NeverBSatisfied
Participant
@neverbsatisfied

Hey guys, I’ve been searching awhile now for tattoo forums and this place seems to be kickin and the advice and look see is great so I’m glad I stumbled upon this community!

Several months ago, I got a tattoo coverup of my tribal going across my arm of Superman. (HUGE SUPERMAN FAN.) I went to my tat artist, whose done ALL my tattoo’s ( I have 4) and I trusted the judgment in successfully covering up my tribal with the Superman we decided to use.

It came out TERRIBLE (the face is atrociousness, the colors are bland, and the coverup around Superman looks like a kindergartner melted crayons on my arm, just horrendous.. he also missed spots and has tribal un covered) and it forces me to not only go to someone else (who is wonderful and high regarded) but spend the bank on a coverup of a coverup and then spend even more cash. He charged me 300 for it. My appointment is due Thursday and my new artist says it could and will be fixed, just to lower my expectations about it. I’ve been disgusted with this for AWHILE now and want your honest input, so here goes.

tatttyfinished.jpg
FRESH

tat42.jpg
HEALED

After I get your guys honest opinions about it, something I’m dearly in need of, I’ll pitch you my idea of what myself and my new tat artist have in mind to fix it, which could result in a half sleeve. Thanks guys!

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

welcome to the forum.

I’m not actually sure what i could suggest that could actually help you 🙁
as you said your tattoo is bad and looking at it i think it could actually be hard to fix its face . when i 1st saw it i thought it was some sort of zombie super man.

i personally wouldn’t rush into fixing it !! i would seriously think about covering it up or is they any characters in super man that looks evil looking like that to have it made into and then have a super man some where else on your arm.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

I actually kinda like this Evil Alien Superman version… kind of a mix between the little grey men and human. Could be an interesting concept on it’s own 🙂

I was gonna say the same as Tana… perhaps you could make him into some twisted weird baddie? Some thing that tried to Superman’s identity and failed. Add life to the face and make it even more prominently alien (even green eyes or something), change the colors of the suit to very dark colors or even black (a la Black Spiderman) with the Superman logo in steel or whatever could be done to the red color.
Then you’d add a GOOD version of superman somewhere on the same arm, flying to destroy this impostor.
Maybe even shooting a beam from his eyes.
Might even create some sort of red glow around the baddie signifying him being lasered, and contort the face in pain, moving the chin down a bit (the lines are thin so it shouldn’t be too hard) and opening the mouth to reveal snarling and sharp teeth and a forked tongue, or a fire/laserburn down in his throat or something.

You’d have designed your very own Superman Superbaddie worthy of Marvel, and could make it look like it was always intended as such and create a masterpiece out of a disaster.

This could even, in a way, signify your own attack against your horrible baddie evil alien clone of a tattoo and all the poorly skilled tattoo artists of the world.

Just don’t jump into a coverup until you’re 100000000% sure it’s what you’ll like forever. A third coverup probably won’t work. In a way I disagree with your new tattooist that you should have to lower your standards. If he’s good, he could pull off something like the above idea and create a spectacular piece your standards could be proud of

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

First of all it is not great but it could be a lot worse.

As suggested you could do with relining the body and a reshade will fill out the body much better and get the shading in on muscle definition.

The face is harder but again with shadowing and a full rework can be salvagble.

That said if you have portions of the body suit coloured black with tendrils puncturing the body and some green in the eye sockets you could have a scene where he is getting the life sucked out of him and below it another where he can be seen tearing a black tendril in half.

The hands could do with some work as well.

Alternatively a few hits with laser and a sleeve cover up with something really big would cover it up.

Good luck and post up what you decide/get done.

Take Care
Matthew

NeverBSatisfied
Participant
@neverbsatisfied

Wow, those are all REALLY good suggestions, something I’d never thought of. I’m LOVING the idea of good vs evil, and creating the Superman we all know of and blasting away this impostor. I will CERTAINLY bring this up at our next meeting. Kudos for that lads and gents!

In one direction, what we DO have in mind is to first and foremost, clean up Superman. When I showed her my tattoo her jaw dropped and couldn’t believe a tattoo artist would ever jeapordize a coverup to be done with another coverup like form. She said it made no sense as to where he is positioned and there is no angle to what indication or what angle he’s coming from.

So our idea was to create a night sky behind him, and dictate a focal point and maybe create a 3d effect of him coming out from the night sky, which would be dark colors, dark purple and blacks to compliment his blue, reds and yellows of his suite, which will be fixed to top degree.

Once we find a focal point and maybe having kind of a beam behind him or force of wind of him flying from a position, the night sky will include nebula’s and stars and beams so to speak and create life. The kicker to all this, and this was my idea, was to have Superman symbols, hidden in the shadows of the night sky and scattered around of all shapes and sizes. It’s a start and she said I could be in the chair for as up to 5 hours our first session, which could be 2-3 sessions. I will give her the heads up on the good vs evil storyline! That’s awesome.

As far as the face, this is my main and concern and if it could be salvaged I would be ecstatic. Here is the guidelines I gave her as far as direction goes..

guidline.jpg
First and foremost, here was the direction of the Superman we wanted to create for the initial coverup. I had a different face I wanted and he drew it up accordingly. The problem was, is that once he had the tattoo and ink on, he BS’ed for a good half and hour and the ink ran and he couldn’t see the detail in the face, hence the no detail. I was livid and told him I’d never step foot in there again, which is a shame because he’s highly regarded.

smfce.jpg
Here is the direction of the face and just a guideline if possible to fix up to these standards. I know it’ll be tough, but I also have another picture like this that I turned in, and his head was actually in the same angle of my tat so maybe this could work. Thoughts?

tatoostars2.jpg
Here’s the nebula idea

skytatoo1.jpg
Mixed in with the night sky, with the Superman symbols hidden in the shadow’s and scattered around.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.