Sherav
Participant
@sherav

Just a bit of a ramble but my step-father died recently at 53 and although he was ill the death itself was unexpected.

We scattered his ashes today and as I was stood there it came to mind that there is no legacy record of his ink.

He had over 300 hours of work and at one point had stacks of stuff lasered off (mainly gang and prison pieces but still interesting pieces) so he could get room for newer designs.

What is sad for me is that he never bothered to photograph his pieces professionally and now they have gone.

Somehow I just feel it is a loss of art and in part a tattooing style that has begun to fade (He began getting inked from the 1960’s from about the age of 12 all the way through to present).

Anyhow I figured that some of you might understand my thinking as my family who are all anti-ink were clueless about how i see it as a waste and a loss.

Take care
Matthew

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

first off I am sorry for your unexpected loss, there is never a good time,

it is a shame you were not able to photograph his work. It seems like many folk of the generation before you and I didnt pose for alot of photos and no one photographed their ink. Only photos we get are if someone happened to egt photographed in the tattoo shop.

I take ALOT of pictures now as an adult because I missed the opportunity to photograph things as I grew uo and I feel terrible for missing them!!

buttwheat
Participant
@buttwheat

I’m sorry for your loss that is way to young.

bluey
Participant
@bluey

Sorry for your loss.
I guess that is why everyone should fill up their albums on this site to start with.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

sorry for your loss bud

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Very sorry to hear that your step-dad passed away so young. My dad was only 54 when he passed away, and it’s not something easy to accept. Everybody dies, of course, and your parents should die before you, but preferably not for another 30-40 years 🙁

I definitely agree that we need to document as much as we can of our life, both for ourselves and for our families as well. My friends lost a hard drive that contained ALL the pictures of the first 1.5 years of their kids’ lives, and were obviously devastated. So it isn’t enough just to TAKE the pictures, you also need to print them or somehow publish them to a place where yourself and others may enjoy them.

I read a Photographer’s blog the other day, where the photographer posts a letter she received from a client. I believe her sentiments apply equally to tattooing. Although not entirely relevant to the thread, your story reminded me of it so I want to share it with you. I think we can all benefit from the lesson within:

Quote:
July 2nd, 2011

Jeanine –

Today I am writing for a couple of reasons. I have some quiet time at the moment and need to get a couple of things off my mind. I will leave this for my husband to deliver to you when he is ready.

You photographed my wedding, you photographed my first pregnancy and my first baby. I contacted you awhile back to photograph my 2nd child and family. After getting prices and realizing I would want all of the pictures as we love your work – I decided against spending $500+ – which is what I normally spend for portraits and prints with you.. Please know it is not because I don’t value your amazing eye, or how much we love the experience.

That week that I decided to NOT do a session with you, this is how I spent some money.

On Sunday I called and cancelled our session. Monday I went out and got my hair cut ($39+tip), and colored ($65), Thursday I had my nails done ($24), my family went out to dinner at a somewhat expensive restaurant for no particular reason costing us $79 + tip. This was just 4 days since canceling our session, already totaling over $200 for un necessary things. My nails only lasted about 2 weeks, my hair is gone, and seven weeks passed when I got the phone call from our doctor. It was not something I expected and the cancer has spread very quickly. I will be leaving my husband, my 6 year old girl and my now 2 year old – not by choice. It is very hard for me to talk about it which is why I need to write you.

I watch your Facebook page and your posts about the value of a photo and if I could give back all of those things that I purchased this few weeks after I cancelled my session with you, knowing what I know now, and have that session, well… I would do it in a heartbeat.

Now my time is done and there are no more chances for me. The next time someone cancels a session – my wish is that you forward this letter to them. Time is fragile, it is gone before you know you had it. If you charged $200 for one print it wouldn’t be enough for what it is actually worth. I cringe to think that my priorities were a manicure over a memory to pass onto my babies and husband.

My love and thanks for what you have given us from past photos. I am so sorry that I did not see it as more than paper until now.

Karen L.
http://fototails.wordpress.com/2012/01/02/a-letter-on-my-doorstep-portraits-are-more-than-paper

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

Sorry for your loss Sherav.

Tim Hendricks commented on this aspect of tattooing, calling tattooing the “least permanent form of art.” I don’t imagine I’d ever have mine professionally photographed, but I definitely want to make sure that I have some quality pics of my ink that will live on after I’m gone.

msmercury
Participant
@msmercury

My most sincere condolences to you. Your stepdad was just way too young. I definitely believe in documenting everything with photographs. I totally understand your thinking in this matter and how this weighs on you as loss is all ready difficult enough to deal with as it is. It is too bad your family doesn’t get it. I’m quite sure everyone on this forum supports you on this.

Peace & blessings.

Mistress_Of_Pain
Participant
@mistress_of_pain

My late grandfather who just passed away January 13th had a few tattoos. Never really thought about it until reading this thread. Don’t think he had any of them documented or anything either although I did see some older pictures of him where his tattoos were clearer, easier to see than they were when I’d see him when I was young. When he passed they werent much more than black blobs of ink. He was buried so his tattoos will remain until his body decomposes I suppose (God such a horrible thought 🙁 ). Good idea for a thread though, really made me suddenly think about it. All of my tattoos have multiple images. I like to take process pictures as I get a new tattoo done from stencil to finish.

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

sorry for your loss Mathew

hang in there man

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.