inkdreams
    Participant
    @inkdreams
    D3FiANC3;86198 wrote:
    Just because some of the greats started out this way doesn’t mean that it’s an appropriate path nowadays. People are more educated now and much more aware of the health risks involved in tattooing. Doing tats on live people without going through the proper channels is irresponsible. You’re putting people’s health at risk and you’re also probably scarring them for life with some crappy tattoo. Then again, if someone is stupid enough to get inked by some guy doing tats in his kitchen, I reckon you both get what you deserve. If you really want to practice before you get an apprenticeship, then do it on fake skin which is designed for this purpose.

I don’t believe I said I was doing house tats… Because, well, I’m not.

Using practice skins is a great idea, which I applaud. But it doesn’t do you any good to practice if you don’t know what you’re doing. That’s all I’m saying. For those who cannot afford an apprenticeship, but can afford a machine and some skins, then there should be somewhere they can go to ask professionals the best way of doing something. ONE THREAD.

This place used to have a lot of threads like that. Yea some of them were bad, but some of those people probably got valuable advice that helped them out.

ArniVidar
    @arnividar
    inkdreams;86190 wrote:
    How are people to learn, minus spending several thousand on an apprenticeship, if they cannot ask questions of the “pros”?

The ‘pros’ usually got where they are by putting blood, sweat and tears into their apprenticeship and getting good. They expect others to do the same.

There may be places out there where ‘pros’ welcome teaching scratchers the tips and tricks of the trade for absolutely nothing at all, but this forum is not such a place.

crystalizada
    Participant
    @crystalizada

Hi,
    I am not a tattooist but I saw someone here that wanted to get a memorial tattoo with ashes and I wanted to see more about it as I am looing into getting one, my life partner past away and want to get a memorial tattoo with the ashes and wanted to get more information on the topic if its possible.
    thanks

Wardy
    Participant
    @wardy
    crystalizada;103464 wrote:
    Hi,
    I am not a tattooist but I saw someone here that wanted to get a memorial tattoo with ashes and I wanted to see more about it as I am looing into getting one, my life partner past away and want to get a memorial tattoo with the ashes and wanted to get more information on the topic if its possible.
    thanks

Im convinced.

kittykat200
    Participant
    @kittykat200
    Wardy;103480 wrote:
    Im convinced.

LOL

plus, since when do you pay thousands for an apprenticeship? its like an unpaid or low paid job, i dont know anyone who has paid for it?? am i way off base here??? or does my version of apprentice and yours mean two different things?

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Actually, apprentices can cost the mentor a lot of money, so some of them actually charge for the privilege of being taught.

This, of course, is no different from any other vocational training. You have to pay the teachers/school.

mrchen
    Participant
    @mrchen

some here in Atlanta like world famous Russ Abbott will be charging a few thousand, all of it will come back to the apprentice in the form of equipment and supplies…….100%

others like Bradon Bonds All or Nothing charge because the people teaching you have to spend time with you!
    At AON you are expected to do ALOT of drawing, constantly, you will be judged by Dave Tedder and Matt Dunlap, this uses time, time is money………you work in every aspect of the shop is monitored……again, time and money

The teachers are themselves nationally or internationally known artists and as you know a tattoo artist is only making money when that machine is running and there are only so many hours in the day to do that, so teaching you costs them and the shop money,…………..seems fair to me?

patch
    Participant
    @patch
    celticking;76086 wrote:
    Corey Miller started in his house at the age of 15, with a homemade tattoo machine from a rotary motor and guitar string

This would have been like 30 years ago. Before AIDS and HEP C were everywhere. Hell, some people still used “blood buckets” back then.

mrchen
    Participant
    @mrchen

as for famous artists who started illegally I believe I have heard everyone of them say it wasnt right, times were different,
    there are alot more transmissible diseases to worry about now, the industry has learned alot, I think this needs to be professionally taugt

DavidJednat
    Participant
    @davidjednat

My apprenticeship is/was free. I was expected to do all the setting up, tube scrubbing, sweeping, mopping, customer service, answer phones, run errands, sterilization, cleaning stations after tattoos, draw 3 completed and colored designs daily, so on and so forth. When my work was done I was allowed to sit in with the artists and ask questions and watch.

So I guess I still paid for my apprenticeship in a way. I was however responsible for buying the thousands of dollars worth of equipment and supplies to get started.

I think what it comes down to is- if you have the talent, you will eventually get an apprenticeship. If you don’t have what it takes to get one, it probably isn’t the right thing for you. If you’re too dumb to get into college you shouldn’t be able to have a degree because you want one. You have to work for an apprenticeship and the privilege of being a tattoo artist.

mrchen
    Participant
    @mrchen

amen, well spoken by a man who made it!

kittykat200
    Participant
    @kittykat200
    DavidJednat;103732 wrote:
    My apprenticeship is/was free. I was expected to do all the setting up, tube scrubbing, sweeping, mopping, customer service, answer phones, run errands, sterilization, cleaning stations after tattoos, draw 3 completed and colored designs daily, so on and so forth. When my work was done I was allowed to sit in with the artists and ask questions and watch.

So I guess I still paid for my apprenticeship in a way. I was however responsible for buying the thousands of dollars worth of equipment and supplies to get started.

I think what it comes down to is- if you have the talent, you will eventually get an apprenticeship. If you don’t have what it takes to get one, it probably isn’t the right thing for you. If you’re too dumb to get into college you shouldn’t be able to have a degree because you want one. You have to work for an apprenticeship and the privilege of being a tattoo artist.

this is how the artists i know made it. they didnt pay for it but bought their own supplies and worked in the shop 🙂 so i guess if you’re lucky you dont always have to pay 🙂 x

ArniVidar
    @arnividar

Where’s the difference between paying for the apprenticeship and getting the necessary equipment from the mentor, or not paying for the apprenticeship and having to buy the necessary equipment yourself? Aren’t the two methods more or less the same thing?

DavidJednat
    Participant
    @davidjednat

I spent more money on supplies and equipment than most apprenticeships cost. I would still have paid if I had to though. College students have to buy books and supplies all while paying tuition.

kittykat200
    Participant
    @kittykat200

there’s not much difference though i would imagine the cost of notepads and pencils dont cost 7k and you dont have to buy a big flashy machine not to mention the fact that you wont need one for a while anyway while you hone your drawing skills so you have more opportunity to spread the cost so you would probably save more money this way. so yes if you look at it in that sense it will cost you money either way but you dont always have to pay someone to teach you 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.