ostste
Participant
@ostste

I’d really love it if someone could help me out with this tattoo… I want it on my chest to remember my mom and dad who have both passed. It’s based on the childrens book “goodnight moon” which they used to read me all the time and my mom actually left to me after she died last week. What I’d love would be a black and white (maybe some blue/grey?) chest tattoo of a cloudy moon. I think I want it to say goodnight moon too, but I’d love to hear your opinions and whatnot. Thanks a ton guys, I really appreciate any help!

Jlin
Participant
@jlin

First of all let me say that I’m sorry that you lost your mother last week.

I think your idea is wonderful because it is truly personal and unique. I am not familiar with the book, but does it contain any illustrations of the moon that might fit your concept?

What kind of style do you have in mind? Realistic? Drawing? Comic style? Old school? New school? I’m sure there are many more… Also what type of moon? Full moon? Half moon?
Personally I immediately thought of a moon wearing a sleepy head but since this is such a personal tattoo, I really think you are the one who needs to decide on all these details! Once you are clear on how you want it, take it to an artist of your choice whose style you like and let him do his magic 🙂

ostste
Participant
@ostste

I appreciate the sympathy. The story is very cartoon, but it was more the sentimental value of it, combined with what had been written inside of the book by my mom. I’d like something realistic looking.

Here’s the book:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodnight_Moon

I was thinking something along the lines of this for the moon… probably full moon and clouds…
http://images2.layoutsparks.com/1/116278/light-moon-cloudy-sky.jpg

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

So first, ditto Jlin.

I’m sorry for such a terrible loss. But what a lovely momento from your mother, and a wonderful idea for a tattoo.

Sadly, I havent read it either. I just looked on google images and it looks very simple, which may be what you’re after.

if it’s just the imagery, why don’t you have the silhouette of the moon shining through some blue clouds. Adds a little colour, and can stand for your parents still being there as a guiding light, even if you’re separated.

That may be too mushy, or you may be looking for something different.

throw a few more clues on what you’re looking for and I will happily try again for such a great idea.

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Sorry, was writing as you replied. Looks like I was maybe heading the right way?

ostste
Participant
@ostste

Thanks for the ideas. I really like the idea of a realistic tattoo, and i love looking at the moon and seeing the craters and details in the moon… I’d love for those to be visible, but still partially surrounded by clouds

ostste
Participant
@ostste

Deifinitely you were. anybody know a tattoo artist in the Iowa/Minnesota area that does realistic tattoos?

ostste
Participant
@ostste

something I photoshopped really quickly. Let me know what you guys think… just a guideline nothing too solid, but kinda to put my thoughts into picture form

adfdxl.jpg

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Hey.

That’s pretty much what I was seeing, re. the moon, when I suggested that, so great minds!

The only thing I’d do different is make the text smaller and move it into the design? So you have ‘goodnight’ on the left (as I look at it) of the top of the moon, and ‘moon’ on the bottom of the right?

Might just neaten it up and bring it together a bit more.

Do you want it all in upper case? Not a bad thing, just a thing to consider

Poesy

ostste
Participant
@ostste

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, this is just a very quick photoshop, but I think you get the gist. For the font I was trying to make it as similar to the font used on the cover, and that’s what I came up with… haha

Anyways, I’d like to hear your opinion on whether this is a “good” tattoo or not. I’ve had a few people tell me I’ll really regret it and it’ll be cheesy, but I honestly don’t think so. And I know that the tattoo isn’t about what other people think, but I really am curious to get some honest opinions. Thanks guys

Poesy
Participant
@poesy

Aw, screw other people’s opinions unless it’s for your well being, never for their taste.:)

Anyway. I think it is a good idea, and i think it COULD be fantastic. The clouds would have to be done really well for it to work though, IMO. You’d want some amazing shading to get that translucent look so the moon looked good through it.

I don’t think it’s cheesy. Admittedly I’m a girl who loves sentimentality. Mine is based on an 18th century poem and my college at university. Ridiculous, cheesy and, as some think, pretentious.

But I LOVE it. It’s mine, it’s part of me and i wouldnt have it any differentl

ljfran2383
Participant
@ljfran2383

awesome idea, would make a sick looking tattoo have a unique and personal meaning.

I’m not all about adding text though. You dont need it to know what its about, and screw everyone else, they dont need to know the reference. I just think it would look sick with a realist clouds and the moon fiantly shining through.

post pics after you get it!

ostste
Participant
@ostste

I’ll post pics after. The guy I want to do this piece usually has a waiting list of a few months so we’ll see when it happens. But im pumped!

Outlaw
Participant
@outlaw

i quickly drew this up to show what it would look like with curved writing to keep it in a better design shape

ostste
Participant
@ostste

wow great sketch! ill definitely print that out and bring it to my consultation tomorrow. thanks a ton

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.