Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
Apostle 228;65043 wrote:
well, thats strange, then it must not be a big deal here in CA… because every shop i have ever been to has never had any of those “liability forms” or anything like that that people talk about, and none of them have ever asked me if i have any diseases.

in my opinion, if the artist cannot guarantee that you wont get a blood borne disease from them working on you, then they should not be in business. no, no shop is completely sterile, its not a surgery center for cryin out loud, its a tattoo shop. but their EQUIPMENT should be sterile with every new tattoo. that, i KNOW is required. so, even if their shop is not “sterile” it is their responsibility to make sure that their equipment is. Which means, once again, it shouldnt matter if someone has the sickness when they get tattooed, as the equipment will be sterilized before they use it on anyone else. that is why god invented the autoclave.

I’m sorry, but the question here isn’t whether a tattoo shop should be able to handle it if someone comes in with a blood borne disease, it’s whether a person with an infectious disease should have the responsibility to tell them that they have it, which they should.

It would be like taking a girl with aids home from a bar to sleep with her and having her say “it’s ok, I won’t tell him because we are going to use a condom”… I know I would not be ok with this. What if something weird happens… broken condom, slips off, etc.

I understand that you were attacked on this thread and maybe you are a little defensive because of this but I hope in the back of your head you can see why this is important. Yes a tattoo shop should be able to handle this but If I worked there I would take extra precautions, like isolating the Hep C guy from the other people in the shop getting tattoos, change gloves more often, consider some sort of mouth and nose covering and making sure my arms were covered. I would also make sure to throughly clean the room on departure.

Not giving someone the right to protect themselves is one step short of intentionally infecting them. I’m working on finding a law that speaks to this in CA, my friend is a lawyer and is helping me. I will update later.

No disrespect, I like you and almost all of your other posts, I just vehemently disagree with you on this one.

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228
Gsouder;65044 wrote:
I’m sorry, but the question here isn’t whether a tattoo shop should be able to handle it if someone comes in with a blood borne disease, it’s whether a person with an infectious disease should have the responsibility to tell them that they have it, which they should.

It would be like taking a girl with aids home from a bar to sleep with her and having her say “it’s ok, I won’t tell him because we are going to use a condom”… I know I would not be ok with this. What if something weird happens… broken condom, slips off, etc.

I understand that you were attacked on this thread and maybe you are a little defensive because of this but I hope in the back of your head you can see why this is important. Yes a tattoo shop should be able to handle this but If I worked there I would take extra precautions, like isolating the Hep C guy from the other people in the shop getting tattoos, change gloves more often, consider some sort of mouth and nose covering and making sure my arms were covered. I would also make sure to throughly clean the room on departure.

Not giving someone the right to protect themselves is one step short of intentionally infecting them. I’m working on finding a law that speaks to this in CA, my friend is a lawyer and is helping me. I will update later.

No disrespect, I like you and almost all of your other posts, I just vehemently disagree with you on this one.

note the part i bolded (if thats even a word) above. when you put it that way, ya it makes sense that you should tell the people at the shop you have it. so i suppose the shop should be told… but i dont see any reason a good shop would deny working on someone with a disease. that would show ME that the shop isnt confident in their ability to work in a way that keep from spreading diseases, and i probably wouldnt want to get tattooed there because of their not being confident. but thats a WHOLE other discussion.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Simple fact:

If I were a tattooist and found out after the fact that I had tattooed an individual who did not tell me they had such a disease, I’d kill them; regardless of whether or not I caught said disease.

Same with someone who would fuck me without telling me they had AIDS.

You intentionally risk my life (and by proxy risk my family’s safety) I end yours.

LoneWolf: I am sure that you will find some (probably more than one) tattooists who will refuse to tattoo you because of it, but as Sherav has shown there are also those who would not let that stand in the way of the job at hand. Keep searching until you find one!

Good luck with the treatments and post up the tat pics when they’re done! 🙂

vaglocker
Participant
@vaglocker

What are all of these “extra precautions” people are talking about? If the shop is doing everything they should be doing as far as sterility then no “extra precautions” should be neccesary. If someone wants to put on a mask to tattoo someone with known Hep C why are they not wearing a mask for all clients as someone may have Hep C/HIV and not know it or disclosed it?

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

I asked about this.

