SacredSerenity
@

So, I’m thinking of getting my first tattoo soon. My ancient heritage is traceable back to the icelandic vikings, so I’m hoping to get a tattoo commemorating that. My idea is to get the Runic symbol of Luck. I know that the Nazis used many of the Runic symbols, so I was hoping if anyone could find evidence that this particular symbol has been used by them. I will post a link. The location of the tattoo is going to be on my upper arm, and instead of a solid design, I want the inside of the symbol to be filled with a Celtic knot pattern, to commemorate that part of my ancestry as well. Is there anyone thinks this isn’t a good idea?

http://shop.travelnet.is/images_products/silver_rune_luckalrun_bindrunes_750lar.jpg

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Hello cousin 😉

That rune does indeed spell luck. Or rather, it spells GÆFA, which is the Icelandic word for luck. This rune (as all runes) was given to us by the norse god Odinn and brings the bearer luck.

Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Hi

I checked in my resources (I started out as a modern history student and covered the SS and the 3rd Reich). Whilst it was common for them to adopt many ancient runes that they felt represented their philosophy (usually battle or leadership related), the luck rune was one not used.

This is conjecture but the SS were obsessed with superiority and physical prowess so it is doubtful they would have used a rune that suggested something outside of their control such as luck (or random odds).

EG The double sig rune (SS) meant victory (in runic terms) but also the name of the organisation Schutzstaffel (protection squad) . I think it was changed by the Germans from sigel (sun) to sieg (victory).

So really it was just used as a mythic trend rather than any real connection to the true origin of the rune.

That said the the Futhorc alphabet is hundreds of years old and predates any modern interpretation placed on it under the Nazi regime.

I would wear your heritage with pride and sounds like an excellent tattoo.

Take Care
Matthew

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.