Almightymints
Participant
@almightymints

First post here (hopefully Im not breaking any rules…).

I have no tattoos currently but have always found myself fascinated by them and really advocate the idea of having them; so why not on myself?

I have been contemplating over the many factors in getting a tattoo and have settled indefinitely on the idea of having my first piece done on my back. It is the largest area on the body open to tattooing and also the easiest to conceal if necessary.

As far as ideas go, I am sort of on the line between the type of person who gets a tattoo for pure symbolic meaning and the type who looks solely for an aesthetically pleasing one. In other words, I want my tattoos to have meaning but I have NO qualms with the idea of getting add-ons for the sole purpose of making it look better.

As of now the two ideas I would like to somehow incorporate into one tattoo is the Sicilian Triskelion and the Latin phrase “Nosce Te Ipsum” (Translates to “Know Thyself”).

Here is a picture of the style of Triskelion I find myself attracted to: http://http://www.rankmytattoos.com/f/wmimages/arm-tattoo-11521171906798.jpg
(note that it deviates heavily from the traditional Triskelion).

And here is a picture of the font I would want the Latin phrase in: http://washingtonprintmakers.com/files/%28Beneath%20the%20Old%20Masters%29_Nosce%20Te%20Ipsum.jpg

I really want the Triskelion to be between my should blades and having the “Nosce Te Ipsum” be somehow incorporated into it to make a cohesive tattoo would be preferred as well.

Well theres the idea. Any comments? Anything to possibly add on to it? Is it a bad idea?

GrayCatLove
Participant
@graycatlove

I love your user handle! And welcome!

I feel like that’s a big tattoo that requires careful execution. You’ll want to consult an artist and have them draw something up and carefully review it. It’s a very bold image, and I’m not sure it needs text. I’m not big on triskelions for the racism associations, but I don’t know that most people would consider that.

Crackbaby
Participant
@crackbaby

In my mind anything related to Sicily/Italy bring statues, stonework and engravings. Don’t know if that helps idea wise but that’s where I would go with it.

Almightymints
Participant
@almightymints
GrayCatLove;110248 wrote:
I love your user handle! And welcome!

I feel like that’s a big tattoo that requires careful execution. You’ll want to consult an artist and have them draw something up and carefully review it. It’s a very bold image, and I’m not sure it needs text. I’m not big on triskelions for the racism associations, but I don’t know that most people would consider that.

Thank you! That name has been with me for years.

Yeah I can see how it might be a more difficult tattoo for someone to actually do, which is why I have no problem searching for an artist who is skilled enough to pull it off. I live in Arizona though, we have alot of tattoo shops but nothing to famous for their work as far as I know.

As far as the text goes, alot of people seem to agree with you. Most have told that the text should be its own tattoo. So i’ll definitely consider that.Also the racism thing doesn’t really apply to why I want it! But I need your point.

Almightymints
Participant
@almightymints
Crackbaby;110259 wrote:
In my mind anything related to Sicily/Italy bring statues, stonework and engravings. Don’t know if that helps idea wise but that’s where I would go with it.

I totally agree with you. However I honestly don’t see getting a tattoo of a statue being that flattering… Unless you have an idea?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.