Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

I know the meaning of a sleeve tattoo. But in my opinion it seems theres many people that say or claim they have a sleeve tattoo, when really its just a bigger tattoo on there upper arm.

My artist and I were talking about this during my last session. Maybe I shouldn’t let it bug me to much but when someone says they have a sleeve tattoo and it goes from there shoulder to right above the elbow and zero ink on the inner arm I don’t consider it a sleeve tattoo, and almost not even a half sleeve.

The whole idea of a full sleeve tattoo is basically like wearing a long sleeve t shirt, it covers every part of your arm! A t shirt can resemble a half sleeve, but I don’t see to many t shirts with only material on the outer arm! 😀

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228

ive actually never heard anyone say they had sleeves when they didnt… haha

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

Because it’s an easy short hand, similar to how “beer” covers largers, ales, and what have you?

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

‘Cos sleeves are cool?

I know what you mean though dude, I’ve met guys with separate, patchy tattoos on their fore arm and bicep and in their world it qualifies as a sleeve.

Gym
Participant
@gym

It’s more of a “poncho” tattoo really. Come to think of it why don’t we use the terms glove and stocking for covered hands and legs?

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
Joker1;63719 wrote:
‘Cos sleeves are cool?

I know what you mean though dude, I’ve met guys with separate, patchy tattoos on their fore arm and bicep and in their world it qualifies as a sleeve.

Exactly, its hard for me to call it a sleeve when theres more of there actual skin tone showing than ink.

vaglocker
Participant
@vaglocker

Although it shouldn’t really bother me, it is a pet peeve of mine as well. Currently I’m in the process of getting a “sleeve” done but since I”m stopping a few inches from my wrist can I still call it a sleeve? 😀

Apriltg
Participant
@apriltg
vaglocker;63737 wrote:
Although it shouldn’t really bother me, it is a pet peeve of mine as well. Currently I’m in the process of getting a “sleeve” done but since I”m stopping a few inches from my wrist can I still call it a sleeve? 😀

Sure it counts as a sleeve, just think of it as buying a shirt that doesn’t quite fit:p A sleeve is a very serious tattoo and even with stopping an inch or two from your wrist it is still a very serious tattoo.

But yeah, getting one that doesn’t wrap all the way around, those guys don’t have sleeves. They may have a lot of nice ink, but they don’t have sleeves. I suppose they just like how impressive the term sounds:rolleyes:

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
vaglocker;63737 wrote:

My artist normally doesn’t go right to the wrist and either does my brothers artist. Just a little bit before it, that way a long sleeve shirt can cover it if needed.

If yours is a few inches before it you may have a 3/4?

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
Bdubbs;63736 wrote:
Exactly, its hard for me to call it a sleeve when theres more of there actual skin tone showing than ink.

Do you not call the fabric that partially covers your upper arms when you wear a t-shirt a sleeve?

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

it depends on how far you want to interpret something…. a lot of people say they have a half sleeve, when in reallity its only a 1/4 sleeve as it only covers the front half of the upper arm, if it went all the way round then its a half sleeve 😉

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

Personally I gauge a 3/4 sleeve at the mid forearm (starting from the shoulder).

As for the term sleeve you are correct it should really go all the way around to be classed as that – but for me I just look at whether it is great ink or not.

My backpiece is technically not a ‘full’ one either (even though I am guilty of using the term) as I have bits of skin peeking through – but I am not losing sleep on it.

The easiest way is you know when you are correct and just enjoy the knowledge because to bring it up will likely only cause offence.

Take Care
Matthew

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
KnightHawk;63750 wrote:
Do you not call the fabric that partially covers your upper arms when you wear a t-shirt a sleeve?

Love. Peace. Metallica.

I call it a t-shirt or a short sleeve t-shirt

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
Sherav;63779 wrote:
Hi

Personally I gauge a 3/4 sleeve at the mid forearm (starting from the shoulder).

As for the term sleeve you are correct it should really go all the way around to be classed as that – but for me I just look at whether it is great ink or not.

My backpiece is technically not a ‘full’ one either (even though I am guilty of using the term) as I have bits of skin peeking through – but I am not losing sleep on it.

The easiest way is you know when you are correct and just enjoy the knowledge because to bring it up will likely only cause offence.

Take Care
Matthew

Well said 😀

NeckTattoosRock
Participant
@necktattoosrock

So you mean that the entire arm has to be covered in tats to be considered ‘sleeved’? Yeah that makes sense.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.