Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Here is my take on an idea from another thread. Not as dark as I was hoping. 🙁 Ideas?

C-los.p
Participant
@c-los-p

It would look SICK with a background….make it look as if the ground is all rocky, with dark clouds….or if the skull was at the peak of a mountain with dark clouds….You could also make the skull look more worn out and try to give the raven a different stance..

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Hmm… I think background would help, yes. How about a field of dead? The skull is on top of a rock or something, perhaps even a jaw lying broken somewhere in frame, and a bunch of bones surrounding it (further away)… I’m thinking something like the opening scene in Terminator 2.

And the skull doesn’t look human to me.. or rather, it doesn’t look enough like a human skull.. more like half an emaciated face, with deep set eyes and big eyebrows.

Are you generally a dark artist, by the way?

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Thanks guys! Arni, I love your idea of a field of dead and the whole broken jaw thing, I think that this one is definitely one I will rework later. Yes, I do very little original stuff that doesn’t deal with death or dragons. I’m actually working on a dragon skeleton right now, kind of combining my fascinations. Anyone has any ideas for something to add to a dragon skeleton, would love to hear it!

As to the comment on the skull, I just can’t help drawing everything real dark and deepset when it comes to skulls, something I have to get over, I guess. 😛

C-los.p
Participant
@c-los-p

Perhaps have the dragon carry a dead body on with its claws or beak/mouth(whatever dragons have)….or make it look like it’s returning from a city that it ruined(have like a burning city in the background)…or add it to the field of dead(maybe have it flying in the sky)???

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

The background would look amazing what Arni said, but that is still amazing! nice work dude!

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van

Thanks Wardy. 🙂 I’ve decided to do a complete overhaul when I redo this, turn it into a very dark, gothic style piece with the suggested background. I’ll probably hate it, but it will be a true challenge to my talent! 😀

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van
C-los.p;90306 wrote:
Perhaps have the dragon carry a dead body on with its claws or beak/mouth(whatever dragons have)….or make it look like it’s returning from a city that it ruined(have like a burning city in the background)…or add it to the field of dead(maybe have it flying in the sky)???

Yeah, he’s already airborne, so I like the ruined city idea. Sounds like a great test of my skills. Thanks!

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
Dave Van;90358 wrote:
Thanks Wardy. 🙂 I’ve decided to do a complete overhaul when I redo this, turn it into a very dark, gothic style piece with the suggested background. I’ll probably hate it, but it will be a true challenge to my talent! 😀

if you put a gothic background on it i might have to rob it and get it tattoo’d :p haha

DOJAGUY
Participant
@dojaguy

LOOKS pretty good man. as for the skull, i took a peek at my skull tat and i noticed mine looks mean cuz of the eye socket shape. maybe fuck around with the eye socket and make it look a bit more sinister???

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van
DOJAGUY;90362 wrote:
LOOKS pretty good man. as for the skull, i took a peek at my skull tat and i noticed mine looks mean cuz of the eye socket shape. maybe fuck around with the eye socket and make it look a bit more sinister???

Well, from an artist’s perspective that’s kinda like jacking off. I want something a little more subtle and challenging. I want it to creep you out but you’re not really sure why. Don’t get me wrong, I love wicked looking skulls, they just don’t fit with the realism I’m going for here. Thanks!

DOJAGUY
Participant
@dojaguy
Dave Van;90371 wrote:
Well, from an artist’s perspective that’s kinda like jacking off. I want something a little more subtle and challenging. I want it to creep you out but you’re not really sure why. Don’t get me wrong, I love wicked looking skulls, they just don’t fit with the realism I’m going for here. Thanks!

oh ok i see man… well… im not really creeped out by anything… so…..

but yeah i do ilike the idea… i seen a crow on a dead soldiers boots that looked pretty cool on skin

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

I can see what you mean Dave man! I am nowhere near as good as people on here at drawing as i have only just started really practicing and im missing it because all my fingers are creamed up as i got them touched up again at the weekend! Can’t wait to get back practicing though!!

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Dave Van;90358 wrote:
I’ve decided to do a complete overhaul when I redo this

Well, you also need to practice some animal anatomy and perspective as well. The left foot isn’t only closer to the viewer, it’s actually quite a lot bigger/thicker than the right leg is, and of a different shape/detail/texture. Overall, it’s proportions are all just slightly off.

Dave Van
Participant
@dave-van
ArniVidar;90439 wrote:
Well, you also need to practice some animal anatomy and perspective as well. The left foot isn’t only closer to the viewer, it’s actually quite a lot bigger/thicker than the right leg is, and of a different shape/detail/texture. Overall, it’s proportions are all just slightly off.

Yeah, definitely. I was not happy with the claws at all. I don’t have much experience drawing birds, and was trying a little to hard to make them stand out from the skull while still being visible. Another reason why I’m going for a completely different style with the redo.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.