mylongears
Participant
@mylongears

Sorry if this has been posted before I did do a search with no results. So my question is at what age did you get your first tattoo? Do you still love it? Regret it?

This comes on the heals of getting my daughter her first tattoo for her 18th birthday. I personally got my first at that age and just recently had it re-colored. (I am 34) I don’t regret it at all and am still proud of it even though I did it behind my parents back and probably in not the best circumstances.

Now why do I ask? I told some “friends” about the gift and they all looked at me like I was out of my mind. I don’t know if they were more shocked by the mere size of it or the fact that I did it at all. I think it looks awesome and so does she but it’s hard to be a confident parent whan there is so much scrutiny out there. Mind you this isn’t some cartoony, fluffy or whatever tat. I will post pics when it’s healed.

Thanks
Kristin

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

very young , hated it after about 3 years and its covered up now

Joker1
Participant
@joker1

Three days after my 19th birthday. Got a gift voucher for my birthday.
They opened Pandora’s box, they thought I’d be satisfied with the one ๐Ÿ˜€

chippyguitarist
Participant
@chippyguitarist

The best gifts last forever, whether emotionally or physically. She’ll remember how and why she got her tattoo, and love it as long as she thinks it through.

I’m 19, and got my first tattoo just a few weeks before my 19th birthday (in August) as a present from my aunt and uncle. I absolutely love it and it’s meaning and it’s a gift I’ll cherish for my whole life.

Bdubbs
Participant
@bdubbs

My mother signed I was 16

The Mighty Ming
Participant
@the-mighty-ming

Got my first at 17. Wasn’t far off my 18th so no one minded.

I just wanted a tattoo because everyone else I knew had one and I wanted to know what it felt like. Now I’m somewhat addicted after getting my sleeve finished, already planning on my left sleeve.

CruisingComet
Participant
@cruisingcomet

I was way too young, just 15 ๐Ÿ™ not only was I young but I didn’t have much money back then – I was still at school and the paper round I had back then didn’t give me enough disposable income to get decent tattoo’s, of course I thought It was as cool as hell back then, looking back I was a total dick! ๐Ÿ˜€

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

I was 26 because I grew up in an area where just about everybody had diy tats or gang/prision tats and I thought they looked shit.

I was tempted at 14 to get one done with am mate in the back of the pet store but the place was filthy so i said no.

I am happy with all my tattoos and I wouldn’t want to remove any.

Take Care
Matthew

steelergirl07
Participant
@steelergirl07

I got mine when I was 16. I love it still. My only issue with it is it’s kind of big on my right shoulder, and after it was done I got addicted and now want to do a whole back piece. But I would have had that issue regardless of what age I got my tattoo.

Dmac
Participant
@dmac

I got mine when i was 19. I wanted one sooner before that but….my moms house, my moms rules. She was fine with it as long as i was 18 or older. so far i dont regret any of the three

-DMD-
Participant
@dmd

Same here, got my first piece at 19.
Love it, and all of the rest. Haha

poxphobia
Participant
@poxphobia

I was 15, a couple days before I turned 16. I got mine from my daddy ๐Ÿ™‚

I chose something pretty simple, just a star on my neck. But however; That star is the most meaningful tattoo I’ve got to this day. It means a helload to me! And the design itself is hard to regret, it’s small,simple, and doesn’t offend anyone. I’m getting it touched up, just because I went to a bad artist, but other than that… No regrets ๐Ÿ™‚

I think it’s great that you can understand your daughter in that way. Don’t care what anybody else is saying!! My parents have been given some grief about me getting so many tattoos as well, but I love my moms take on it all;
She just says,that if tattoos are the worst I’ve got, she’s happy! I’m not doing drugs, I’m getting a degree and joining Mensa, I don’t go out drinking heavily every weekend, etc. Most people shut up when she tells them that ๐Ÿ˜›
If your daughter is a good kid otherwise, I don’t see any reason to not trust her in this decision ๐Ÿ™‚

The Mighty Ming
Participant
@the-mighty-ming
poxphobia;54798 wrote:
I think it’s great that you can understand your daughter in that way. Don’t care what anybody else is saying!! My parents have been given some grief about me getting so many tattoos as well, but I love my moms take on it all;
She just says,that if tattoos are the worst I’ve got, she’s happy! I’m not doing drugs, I’m getting a degree and joining Mensa, I don’t go out drinking heavily every weekend, etc. Most people shut up when she tells them that ๐Ÿ˜›
If your daughter is a good kid otherwise, I don’t see any reason to not trust her in this decision ๐Ÿ™‚

I wish all parents were more understanding of tattoos. My mum and dad have 2 tattoos each, but every time I go for one my dad shakes his head. I don’t need his permission or anything but I would like his approval.
I guess they are worried about me spending all my money on tattoos, but like you said, we could be doing worse things!

BIKERinBLACK77
Participant
@bikerinblack77

I was inked like a month or two after I turned 18.
Had my design at 17 and knew I would forever be proud of it [it’s my firefighter/EMT piece]

What did she have in mind?

rev_martin4
Participant
@rev_martin4

I got mine when I was 28. I actually started it almost a year ago and finished it about two months ago. It’s a little soon for me to regret it. I think it turned out great. I’m also glad I didn’t get one when I was younger because I would have ended up with something that was more trendy and less thought out. I would have probably gotten a small tribal band around my bicep and would definitely regret it now. I’m glad I waited until I was older and could afford to pay a premium for a good tattoo.

-Rev

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.