Kremtch
Participant
@kremtch

Hello all!

I’m new to the forum and I just have to say, what a great place! So much wonderful information! I’m looking for the last touch of inspiration before I go in for my first tattoo. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I’ve decided on a compass rose over my heart on the chest. It has a great deal of meaning for me such as the direction, the true north, independence, TRAVEL, moral compass, ect. I could go on and on. I think it’s the perfect tat for who I am.

My question:

Detail. I’m looking for a “rugged” look, but not a “faded tat that was down in 1936”. Catch my drift? 😉 How much detail can I get away with without losing the simplicity in your opinion(s)?

And this is the creative input part!
I’d like a short simple statement/quote/word that would encompass the generalities of the compass rose and it’s many interpretations. Also, I love the Latin language, so anyone with a source on a good latin translator/checker would be very helpful! Here’s what I have so far:

*NOTE: For anyone interested in using these words: Latin translations are NOT 100% correct! So get it double/triple checked! I would hate to be the cause for any tattoo disasters! 🙁 *

Neutiquam erro. – I am not lost.
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam – I’ll either find a way or make one
Non ducor duco – I am not led; I lead
Semper ad meliora – Always towards better things
Veritas lux mea – truth is my light (direction?)
” virtus introduco ut Olympus ; vereor introduco ut nex ” – “Courage leads to heaven; fear leads to death.” (Probably too long) (And I’m SURE the translation is not right)
ad meliora – Towards better things
Words:
Freedom
always independent
steadfast
steady
ect…

So that’s the particular direction I’m wanting to lean to. Sorry for the length! (I’m quite excited! 😀 ) Any ideas/inspirations/creativeness is welcome. The picture is the general idea/design of the compass rose.
Thank you!
~Ian

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/pUUKT1ZhIfBu0EljJf8AhA?feat=directlink

Tallulah Belle
Participant
@tallulah-belle

I was looking at compass roses a few months ago but couldnt find any decent designs that caught my eye. You have some good ideas there! Regarding the Latin phrase, you could draw it upon a life experience if your that way out? Maybe a break up or breavement that affected you? Ad Meliora in a script form would look good underneath although you could correspond the 4 points of the compass with 4 phrases?? More questions than answers!

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d

Very good idea for a tatt, also very nice Latin phrasing.
The Rose is an old School/American traditional style motif. I assume that is what you mean by rugged. You can get as much detail as you like if you get the design big enough! The style itself features bold black line work, so keep it simple. Search out an artist that specializez in American traditional work and just tell them what you want. The design should be no great challenge. You could always just do an Internet search and find a Rose in a style you like.

Kremtch
Participant
@kremtch

I appreciate the feedback! I’m going in tomorrow night. This should be interesting!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.