PeppermintEgo
Participant
@peppermintego

Hi everyone. Since I’ve always loved Japanese culture and old-school Sumi-e paintings, I’m thinking about getting a half-sleeve of Sumi-e styled cherry blossoms. Do you think this would be a good idea? Do you think it would look better if I had the branches wrapping around my arm or not? I’m thinking about having the cherry blossoms looking like they’re blowing in the wind. Any ideas to make this tattoo look “neater” would be appreciated. Thank you!

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

Like this?

PeppermintEgo
Participant
@peppermintego

Yes, similar to that! I really like the second picture but in the future, if I ever wanted a chest piece, that would ruin it.

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

Have you found an artist yet? Look around at some of your local artists’ portfolios for similar styles. Or ask for referrals from people that have similar quality work that you admire.

A good artist can take that and modify it to an arm piece. They can even draw up a couple of options (wrap around the arm, one side only, shoulder, etc.). That would be a snap to get put on your arm in almost any way by a decent tattooist.

Good luck with it! Let us know what you come up with and post some pics so we can see your cool new ink!

PeppermintEgo
Participant
@peppermintego
Briscogun;97311 wrote:
Have you found an artist yet? Look around at some of your local artists’ portfolios for similar styles. Or ask for referrals from people that have similar quality work that you admire.

A good artist can take that and modify it to an arm piece. They can even draw up a couple of options (wrap around the arm, one side only, shoulder, etc.). That would be a snap to get put on your arm in almost any way by a decent tattooist.

Good luck with it! Let us know what you come up with and post some pics so we can see your cool new ink!

Yeah, I think I already know of someone. Most of the stuff he does in Japanese. Here is an album of his work, that I consider pretty damn good:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set/?set=a.10150127921667074.302605.100476732073

I can’t decide if I want it wrapped around the arm yet though, that’s what I’m having trouble deciding.

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

Those pics on their FB page look clean, and definitely in the style you are looking for.

This is just toally my two cents, so take it for what its worth, but… if it were me, and I was just getting the tree only, I’d do it just one side of my arm/shoulder and not do a wrap around. I think for a wrap around to be fully functional it needs other images to work. So if you added birds, water, or some other elements it plays better in my mind. Ask your artist, though, they may be able to pull something off, especially if you do the tree blowing blossoms into the wind. Maybe the tree on the front and blossoms drifting to the inside of your arm?

Maybe someone else with a sleeve/wrap-around can chime in and give some good advice?

I love japanese style tattoos, though, so I’d be excited to see what you do. Let us know how you decide to go.

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I think that tattoo will be great and the artist looks to be more then competent to pull it off.

PeppermintEgo
Participant
@peppermintego
Briscogun;97316 wrote:
Those pics on their FB page look clean, and definitely in the style you are looking for.

This is just toally my two cents, so take it for what its worth, but… if it were me, and I was just getting the tree only, I’d do it just one side of my arm/shoulder and not do a wrap around. I think for a wrap around to be fully functional it needs other images to work. So if you added birds, water, or some other elements it plays better in my mind. Ask your artist, though, they may be able to pull something off, especially if you do the tree blowing blossoms into the wind. Maybe the tree on the front and blossoms drifting to the inside of your arm?

Maybe someone else with a sleeve/wrap-around can chime in and give some good advice?

I love japanese style tattoos, though, so I’d be excited to see what you do. Let us know how you decide to go.

Adding water or animals sounds like a great idea. What about that famous Wave Painting (have no idea what it’s called or the artist but here’s a pic)

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Sumi-e+wave&hl=en&safe=off&sa=G&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=pWv_8NVCs8A9GM:&imgrefurl=http://elizapulidoart.blogspot.com/2008/10/hokusais-famous-painting-breaking-wave.html&docid=W-hEcVKbTtwC3M&w=320&h=237&ei=2Hl1TrCHPM_I0AHkz5zQDQ&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=93&page=1&tbnh=139&tbnw=185&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:17,s:0&tx=63&ty=38&biw=1280&bih=643

I wonder if they could somehow incorporate that into it with some small koi fish in there? Sounds like too much, maybe?

Briscogun
Participant
@briscogun

That’s actually so funny that you mentioned all those elements, because I was actually trying to design something almost identical! I wanted something on my shoulder/upper arm, with a cherry blossom tree going up one side of my arm and the branches coming up over the top with the blossoms on them, underneath the tree would be a water element with some finger waves (similar to your painting without the large scale of the huge wave, though) and two koi fish (one for me, one for my wife). Maybe some large rocks or something in the foreground that the tree is coming out of to give it scale?

So obviuosly I love your water idea. That style is pefect for your tree concept, but that wave is obviously huge and would probably then become the center piece of the tattoo, not the tree.

Throw it all at your artist, see what they come up with. It never ceases to amaze me when someone walks in with these concepts for a tattoo that they can’t quite put together, and an artist can make it happen in a way that is better than the customer ever imagined!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.