TattoodMommy
Participant
@tattoodmommy

So since all of you on here have tats or know a thing or two about tattoos and I am interested in hearing all about aftercare of tattoos (I am a research freak.. LOL!)

What were you told or do you tell others about tattoo aftercare? Cardinal rules of tat care? Thanks!

bighairedmike
Participant
@bighairedmike

I got told by my tattooist to take of the clingfilm type thing as soon as i got home and wash the tat with soapy water. After i had done that, pat it dry with a clean towel and apply bepanthen. Wash and cover with bep every 4-6 hours if possible. He told me that if he found out I had put vaseline on it he’d string me up. ๐Ÿ˜€

My tat came out beautifully and I didn’t get any scabbing at all.

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

I was told to take off my bandage about an hour or two after I got home. It was stressed to do it at home though, or some place familiar (and CLEAN), not a restaurant or the mall or the bar. Wash the area with a mild, non scented antibacterial soap and then apply a thin layer of moisturizer, non scented. I was warned not to over moisturize the area.
Quick showers initially, not baths, no pool, no hot tubs.
Don’t mess with it, and don’t pick or scratch at it once it becomes itchy.

That was for my outline. I think when I got back next week to get some shading I might use aquaphor for the first few days, as it has been suggested by several people. I’m going to run it by my artist first.

You might also want to check out this section of the forum, which is dedicated to after care discussion. ๐Ÿ˜‰
http://www.thetattooforum.com/tattoo-aftercare-f43.html

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

as a research freak i was surprised you didnt use the search button :p

i give all my clients a 40g tube of savlon and an aftercare sheet to take away with them,
here is a link to my aftercare sheet i give to them, and if they lose it then they can download it so they have no excuses lol…
http://www.outlawtattoo.co.uk/aftercare.htm

ontwo
Participant
@ontwo

Holy shit. You will get a different answer from every member on here.

BTW Welcome

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

I think it all depends on the artist, everyone seems to do it somewhat different. My artist told my to leave it wrapped over night, then clean it with anti-bacterial soap twice a day. I use a aquaphor for the first two days, then switch to curel frangrance free lotion.

The only thing that seems to be the same for everyone is the fact that you do NOT pick the scabs and when it itches give a quick slap.

TattoodMommy
Participant
@tattoodmommy
Outlaw;61020 wrote:
as a research freak i was surprised you didnt use the search button :p

๐Ÿ˜€ Blonde moment! I did all sorts of research online and got SO many different answers (which I got here too!) I was hoping to condense the “best” into one thread… although if I used search I might have found one or three of those :p

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

the best answer you can get is quite simple ……. use which ever aftercare treatment your artist advises ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.