NeverBSatisfied
Participant
@neverbsatisfied

I’m going to get my half sleeve in a couple weeks and want to try a lotion of some sort that someone here has mentioned before.

It includes care for the overall color and was recommended by a woman here with a beautiful and colorful peacock tattoo on her forearm, which was very colorful and vibrant. She said she used some kind of lotion or creme on her tattoo and it helped her not only keep her vibrant color, but also helped her as far as scabbing and said she never did so because of the use of this creme/lotion and she highly recommended it.

Does anyone have an idea of what it was? Or does anyone have a lotion that they use that helps the tattoo contain it’s color and also prevent the tat from scabbing? Thanks!

-NBS

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228

its not that you want to prevent it from scabbing, because it will scab no matter what you use. its about fast, healthy healing. thats why you use lotion. honestly, any lotion that is scent free and petroleum/lanolin free will do. I cant stress the fact that it absolutely MUST BE FREE OF SCENT LANOLIN AND PETROLEUM. these three things tend to draw the pigment out of the skin, and scents will sting as well when put on fresh work.

Now that you know that bit, i use cetaphil or lubriderm lotions (scent free and petroleum free of course). both work fantastic.

NeverBSatisfied
Participant
@neverbsatisfied
Apostle 228;63505 wrote:
its not that you want to prevent it from scabbing, because it will scab no matter what you use. its about fast, healthy healing. thats why you use lotion. honestly, any lotion that is scent free and petroleum/lanolin free will do. I cant stress the fact that it absolutely MUST BE FREE OF SCENT LANOLIN AND PETROLEUM. these three things tend to draw the pigment out of the skin, and scents will sting as well when put on fresh work.

Now that you know that bit, i use cetaphil or lubriderm lotions (scent free and petroleum free of course). both work fantastic.

Beautiful, thanks for the reply. I’ll check into it. Could you get this in any drugstore or do you have to order these online? 😎

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228

you can just go down to a local drug/grocery store to get it. its common. at least in california it is… haha

ryannnnn
Participant
@ryannnnn

yup! very common in cali…

my first tat I got, I didnt know when i was supposed to lotion it, didnt until the second day, the artist freaked out! but it healed fine…

Use a scent free lotion, I’ve used curel lubriderm..

How do you know if it’s petroleum free?

Slappy13
Participant
@slappy13

I think everyone has their own lotion that they find works best for their skin just through trial and error. Personally I use Palmer’s concentrated cocoa butter while healing and once I start cleaning it while showering I use Aveeno skin relief body wash with oatmeal whule in the shower. That stuff is awesome and from what I’ve found way better than regular body washes or bar soaps.

LuckyBambooTattoo
@

we use black cat tattoo aftercare its made specifically for tattoos by tattoo artists its great! heals them fast and comes with a wash salve and lotion, not trying to sound like a salesmen but its the best way to heal tattoos that ive tried, and ive tried ALOT

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228
ryannnnn;63544 wrote:
How do you know if it’s petroleum free?

if in the ingredients it doesnt say “petroleum” haha. some will say on the front in big letters “petroleum and lanolin free”, but not all do. just look at the ingredients if it doesnt.

NeverBSatisfied
Participant
@neverbsatisfied

Good info lads and gents. Going down today to check everything out.

CourtneyLS99
Participant
@courtneyls99

I use and love aquaphor.
My first tattoo only hurt for a few hours after I got it, and that was it…it also never scabbed, barely peeled, and didn’t itch at all and the colors are amazing. I just got a very large piece on my ribs today and it hurt like a bad sunburn for about 2 hours after I got it and that’s it. I think I just have awesome super hero skin!! Haha

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

The three lotions that spring to mind specifically designed for tattoo aftercare are Black Cat tattoo aftercare, H2Ocean and Tattoo Goo.

Everyone has their own preferences though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.