charlottecarlin
Participant
@charlottecarlin

Hiya everyone,

i really need your help, if you have got 5 – 10 minutes spare and have 1 or more tattoos, pleeeease could you fill in my questionnaire for my dissertation. its about people with tattoos perceptions.

i would really appreciate it if you could

thanks
charlotte 🙂

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XK5KFX5

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

who the hell created them questions…. if it was yourself then can i ask why there are so many questions that relate to tattood people not being satisfied with themself and it also inclines towards tattoo’d people are not accademic or inteligent people, im not sure if the line of questions is to provoke a reply but it sure is doing from me.
yes i did answer all the questions, yes i have more than 5 tattoo’s, yes i am happy with myself….

ONE QUESTION FOR YOU…….. DO YOU HAVE ANY TATTOO’S YOURSELF ???????

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

who the hell created them questions…. if it was yourself then can i ask why there are so many questions that relate to tattood people not being satisfied with themself and it also inclines towards tattoo’d people are not accademic or inteligent people, im not sure if the line of questions is to provoke a reply but it sure is doing from me.
yes i did answer all the questions, yes i have more than 5 tattoo’s, yes i am happy with myself….

ONE QUESTION FOR YOU…….. DO YOU HAVE ANY TATTOO’S YOURSELF ???????

i want Knight Hawk to take the test and give a reply 😀

vizzielover
Participant
@vizzielover
Outlaw;62060 wrote:

i want Knight Hawk to take the test and give a reply 😀

Oh me too………………..can’t wait!

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

There were about 20 questions pertaining to the basic idea: “Do you hate yourself?”

What is it that you are trying to learn: if tattooed people have confidence issues?

I finished your little survey, but it seems to be discriminating against “us” (seeing as all tattooed people are in an implied clique).

Edit:
I think this survey could be a lot better if you added at least a few questions where we could type our own responses.

Stu
Participant
@stu

Hmmm completed – not overly keen with the questions though as rather negative wording. 😡

Hope the course goes well and next year aim towards doing a neutral questionaire – if you asked me that one in the street I’d have walked off after a couple of questions.

To sum it up

I’m educated, not suicidal, happy with myself, life and attitude. I don’t pick my friends, associates or employees because they’ve got ink. I’ve never knowingly scared, offended or upset anyone because of my inkwork. 😀

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

I am actually going to endorse this survey and hope that everybody fills it in. (I am being serious).

My reasons are that there is a prevailing attitude within the circles of psychology and psycho-therapy that tattooing is related to masking a sense of low self-esteem or a feeling of ugliness that can be only removed by hiding that which offends us on a sub-conscious level.

Also one that many people get identified as part of a ‘herd’ instinct to fit into a social group that is identifiable by the fact that they share similar tattoos, or have a low intelligence and so will just follow whatever social trend or ‘rebellion’ is occurring.

Seriously please fill it (and be honest). In order to move perceptions we have to engage with those who ask the questions.

I do not take offence at these questions but see it as a chance to re-educate a person who maybe willing to listen.

Consider this what the study is really asking is does having tattoos:

1. Automatically make you ill educated. The question is about personal choice or peer pressure and cognitively being able to make that decision.

2. Automatically suggest mental illness, depression or low self esteem. Yes there are links that many sociopaths/psychopaths do opt for heavy body suit tattoos but lets face it they are very rare and there are thousands of people with a lot of ink.

3. Creates a separate identity and social niche that differs from the non-tattooed.

So please help this student out. Remember that the most dangerous thing in this world is an unchallenged idea or opinion.

Take Care
Matthew

vallyrj
Participant
@vallyrj

That was a crapy survey. I am a college graduate and had to create a few of these in college. This one is not the best that I have ever seen. It feels very one sided and does not have near enough variance in questions. I am curious to see what she eventually comes up with.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

The qualitative methods of survey monkey are certainly not the best.

I have suggested a wider based questionnaire which allows for motivational input but again even with this there are trends that need to be examined and challenged.

