nathanfajkus
Participant
@nathanfajkus

Well guys it has been 10 days since my first tattoo and I’m already conspiring on my next tattoo! While I know tattoos are whatever you want to make of them I would like to stay fundamentally correct in how I lay my tattoo(s) out on my body.

The tattoo I got was dear to me and I chose my right upper arm as the placement. I had no intent of doing a half sleeve or anything, never given it any thought. It takes up most of my upper arm and looking at a lot of half sleeves I haven’t seen a piece this big included as a half sleeve.

SO my question is, I want more artwork on my arm but I don’t know how to go about adding to it but not making it clustered, I want it to flow right. So what should I do??

Add a background and maybe some other small tattoos that flow together? Don’t tie them together, just get some other tattoos and don’t make a sleeve. Or leave it as is?

Here is a picture of my tattoo, it isn’t fully healed yet btw.

1288974526701.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

I wouldn’t go anywhere near that with small tattoos right now, it really pops as it is and a bunch of small tattoos will take away from it

great work too BTW!

What about your inner bicep?

Al

PS: Yeah I can easily see you getting half sleeves ..:D

nathanfajkus
Participant
@nathanfajkus
Aussie_Al;76772 wrote:
I wouldn’t go anywhere near that with small tattoos right now, it really pops as it is and a bunch of small tattoos will take away from it

great work too BTW!

What about your inner bicep?

Al

PS: Yeah I can easily see you getting half sleeves ..:D

Thanks you sir and definitely what I was thinking as well, don’t want to distract from the main piece. But what do you think about doing a background of some sort using filigree or something of the like? Maybe do it in black and white to not overpower the piece and take away from the focus, I think if tastefully done and not too overly cluttered it will make the piece look that much better

PS: My left arm is for sure getting the proper half sleeve treatment 😀

ArniVidar
@arnividar

For my two cents worth, turning that piece into a sleeve could work but would need some very deep thinking not to ruin how special it is now. Perhaps just a subtle shaded background (clouds, fog, water, whatever) to fill in the ‘white’space but not much else. And you’d also need a good border around the current piece where nothing except the same background was, again to keep it seperate yet whole.

Maybe if you turned the entire thing into some sort of insignia/shield design, you could get very sharp outer lines to break it from the rest of whatever would go on the arm, but I’m not sure how that would go…

nathanfajkus
Participant
@nathanfajkus
ArniVidar;76795 wrote:
For my two cents worth, turning that piece into a sleeve could work but would need some very deep thinking not to ruin how special it is now. Perhaps just a subtle shaded background (clouds, fog, water, whatever) to fill in the ‘white’space but not much else. And you’d also need a good border around the current piece where nothing except the same background was, again to keep it seperate yet whole.

Maybe if you turned the entire thing into some sort of insignia/shield design, you could get very sharp outer lines to break it from the rest of whatever would go on the arm, but I’m not sure how that would go…

I’m thinking about about just going with the background and leaving it at that, and if I do decide to do another tattoo in that area it would be coincide with the main piece…I gotta work it but I think I can make it into a sleeve and look good, If I can’t get it right on paper then I won’t be doing it, a little more work can potentially screw the whole thing up, NOT WORTH IT!

guitarguy1
Participant
@guitarguy1

what do the words mean?

maybe you could use a forest colored type piece to “frame off” the work, and then use designs in the same dark green/red/blue/black vein to add a darker background so the work pops even more then it already does. when I see the crest it makes me think medieval and that makes me think of woods and working with wood to survive, thats why I was suggesting like a branch of twisting around the piece.

you could also put a halo of white around the words and the outside of the design with sort of storm clouds surrounding it, maybe some lightning and that sorta thing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.