Balk
Participant
@balk

Hey I went into a shop today to present this idea I’ve had for a tattoo. The artist that I liked was immediately turned off by the idea, saying the black circle outline would look like it was done in a garage since it’s uneven, among other things.

crossbustertatv20.jpg

He also went on about logos, but this means more to me than just the Bad Religion band logo. I wasn’t sure if he disliked it for its insensitivity, or for its design. So I wanted to get some second opinions here. What do you think? Could this be turned into a good looking tattoo?

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

I agree that messy lines will make it look like a poorly executed tattoo.

Would making the lines clean interfere with the integrity of your design?

Balk
Participant
@balk

Not at all. A solid black thickness wouldn’t have any affect on the integrity. In fact all of the artistic values have no affect on the integrity since the symbol has seen so many variants anyway.

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

If that is the case I believe you could have a well done looking tattoo.

You should be able to find an artist that will tattoo this symbol on you, I really don’t see anything offensive about it.

Maybe change up the color in the background, I think it will translate to a tattoo a little bit better that way.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

what does it mean to you? anyone else that sees this is going to think either you really love bad religion or you hate religion in general so I hope the meaning is more important than all the little old ladies you will piss off.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, personally I think THAT thing looks plain ugly, but if were done properly (good cross, good lines, realistic blood, et cetera) then it might look okay. Right now it looks like a 10 year old was trying to color it in, and couldn’t quite fit the red marker within the black lines.

Balk
Participant
@balk

It’s not supposed to be blood… it’s spray paint. But that brings up a good point that I should change the color then to avoid further confusion.

As for the meaning, it really doesn’t directly have to do with religion. It represents freedom of thought and for everyone to think for themselves. Personal integrity, and for others to not define someone’s morals.

I don’t claim to be an artist and I’m sure it could be better. I’ll welcome any ideas too.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Oh.. so it’s SUPPOSED to look like it’s been sprayed outside the lines. That makes sense, but I fear such a concept would always look unfinished or poorly executed :S

I’ve been trying to create a reasonable Stamp-like image for a year (off and on) now. I’ve found that the most difficult thing for a shmuck like me to create, is unevenness. No matter how hard I try, it always looks too cut and dry.. too fake.. too lame. I think pershaps this tattoo could suffer the same fate if you don’t beware.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

My idea for is to come up with your own symbol of independence and freedom instead of borrowing this from a band. It’s interesting that you would pick this symbol, that looks like an attack on religious freedom to me, to represent your right to independent thought.

This is obviously just my opinion and Honestly, I don’t care either way. I’m as agnostic as they come so for me this just looks like a lazy way to express your independence to me. Why don’t you take some time and find something that really means what you are trying to say instead of copying someone else’s ideas.

Balk
Participant
@balk

Cool, thanks everyone for your thoughts and such. I’m gonna redesign it completely but integrate what’s there now. If I get it done within a timely fashion I’ll post the results.

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

It’s really supposed to represent freedom of thought?

Because it does seem to condemn, more than anything else.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

For all the people who don’t know the band that you will meet will just think it is an anti religion piece and that is probably why the artist won’t o it for you. As suggested by others a stamp like tattoo never really makes for a good tattoo.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.