jamdemos
Participant
@jamdemos

So here’s the deal I just moved and I had to pick a new parlor and artist. My question is I want to get a few things touched up on my new tattoo. But I was wondering how long to wait after I got it done to get it touched up. My guess would be about 4-6 weeks for it to be completely healed, but the aftercare instructions I got from this artist were a bit fast, he says remove bandage after 1hr, No hot tubs, baths, swimming, ect. for 2 Weeks, and not sunscreen for 2 Weeks, that just seems really quick for healing, my previous artist said 4hr for bandage and 4 weeks for the others.

When do you think the soonest I could go back to get a touch up done would be?

Thanks,

-James

Tajen
Participant
@tajen

In the past, going in for a touchup, I watied until the tattoo was fully healed; not sensitive to the touch, no flaking or scabbing or redness, etc. I want to say about 6 weeks? It’s been about 3 years since I had to get one touched up, so I may be a little off on the time, but it was FULLY healed. I wasn’t doing anything more than just rubbing on a little lotion once or twice a day by the time I went to get it touched up.

PinkCatSkull
Participant
@pinkcatskull

Hey james, in my experience artists differ alot in their aftercare advice. some people will tell you to use certain creams others will tell you to dry heal, some will say don’t soak the tattoo others will say have a HOT bath or shower to seal the tattoo. I usually advise my clients to leave the cover on for at least 1-2 hours or until they can get home and give it a good clean. depending on the work they have had done depends on how long they can come get it touched up, if needs be. very thin line work or dot effect will heal quicker so can usually be touched up in 2 weeks whereas solid black or colour would be around 4. however it depends on the individual as always, people have different lifestyles and levels of health so will heal at a varied rate. the guidelines that your artist will provide you is a generalised idea. in the end you know your own body more than anyone else and you should be aware if your tattoo feels fully healed or not. i usually won’t touch up a piece if its still got a shine on where the skin is still new and definitely not if there is any scabbing still on the piece. i’d say be patient and you will know when the time is right 🙂

jamdemos
Participant
@jamdemos

Thanks “Pink” that was really helpful, its been almost 2 weeks sense it was done and as far as I can tell its been fully healed for about 4 days now on the surface I know it may not be healed way deep (I must heal fast haha) my tattoo was pretty simple with just lines and some shading, its not sensitive to the touch anymore and its all flat and looks like its been there for a while no shinny skin, scabs, or raised skin.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

The tattoo surface heals in around 2 weeks but the underneath is still healing as scar tissue is forming.
The min you should wait is 4 weeks for a touch up but 6 weeks is ideal if you can wait that long.

It is possible to touch up in less time but you run a risk of butchering your skin up.

Take Care
Matthew

jamdemos
Participant
@jamdemos

I dont know if I can wait 6weeks, this is bugging me, but if I have to aghhh fine… hahah

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

I know what you mean theres some areas on mine that need touched up, but I have a few sittings yet. The touch-ups will come during the last session I think.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.