Take Care
Matthew

Apriltg
Participant
@apriltg

I guess I’m going to be different and say this survey didn’t offend me. Perhaps that’s because I recently took a class on personality theory and took a Personality Assessment Inventory. Thus a lot of those questions related to self image and self esteem were very familiar. Actually I’m willing to bet she modeled a lot of those questions after questions on the PAI. The education question was a standard demographic question. I’m surprised she didn’t ask about income level and household size as well, I would have. And there is a reason she seemed to ask the questions about self esteem and body image several times.People tend to be dishonest with themselves and surveys about sensitive things like that. Standard technique is to ask those types of questions multiple ways to look for variations and honesty in the response of the subject.

Over all yes, I think she has a theory about people with tattoos that concerns self image and self esteem as well as socializing and the need to fit in. So she came and asked us some questions to see if her theory was right or wrong. The only way she can really find out is to ask. Granted, her survey is narrowly based and some questions that allowed for personal responses would have given her more info. And in the end she is going the long way to finding the answer that anyone of us here on the forums could have given her. People with tattoos come from all walks of life and have a multitude of reasons for getting their tattoos. Actually she could probably learn a great deal by hanging out on the forums and observing for awhile.

Oh, and of coarse the questions were meant to get under your skin and elicit an emotional response if possible. It is after all a psychology survey.

MissP83
Participant
@missp83

ok so i’ve taken the survey. i see where alot of people would be upset about it. and a part of me is as well. but i also understand that these things need to be asked to change the over all view of “us” as tattoed people. i do believe that some of those questions could have been worded a bit differently though. less toe-stepping perhaps

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

The survey is flawed, and not because it was insulting.

It’s flawed because the questions are obviously skewed in order to provide the data needed to prove a predetermined result. Rather than creating a survey to collect data in order to come to a conclusion, the survey is attempting to prove a conclusion by collecting data. It’s a crucial difference. One is the pursuit of knowledge, the other is about reenforcing your own preconceptions.

To me, the worst aspect of it is how poorly it’s done. There’s no attempt to hide or disguise what her ultimate purpose is, and in fact, is worded so poorly that it seems as if no effort was put into its formulation at all.

Overall, what I find insulting about this survey isn’t the blatant disdain for tattooed individuals, or the kow towing to the general perception tattooing is about hiding ugliness.

It’s how little effort she put into insulting us.

I apologize for not being funny Outlaw, but frankly, after taking that survey, I am not in a joking mood. I kept a 3.6 GPA in college, engage in debates on matters political, religious, and philosophical, and think that while I have flaws, I’m an overall exceptional person. While I do know thugs, rednecks, and criminals with tattoos, they make up no larger a percentage of our group than any other, yet because we choose to appreciate this form of art, this young lady can’t even be bothered to put thought into questioning us.

Did she ask about aesthetics? About how they inform our actions, and our sense of self? Did she ask about the spiritual, deeper aspects? Did she ask about the art? Could she be bothered to ask legitimately about our sense of community? About our in group/out group feelings and tendencies?

Could she be bothered to know us?

No. She had an opinion, she set out to prove it regardless of the evidence, and she doesn’t even care because we’re just a school assignment to her, not worthy of her legitimate effort.

And there just ain’t nothing funny about that.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

She’s right you know, all people with tattoos have low self esteem and are failures at life, they should all be shot :rolleyes:

Blue1
Participant
@blue1

That fuckin thing was retarded. 😡

You’re absolutely correct Joker….. I’m goin to go slit my wrists now….:rolleyes: 😉

dine
Participant
@dine

That is a very negative survey that will in no way reflect the feelings of the participants. Someone who answers ‘strongly agree’ to the negative self worth/image questions will have evolved those emotions very far away from their ink! And, even those who do strongly agree will most likely lie and express total satisfaction with themselves! I am surprised at a third year student having an obvious narrow mind as is transparent in the questions.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.