Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

Don’t worry about crime man it is way over rated

What is your budget for Hotels and I can suggest to you if its decent or not.

I will try and meet up with you and show you some sites if you want

By the way NYC is much cheaper than LONDON!!!!

Al

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Dunno about my budget.. I’m just trying to get out of there with as small a credit-card bill as I can 😀

We’ll see about meeting up. It will all depend on how tightly I’ll have packed my schedule.

As for London being more expensive.. lies and more lies. It’s bloody horrible, true, but at least there I can get a hotel room in downtown London for less than $250 a night 😀

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al
ArniVidar;93496 wrote:
Dunno about my budget.. I’m just trying to get out of there with as small a credit-card bill as I can 😀

We’ll see about meeting up. It will all depend on how tightly I’ll have packed my schedule.

As for London being more expensive.. lies and more lies. It’s bloody horrible, true, but at least there I can get a hotel room in downtown London for less than $250 a night 😀

i have lived in both London far more expensive

Try these guys for a room http://www.theamericanainn.com/

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Thanks Al. I had already checked out Americana Inn, but for $170 a night I would expect a private bathroom 🙂

Seems to me that the only place to get affordable hotel rooms, is New Jersey.

Aussie_Al
Participant
@aussie_al

Long island City is just over the East river try some of these (safe area too)

Quality Inn
30-03 40th Avenue, NY
(718) 391-0202 () ‎ · qualityinn.com

Holiday Inn Long Island City Manhattan View
3905 29th Street, NY
(718) 707-3700 () ‎ ·

Ramada
3830 Crescent St, Long Island City, NY
(718) 389-9100 () ‎ · ramada.com

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
ArniVidar;93504 wrote:
Thanks Al. I had already checked out Americana Inn, but for $170 a night I would expect a private bathroom 🙂

Seems to me that the only place to get affordable hotel rooms, is New Jersey.

Yep. I used 8/21-8/28 just as an example and looked up some in the area where I used to live.

Residence Inn East Rutherford Meadowlands
10 Murray Hill Parkway · East Rutherford, NJ 07073 USA
169.00 (USD) per night
Studio, 1 Queen, Sofabed, No view Room details
* Residence Inn you get a kitchenette which is nice if you’re trying to keep the budget down a little
*I think there is a bus stop right out in front of the hotel that takes you to NYC Port Authority for this one, but if not there is definitely a bus stop about 2 blocks away.

Ramada Inn
375 W Passaic St
Rochelle Park, NJ 07662 US
80.10 per night
2 Queen Bed Non Smoking Room With Free Wi-Fi, Refrigerator, Microwave Coffee Maker And Hairdryer
* Short walking distance to the Outback Steakhouse, a 24-hour convenience store, couple small shops (e.g. deli) … and about a 1/2 mile from the 2nd biggest mall in the US. My buddy used to bring his favorite call girl here (she was $400 a night). Despite his best efforts, it didn’t end like Pretty Woman.
* There is a bus stop right out in front of the hotel that takes you to NYC Port Authority.

You can also check Secaucus, NJ. There are a lot of hotels there, some of which are located in The Plaza at the Meadows. There is a bus that goes right from the Plaza to NYC Port Authority. Those are probably going to be a little pricey as it’s an upscale development w/ a new gym, movie theatre, restaurants, etc. Anyway, bottom right of the page are the hotel listings in The Plaza.

Adler
Participant
@adler

Being from CT I’ve only used metro north to GCS then I ride the subways so my question for Arni would be how is the accessibility, cost and convenience of taking a bus to and from Jersey, especially at night after a show?

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous

The buses run late, as does the Path if you stay in/near Hoboken. Once you’re in NYC though, you’ll have to commute to/from the NY Port Authority via subway, taxi, or foot. You’ll have to make use of subways/taxis/feet even if you stay in NYC though, as the various sights are located all over Manhattan.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Will definitely be looking over all these links (crawled out of bed to read the replies here) and I definitely like the sound of $80 a night and a bus at the door to get across the water. But what is this Port Authority, and will I have any problems going from the (for example) theater district via metro, around midnight, to this Port Authority and from there onto a bus to NJ again?

Oh, and what’s this 2nd biggest mall called? It seems to me like every state has a mall they claim is one of the 1-2 biggest malls in America.

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
ArniVidar;93518 wrote:
Will definitely be looking over all these links (crawled out of bed to read the replies here) and I definitely like the sound of $80 a night and a bus at the door to get across the water. But what is this Port Authority, and will I have any problems going from the (for example) theater district via metro, around midnight, to this Port Authority and from there onto a bus to NJ again?

The Port Authority is the central transportation hub for NYC. You can get a subway, bus, or taxi from here to anywhere in the city. In the cases of buses and subways, you may have to switch trains/buses of course, so be sure to plan ahead and know which trains you need to take. Taxis are parked outside the building in droves, 24/7/365. They’re expensive but if you ever get stuck, they’ll be there.

In any case, midnight is still fairly early by NYC standards. There is indeed a NJ Transit bus that will take you from the Port Authority to Rochelle Park at this hour.

Depart : PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERMINAL at 12:20 AM
Board : Bus No 163 toward RIDGEWOOD TERMINAL
Arrive : PASSAIC ST AT ROCHELLE AVE at 1:00 AM

ArniVidar;93518 wrote:
Oh, and what’s this 2nd biggest mall called? It seems to me like every state has a mall they claim is one of the 1-2 biggest malls in America.

That’s true. That’s because they can claim their rank based on any factor they choose (e.g. square footage, number of stores, etc.) Anyway, it’s called the Westfield Garden State Plaza.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Again, thanks for all the information!

I’ve found a Bed & Breakfast in the East Village that has a room available for a good price.

From googling and street view, that looks to be a half-decent neighborhood. About a mile from the nearest subway (L-Line) though, so I’ll be walking a bit but that shouldn’t be a big issue. It beats having to go through all the problems of crossing from New Jersey or the Queens/Brooklyn side.

Wardy
Participant
@wardy

Will you take a picture of a american Cheese burger for me please?

ArniVidar
@arnividar

You think they’re any different from the English ones?

Wardy
Participant
@wardy
ArniVidar;93852 wrote:
You think they’re any different from the English ones?

Everybody says over here in England “oh the cheese burgers over here are shit compared to the ones in america”. American ones are supposed to be a lot bigger and more juicy.

So you have to try one and give me your verdict. :p:D

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Wardy;93863 wrote:
Everybody says over here in England “oh the cheese burgers over here are shit compared to the ones in america”. American ones are supposed to be a lot bigger and more juicy.

So you have to try one and give me your verdict. :p:D

I wouldn’t wipe my arse with most fast food burgers and there isn’t one in existence that ranks above mediocre. However, a good homemade burger or one from a steakhouse … mmmmm. 🙂

I typically make them about 7 oz (raw weight). The key to keeping them juicy is simply to not press them down while cooking them.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.