Kaz81
@

New here, new to tattoos, but I could use a hand fleshing out an idea I’ve been kicking around off and on for months. I’ve been wanting to do something sort of about my daughter and the importance of her in my life and mine in hers. What I’d really like to use is some ancient glyphs or symbols, make it very cryptic looking, and very basic. Not really sure how to describe it. lol If anyone’s ever played the Thief series of PC games, that’s what I’d really like to have, but I doubt there’s many real glyphs that look like the ones in that game. I’ve found one for my daughter’s name, Hope, that’s a cross with little bug anntenna looking things on the ends of each line. If I found stuff meaning things like “protect”, “parent”, “love”, “eternal” (I’m thinking an infinity sign for that could work) or any other relevant idea it’d be great. The more meaning I can pack into this thing the better, I think. I even think I know how I can make the placement mean something.

I’m having trouble finding good resources, and I wonder about the accuracy of the ones I have found. So if anyone has any good resources for that I’d appreciate hearing about it. The one I described above came from one of the sites I’ve found. I can try to post some pics using some of the one’s I’ve seen combined in a day or two, so maybe someone will recognize a symbol or at least say wether it looks good or not.

And if anyone has any thoughts on the concept itself I wouldn’t mind hearing them. This is pretty much just for me but if I want it to be cool too.

Thanks.

Dmac
Participant
@dmac

Man I haven’t played thief in ages!

I did find one picture of a glyph in Thief. I don’t remember where it is, but it could be a “protective” glyph.

glyph2.jpg

and then if you go on Thief wiki and scroll down to where it says protective glyphs…

http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Glyph

and click on either compound, library, or door glyph you’ll notice the same symbol in the upper left side of the article

http://thief.wikia.com/wiki/Keeper_Compound

maybe not what you were expecting but definitely something to start on.

Jubakuba
Participant
@jubakuba

I have no idea of a good website to find the REAL meanings for hieroglyphs or anything of the sort…
That sort of thing always makes me nervous.

Maybe your best bet would be to find an actual book with scholars interpretations of the hieroglyphs?
Just a thought.
Or if you can find a .edu website with such information.

Also, I think its a cool concept and a unique way of paying tribute to a loved one…
But if I may make one suggestion…
Make sure you don’t simply place the ‘glyphs in a line or something of the sort.
Combine them into something cool. Maybe on a rock face or something.
They may end up looking messy together if you don’t have a central theme or main object to place them in.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.