tats1974
Participant
@tats1974

I am looking into getting my first tattoo of a rose and butterfly on my lower spine.

I want this tattoo in memory of my late father. The anniversary of his death is this Feb. He passed away in Feb 2009. My questions and concerns are..I have a 3 inch scar from a previous back surgery and would like to tattoo over that and read somewhere I could. The other catch is I may have to go for a second spine surgery. Would it be silly to have this done? I wont put it anywhere else on my body..that’s where I would like it to hide the ugly scar.

I was planning to make the scar the stem of the rose so shouldn’t be to hard to touch up later if needed
I have been turned down by 3 surgeons and only one left to hear from and its been 1.5yrs so I’m thinking I may not be getting the surgery after all.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. This is my very first tattoo and I’m excited and nervous for it all at the same time..lol

I look forward to your feedback

Thank you

Tats

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

you can easily have a tattoo done over a scar but most tattooist will ask you how old the scar is.
they like it to be at least a year old possibly older than that !!
i would not personally get it done till after you know for sure wether you do actually need a second op !

you could always think about a different placement for your tattoo because more than likely you would end up having more than one anyways :rolleyes: they are very very addictive 😀

tats1974
Participant
@tats1974

Thank you for your feedback.

My scar is from 2005 so very old. I thought about putting the tat high and having the scar as the stem. scar is very small only 2.5inches in length and straight cut at my spine. I will consider placing it off from the center of my spine. If I have surgery again it will be much lower S1 so I will figure something out.

Again thank you for your response this is all new to me and not sure what my options are.

Sincerely.

Tats

Benjaminho
Participant
@benjaminho

welcome to the paintrain 😀

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi and welcome

Most scars with the exception of certain deep burns and skin graphs can be tattooed over without too much of a problem but you really should ait at least 18 mths – 2 years before doing so to ensure that it has healed fully beneath the surface.

If you are having more surgery I would wait until you know the exact placement as they may need to cut through the tattoo.

Take Care
Matthew

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

its best to avoid having scar tissue worked on, i personally try and talk them into going near it but not onto it. that way it draws your eyes away from the sacar

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.