ryannnnn
Participant
@ryannnnn

Alright, my first tattoo was done at an expo, next three at the same shop by the same dude.

I want work from a lot of different artists.

I know a few people who do tattoos out of their homes, I’ve seen their portfolios, and they do some good stuff.

My initial thoughts on the topics were if they were that serious about it, they would work at a shop, but one goes to school full time, so i understand why he can’t.

The only concern i would have is safety since its not a sanitary enviornment.

Any others I should have? (besides the tattoo turning out horrible, I wouldn’t let some idiot ink my skin)

DANDIESEL
Participant
@dandiesel

IMO if you go to a competent scratcher with a clean station, new needles, and proper equpiment, why not?
ive been scratched, i scratch. some of the best artists in the world were scratchers

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
DANDIESEL;62799 wrote:
IMO if you go to a competent scratcher with a clean station, new needles, and proper equpiment, why not?
ive been scratched, i scratch. some of the best artists in the world were scratchers

You do realize “scratcher” is a pejorative term used to describe worthless mother fuckers like you who want all the glory of being a tattoo artist, but want to do none of the work, right? Getting on at a shop for an apprenticeship is hard because tattooing is a serious business. Done wrong, it can scar you, maim you, or even god damn kill you.

So, seriously, fuck you with a chainsaw, you ignorant, white trash piece of shit. You don’t deserve to be a tattoo artist.

Now, on to you Ryannnn. First off, ignore everything Dan said. He’s a borderline illiterate fucktard.

Tattoos done in a home is a tricky subject my man. Kitchen magicians and scratchers work out of their homes, and you know as well as I what kind of safety measures they take, either out of carelessness, or lack of knowledge. On the other hand, I know some truly gifted artists who work in and own shops who occasionally work out of their home for their friends and family…though, more often if they’re doing free work for relatives, they just come into the shop on their off day.

Your best bet is to treat the home artist exactly like you would a shop. Make sure all the surfaces look scrubbed down, that your artist is wearing gloves and using sanitary tools, and having CLEAN plastic wrap over most surfaces is a definite plus. If the place looks the least little bit sketchy, do what you would do at a shop:

Get the fuck out of there.

Though, if you were to ask me, I’d say don’t do it unless you’re very close with the person and know for a fact that they’re professional and health conscious.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

The only way I would get a tattoo in home is when;

I know the area has been sterilised and is hard surfaces only and damn I would wipe them down myself on top of any previous cleaning.

All soft furnishings are removed or are covered in plastic wrap.

The kit is all disposable which I have seen being broken out of the packaging in front of me. This includes; Tubes Grips, Needles, Pots, Inks, Wipes, Gloves.

I do this for 2 reasons:

The first is I had to sit and watch my mother die of aids which she got from a dirty needle as she was a drug user. It is slow, nasty, and very painful to watch somebody die of that shit.

On top of that she contracted hepatitis and trust me that alone is awful to watch somebody waste away because their liver is fucked.

I also watched a mate die of Hep he got a tattoo when he was 14 in the back of a pet store and died in his early 30’s – he lived a clean life apart from that one tattoo. It was not nice.

The second reason is that I expect my tattoo artist to follow the above instructions as BBP’s can occur with a mist of blood that is invisible to the naked eye.

You would not go poking through blood soaked bandages you found on the floor nor would you risk sharing needles. The same applies to tattooing.

Unfortunately many aspiring tattooists think needles and pots etc are expensive and so a quick wipe or boil will be sufficient.

Well heads up it aint enough.

Take Care
Matthew

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

i have been reading the replies to this topic with great interest, just because some artists work from home dont mean they are more risky than going to a shop… i have a home studio, which i will be quite honnest and tell you that the environmental health officer was more than happy with when i requested my visit. He said the place was cleaner than some shops he had been in, and was more than happy to let me know he will coming here for some ink towards his collection.

it all depends on what you class at working at home…
working within a studio built for the purpose, clean surfaces, bleached out before and after each client, an autoclave on view or all disposible tips, grips needles etc…. thats going to be fine
(if you see an autoclave in a home studio, then ask to see the recent spore test certificate)

if its a home studio/bedroom/dining room/kitchen then keep clear… simple as that.

what people dont realise is that as thay needle penetrates the skin, an invisible microscopic spray of blood can disperse over an area of 2 metres….. now this is where all that nasty shit is happening.

quite simply put….
studio = ok
home use rooms = no no

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk
Outlaw;62810 wrote:
what people dont realise is that as thay needle penetrates the skin, an invisible microscopic spray of blood can disperse over an area of 2 metres….. now this is where all that nasty shit is happening.

quite simply put….
studio = ok
home use rooms = no no

Now that I did not know. Thanks Outlaw!

Love. Peace. Metallica.

ryannnnn
Participant
@ryannnnn

very interesting. I would say it’s too much work for me to set it up at their house or mine, and then have to look for all this shit. If i trust the shop, i see that the shop is highly sanitary, i’ll just get it there. . . Thanks guys!

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw
ryannnnn;62821 wrote:
very interesting. I would say it’s too much work for me to set it up at their house or mine, and then have to look for all this shit. If i trust the shop, i see that the shop is highly sanitary, i’ll just get it there. . . Thanks guys!

its not a case of being able to just set it up, the room needs to be dedicated and set up as a studio and no other use, with all the hygeine of a shop studio as well….. your best choice is to stick with a registered shop 😉

ryannnnn
Participant
@ryannnnn

gracias =)

Smutly
Participant
@smutly

@KnightHawk 62804 wrote:

You do realize “scratcher” is a pejorative term used to describe worthless mother fuckers like you who want all the glory of being a tattoo artist, but want to do none of the work, right? Getting on at a shop for an apprenticeship is hard because tattooing is a serious business. Done wrong, it can scar you, maim you, or even god damn kill you.

So, seriously, fuck you with a chainsaw, you ignorant, white trash piece of shit. You don’t deserve to be a tattoo artist.

LMAO – TOO RIGHT!
Smutly

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs
Smutly;62841 wrote:
@KnightHawk 62804 wrote:

LMAO – TOO RIGHT!
Smutly

I totally agree!

Mississippimetal
Participant
@mississippimetal

Both of my tattoos I have so far are at-home jobs, at my home, actually. The artist is my brother-in-law, who has professional equipment and has tattood quite a few people. He doesn’t have access to a clave, so all of his needles are disposed of after use, as are his tips and gloves (obviously). Currently he only tattoos family members and close friends. Before he did my arm, it was washed, and then shaved, then washed again with green soap before the tattooing began. I’d have to say the only potentially non-sanitary part of the process was the surface I was laying my arm on was covered with paper towels, and the other session was a cloth placemat on a TV tray he used specifically to tattoo my arm. Each session (3 total) was concluded with thorough washing with green soap and a coating of ointment.

Maybe not every precaution was taken, but I’m sure I’ll be fine. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.