Most tattoo studios will request that the customer disclose any BBP’s that might put the artist or other third parties at risk.

In the UK knowingly transmitting a BBP such as HIV you can be charged with Grievous Bodily Harm. yes there is a lot of argument about the ‘knowingly’ as premeditation is required.

The artists I spoke with stated that the swab down and fresh gloves etc is the minimum. Wearing a mask is actually quite uncomfortable for many ppl as is wearing protective eyewear. They prefer not to have to wear them however they felt it would be required where they know they are dealing with a higher risk client.

You are correct the artist could wear all the protective gear for every client and just deal with the discomfort.

In reality we know this is not the case.

As an example in my job I visit the public and confront them about fraud at their home/workplace and often ask a lot of hard questions.

The risk of me being stabbed or shot is quite significant.

I should wear a vest to every visit. Lets face it though these vests are uncomfortable, bulky, and very hot to wear.

I look at the risk factor and unless they are known or suspected to be violent or in a known hot spot area. I may leave the vest off.

Yes I may get a psycho granny – same way an artist may get an infected client without knowing.

It is a gamble we take it but you cannot blame a person for doing the full precautions if they know upfront.

Take care
Matthew

Brian@Inkbox
Participant
@brianinkbox

I agree with telling the artist, they have the right to know they are at risk. Our shop has hep C listed on our form, and would tattoo someone with it at long as it is disclosed BEFORE the procedure. Extra precautions would be taken, and our equiptment is constantly sanitized and cleaned. If however it was disclosed during the procedure that an artist was at risk, and had not been marked on the waiver, the process would be immediatly terminated, and the possibility of legal action would be up to the artist….i.e. if they want medical tests paid for by the client, and backed with the waiver documentation. I urge you to be fair with your artist, as he has taken precautions to keep you safe, you have an obligation to him/her as well. Personally, if you disclosed it on the form, and i was your artist, i would tattoo you and do all the necissary precautions to insure you, me, and the next client has a safe tattoo experiance. With that in mind, the next one on the chair needs to be just as safe from infection. Thank you for touching on this subject, and i am sure you will find great answers from some very competant people here…….B.

bodyinktube
Participant
@bodyinktube

I’m sure tattoo vendors would take the necessary precautions to ensure your safety and clients after you, but agree with Sharav, it would be considerate to let them know of your situation.

sharyn
Participant
@sharyn

Interesting read and good to know. I’m a bit unsure as to whether they take all the necessary precautions where I am. One trip to the dentist’s is enough to see where hygiene is at here! Though Prague is probably better in this respect.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Im sorry to hear about your condition.

And i don’t see why the artist wouldn’t work on you? 🙂

sharyn
Participant
@sharyn
WardyInk;87431 wrote:
Im sorry to hear about your condition.

And i don’t see why the artist wouldn’t work on you? 🙂

WardyInk, you mean me? I’m healthy… but I’m unsure about what precautions they take here. I wouldn’t want to catch anything.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
sharyn;87436 wrote:
WardyInk, you mean me? I’m healthy… but I’m unsure about what precautions they take here. I wouldn’t want to catch anything.

why would i be on about you….

Im obviously on about the guy who said he had Hep c….

The Fonz
Participant
@the-fonz

So how common is it to get Hep C from a tattoo parlor? lol

sharyn
Participant
@sharyn
WardyInk;87437 wrote:
why would i be on about you….
Im obviously on about the guy who said he had Hep c….

The guy wrote in just over a year ago. I assume he also solved his dilemma last year and is no longer looking for advice. This forum is no longer an active discussion… it’s just here for informative purposes. That’s why 🙂

NickPrender
Participant
@nickprender

are you serious??? its assholes like you that causes spread of bbp’s. if someone lied on their form to me id lose my mind. it happens but straight up garbage advice. use your head

sbtome5998
Participant
@sbtome5998
1LoneWolf;64946 wrote:
Hello,
I have been diagnosed with Hep C recently.
I‘m only into week 2 of 24 for treatments.
When I’m done with my treatments I’m hoping to get a new Tat.
Will Tattoo artist be willing to work on me?

Thanx

You NEED to tell them. You are putting other peoples lives in possible jeopardy and you know you would want someone to tell you that information..I hope. It is a legal obligation and respect to others. Most shops will not tattoo you because a small slip could cost them their health in an already dangerous environment.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.