scottishbeagle
    Participant
    @scottishbeagle

FIrst of all, i imagine this has ben talked about a million time, but I am new to the foum and dont see a thread on it – so my apologis to the “old timers” on here who are sick of this subject!!

I have both of my upper arms done, and wanting to take one of them and making into a full sleeve. My main concern is re-entering the work force (I am currently a full time dad of 2 girls) and the negative reactions of potential employers, etc. I know that tattooing has become more mainstream in society, BUt I am curious to hear form those who have had reaction, good or bad, when they have gotten visable tattoo’s.

I am unsure what indisurty I will be working in (I am college educated, but was fed up with my old line of work before staying home 4 years ago), but just trying to make an educated decision!!

I have been looking around the board, seen a lot of really intresting and informative threads – look forward to getting more involved!

Cheers

Al

stowsea
    Participant
    @stowsea

well here in america tattoos are accepted by many places and feared by more. my advice to you is to go to your interview with a long sleeve shirt on. Nowadays the only places that wont allow tattoos to be shown are hotels, security companies, schools. anything that is supposed to be “classy”.

scottishbeagle
    Participant
    @scottishbeagle

thanks for the response. thankfully I have no desire to get neck/hand.face tattoos, so its not as difficult to cover – just worried about being blacklisted by many industries! not going to stop me being who I want to be though.

AhshKoshBGosh
    Participant
    @ahshkoshbgosh

Find yourself a company that is not too small… not too big either. Like most .com companies are great sized companies and make boat loads of money each MONTH. They hardly EVER deal with the public in person and are usually really laid back.

What did you master in?

X-pressive
    Participant
    @x-pressive

Hi Al. You would be fine here in NZ mate. We are quite lucky to be socially accepted job wise if you are extensively tattooed. It peeves me that people can stereotype us straight away, just for what we adorne on our bodies.
    I think first impressions are what counts most. Present yourself well. What they see is what they get, and thats you. Best of luck with your venture buddy!

scottishbeagle
    Participant
    @scottishbeagle

thank you very much for all your responses. part of me wishes I just didnt give a f*ck but the inner adult in me tries to be responsible! I cant wait to do it. its my life, going to live it the way I want!!

CHAZZMAN
    Participant
    @chazzman

I know of a guy that recently was not hired for a management position. His resume looked good, he sounded good on the phone but when he showed up for the interview his neck tattoos cost him the job. He had on a long sleeved shirt so he would have been hired if he would have kept his neck clean. I wear a shirt and tie daily along with sport coats or suits in cooler weather. It really depends on what type employee you are. If you interview in a long sleeved shirt and tie ,get hired and do an exceptional job ,then I do not believe it would matter as long as you keep your tats covered at work. I have always kept mine covered at work for 25 plus years. I guess I am saying if you can’t cover it then don’t get it. Hands, neck and face are a mistake in my opinion.

iNKYBITS
    Participant
    @inkybits

I gree with the above, keep off face and neck. And if your doing a good job and they are seem then you’ll have your work done to back you. I like to hope as more and more get ink attitudes will change :confused ๐Ÿ™‚ here’s hoping ๐Ÿ˜€ Good luck with the job hunting ๐Ÿ™‚

discontinu
    Participant
    @discontinu

I work in the welding industry. There was a position opening at my shop and 2 guys came in for an interview, 1 tattooed and 1 not. Both excellent on paper, but i think when it comes down to it, even in an industry such as construction, between two identical guys, the employer will usually pick the dude without tattoos.

Its stupid I know, but the stereotype still lives.

I’m not saying DON’t get them, tattoos are kickass, but like everyone else says, keep it off the neck ect.
    and I got two words for you: Long Sleeves!
    untill you’ve been hired of course.

zamc08
    Participant
    @zamc08

@scottishbeagle 28952 wrote:

thanks for the response. thankfully I have no desire to get neck/hand.face tattoos, so its not as difficult to cover – just worried about being blacklisted by many industries! not going to stop me being who I want to be though.

no offence , but i have 2 neck tattoos, one on each side of my neck
    and i dont think its ever stopped me from getting a job….

P1010050.jpg
    P1010148.jpg

bigbud
    Participant
    @bigbud

most people today are ok with tattoos and there is no stigma like there was at one time i have both forearms
    tattoed are people are more concerned what they say rather than them being there
    both are my wifes name 1 in chinese and 1 in arabic
    but mine are always on show because i only wear t shirts

scottishbeagle
    Participant
    @scottishbeagle

oh no offence taken or implied, just looking opinions – I think your neck pieces look great!

zamc08
    Participant
    @zamc08

@scottishbeagle 29584 wrote:

oh no offence taken or implied, just looking opinions – I think your neck pieces look great!

thank you fella ๐Ÿ™‚
    ๐Ÿ˜€

Lady_Baglady
    Participant
    @lady_baglady

I’ve worked at Taco Bell for 2 years and I was heavily tattooed when I started. I had the beginnings of a sleeve on my right arm, and a big piece on the under side of my forearm on the left arm and it’s never really much of a problem. If I wanted to work up front as cashier, then I just have to put on a windbreaker with the TB logo on it, but if I was doing drive through/cooking/cleaning I don’t have to. There’s also a girl there that has a pretty big neck tattoo, and they just either have her work in back or put a few band aids on it. People have asked me about it when they come in to eat. Some people have even asked for directions to the shop I go to. I also worked at Super 8, and the Sleep Inn. Never a big problem.

discontinu
    Participant
    @discontinu

those are dope neck tattoos zamc08, what line of work are you in

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.