Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

Great advice there, i take the time to show newbies through our shop, show them the needles, our sterilization room, the tattoo process etc, you can also ask to see their recent autoclave spore test if they dont use disposables, they should be able to produce this for you, i tell people that are new and maybe passing through to do this for their next tattoo if they are at all worried.

We have consent forms that everyone has to sign, i open my needles and autoclave packs (tubes etc) in front of the client, they then have to sign these and they get stapled to thier form and filed.

purplestar
    Participant
    @purplestar
    purplestar;42318 wrote:
    What’s left to be said, that hasn’t already been said. You can’t check out a place enough. Do you have any mate who are tattooed that can recomend a tattoist to you?

The closest tattooist is always the best a good artist is worth travelling a distance to and waiting for a slot, even if you have to wait a few months.

Good luck with the next one.

Purplestar

ps no text tattoos but do have a couple of coverups.

I meant to say, The Closest tattooist is not always the best………

Some of the others have talked about showing the tattoo virgins aroud the shop, this is very reassuring, but when I had my first tattoo done 25 years ago, it never even crossed my mind to look out for or ask about these things.

You want a tattoo….you look at some flash…. you pic your pic and then get pricked. I have to say, that tatto of 25 years has now been covered.

There are still many tattoo shops around that are all flash and don’t have photos of the artists finished work for you to see…..these shops I would. (mmm 25 years ago…coverup).

Yes hindsight is a wonderfull thing. If only you could bottle it ……..oh how rich one would be.

We live and learn.

KnightHawk
    Participant
    @knighthawk

I got my first piece of ink seven or eight years ago. I did check out the shop I ultimately went with, though not as throughly as I would do now (I didn’t have the knowledge).

The thing is though, I checked out EVERY shop in my area. I didn’t know what I was looking for, per say, but when I walked into Heavens and saw the dirt on the floor, I knew these guys weren’t going to be my artists. Good thing too–I’ve known people who got BBP’s from the fuckers in the following years before it shut down due to lack of business. When Skincraft only had portfolios of flash work downloaded off the internet and had no examples of the work they did, I knew they weren’t going to be my artists (though I will admit I asked out the hot chick artist trying to sell me on the idea). When they were rude to me at Shadow Works when I asked to see their portfolios, I told them to fuck the hell off and have dissuaded everyone I know from going there themselves (my artist claims I’ve brought something like $12k worth of referrals into his shop over the years that he knows of–I like to think I’ve cost Shadow Works a comparable amount).

My point being that just because you’re new to ink doesn’t mean you’re relived from thinking about it man. Frankly, with the internet at your disposal. and with all the readily avaible knowledge that implies, there’s no excuse for not having at least a general idea what you’re looking for. Hell, ANY business who ignores you like these guys did to our newbie shouldn’t be used.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.