Triliaeris
Participant
@triliaeris

I’ve been researching for a second tattoo finally. Like before I want to to ensure it is on a part of my body that it will last on (not my foot for example), and want it to ensure I’ll love it forever. My first tattoo, I just chose a flower that I’ve liked since I was a kid. It’s amazing and everyday that I see it I love it and am amazed still that I have it.

I think I want something more custom, but am not for sure where to start. Do I just start writing down random ideas that I like or stuff I’d like to see? I’m thinking my shoulder/arm/clavicle area this time. I can hide it when I go to work, and show it off any other time I want. Still though, I’m not for sure how to describe what I want.

So…any suggestions on putting an idea down and ensuring it’s translated by an artist correctly?

🙂

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

This is where the fun starts…. But you are a long ways off from getting your tattoo, though. I would start with a list of ten things that define who you are or inspire you. That list might be philosophies in your life, things you have identified with and maybe some stuff you think is just plain cool. Mull this list over, think about it day and night. Try to find art that either represents directly or symbolically the things you have on that list. Make a file on your computer for these images and whenever you find a style, whether its a tattoo or a painting or a sand castle, whatever, put the photo in that file. This is where you are going to get your reference material when you talk to your artist. Also, start thinking about the area you want to tattoo… the shape of the clavicle area is way different than say a sleeve and you are going to want to use that different shape to your advantage.

You will find that you gravitate to a style. Me personally, I gravitate towards spooky/ultra realistic but somewhat abstract at the same time. Once you have the general idea ready, then it’s time to see your artist.

I would set a goal to talk to AT LEAST 10 different artists. why? because your artist, if he/she is any good, is not going to copy your drawling line for line and put it on your body. they are going to want to spin it to their style and put their vision in there a bit and that take s a lot of trust on your part. This is why you are spending so much time looking for an artist. You’ll know when you found the right artist when they start suggestion shit you never thought of but your thinking “yeah, that would be really fucking cool” while they are talking about it.

This is part of the process and should not be rushed. It’s kind of like a relationship, if you go through the beginning too fast you’ll have problems later on. Stop, smell the roses, make sure your on the right path, question yourself.

You WILL know when the time is right….

Good luck, and keep us posted.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

To add to what Gsouder says, google can be a bother when looking for reference pictures, but it can also be absolute joy. I would, however, recommend that you spend hours (days even) on http://www.deviantart.com/ searching for things that contain your keywords. You’ll find crap and you’ll find spectacular art. In the end you will probably find lots of pictures who have parts and parts of what you want done.

Enjoy the journey. For me that is a huge part of the process. It took me 2 years of planning to get to my first tattoo and that wasn’t even one of the ones I’d been planning for 2 years. I now have a list of some 30-40 tattoos that I want done, and am having problems deciding which can go where, but it’s all fun 😀

Ben1985
Participant
@ben1985

I agree with what the guys said above, take your time and take a good look around.

One thing I will say though is try not to get too hooked up on meaning. I find some get so obsessed with trying to find meaning in everything they have that they seem to forget that it’s OK to just get something because you like it. Sometimes, meaning is just an added bonus.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.