’s but from work, where I am only one of two under 30, the reactions have been nothing but positive. For example, one guy in his 40’s says he has thought of getting one too for a long time, but he’s not too keen on the pain. He might end up one of those who regret it a little (but he seems so content with life I don’t think he will die axnoius about it). And sure, some might don’t really like tattoos but they’re not against it.

My point is, tattoos aren’t that controversial nowadays. There’s always plenty of room somewhere for you with your full sleeve.

Look at it this way: what will you say if you get laid off or get fired by that moron boss of yours, from the company you have served over the years that still prevented you from getting something you really wanted, that hurt nobody else?

Or compromise a little. Get a 3/4 sleeve. That’s what I’ve done. I want to be able to hide if I feel like it. And I also have pretty long and small arms so a 3/4 looks way better than a full sleeve probably would have.

The Mighty Ming
Participant
@the-mighty-ming

A wee old nun came up to my till today and gasped “what is that on yer arm!?” I said it’s a tattoo, she said what on Earth is it supposed to be? Not in any mood to sit and explain it all to her I just said it’s random designs (which it more or less is anyway). She asked if I had any more and I said yes, my cross on my left arm. I thought she’d at least appreciate that one but as soon as she seen it she claimed I had no sense whatsoever!
I said I’ll never have any sense at all if that’s the case lol she said I was very plesant but a very silly lad.

I hope tattoo ignorance disappears soon!

irishman301
Participant
@irishman301

Ya, I’m pretty stoked to get my first visible tattoo. I have the appointment on Friday!!! I’m interested in the conversations it will start!

Ross_W
Participant
@ross_w

Whatever you do, dont get full sleeves or any tattoos on your forearms/hands/neck/face if you are not absolutely sure about getting them. It really is a big step. That said, i love my full sleeves, and i dont care if some people find tattoos offensive or whatever. Ignorant people will judge you for the most retarded reasons, whether it be your religion (or lack of), your weight, your skin colour, even the clothes you wear. If someone is going to decide you are a bad person just because you have some tattoos, then they arent worth your time.

I think its pretty funny and interesting that some of the nicest people i know and have met are those who are heavily tattooed and otherwise modified. For the most part from my experience, people who are heavily modified are so much more understanding about everything in general and just all around nice people, and maybe if the ignorant fucks who look down on tattoos actually met this people and had a friendly discussion, they would see body modification in a different light.

Anyway, pardon my rant. Id say as long as your job is ok with it, get the sleeves. You will love them, and as others have said, will probably regret NOT getting them if you dont.

markh
Participant
@markh

I recently attended a seminar at a mechanical seal manufacturer. When we toured the facility the rep introduced us to the head engineer who works on design through computer graphics. He had a great looking full sleeve and when I had the chance I complimented him on it. He had on a polo shirt and his boss had nothing but good things to say about his talented employee. I believe if you are good at your job and act professional the tattoos won’t matter.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.