#28554
    turbosatan
    Keymaster
      @turbosatan

    Hi All

    Regarding unlicenced / Scratcher discussions we are now taking a no tolerance approach. We will not allow any questions regarding how to tattoo or advice on types of guns to use or inks etc.

    There is a pro artist area which will be proomoted fully over the coming months where people may swap tips and tricks. To get into that area you simply need to scan and send your health/registration certificate to us and we will approve you as a member.

    I understand that there are many tattooists who started in the basement or kitchen and have turned out as great artists but it is simply not possible to manage this on a one off basis.

    I have no grand illusions that stopping the diuscussion will stop people from tattooing at home using guns and ink from Ebay and i would actively encourage you to post your work on the site to get feedback so that you can improve yous skills but please do not ask for instruction.

    There are a lot of reasons behind this decision some of which i would liek to share with you soon once we have had a chance to complete the pro area and provide the kind of support to the tattooing world that we would like to be able to achieve.

    thanks in advance for your support.

    #57369
    Izarrasink
    Participant
      @izarrasink

    How about those of us that dont need a licence? In my town anyone can tattoo, I am a professional artist and have a studio, but i cant send you my licence as i dont have one. We only have guidelines that we abide by, some towns you need to be registered but here we dont. So can i still be included in this area of the forum, i could send you my autoclave serial number lol.:D


    Do it once, Do it right
    http://www.bodymodz.co.nz
    #57372
    eveline
    Participant
      @eveline

    that is so true, i’m from poland and living in between uk an poland actualy and back home we don’t need a licence to open a shop, anyway i think there should be area of forum where pro’s can answear questions regarding tattooing to so called scraches, i hate that word by the way, every tattooist was a scracher once and not everyone learned to tattoo in a pro studio, sometimes there’s just no oportunity, no way to become an aprentice, it is hard to find someone who would teach you. but there’s a talent that should be developed. i think forum should be open to everyone and it should be up to the artist to answear or not. what is the point of talks pro to pro we are in the same trade wich means every other artist will be a competicion so i don’t htink profesionals will share what they know with other pros, but they can help a little all those talented people who may one day become great artists, at least with the set up of machines, sterilization and just basics. i am not saying that because i wan’t to learn, no no i know what i need to know, but i also know how hard it is to learn what is there to learn. so this is my opinion* and opinion only. thanku, regards – eveline

    #57374
    turbosatan
    Keymaster
      @turbosatan
    Izarrasink;31800 wrote:
    How about those of us that dont need a licence? In my town anyone can tattoo, I am a professional artist and have a studio, but i cant send you my licence as i dont have one. We only have guidelines that we abide by, some towns you need to be registered but here we dont. So can i still be included in this area of the forum, i could send you my autoclave serial number lol.:D

    I know there are going to be exceptions to the rule and we are working on it so we can include those who run shops but are not required to have a licence

    I also agree eveline that we should provide some information to people regarding clean practice etc so that the people who do learn in their kitchens have the opportunity to do this in a safe manner. as i said in my post i am underno illusionsthatpeople will stop tattooing from home or in their shed just because i dont allowthe discussions here but i do believe that the correct way to start tattooingis as an apprentice in a shop.

    I dont think we should provide details of how to setup a tattoo gun or techniques for applying the tattoo’s. i am going to provide details on sterilisation and use of autoclaves and ultrasonic cleaners etc because this will hopefully provide the safest environment possible for people visiting the budding new tattooist

    #57381
    Izarrasink
    Participant
      @izarrasink
    turbosatan;31806 wrote:
    I know there are going to be exceptions to the rule and we are working on it so we can include those who run shops but are not required to have a licence

    I also agree eveline that we should provide some information to people regarding clean practice etc so that the people who do learn in their kitchens have the opportunity to do this in a safe manner. as i said in my post i am underno illusionsthatpeople will stop tattooing from home or in their shed just because i dont allowthe discussions here but i do believe that the correct way to start tattooingis as an apprentice in a shop.

    I dont think we should provide details of how to setup a tattoo gun or techniques for applying the tattoo’s. i am going to provide details on sterilisation and use of autoclaves and ultrasonic cleaners etc because this will hopefully provide the safest environment possible for people visiting the budding new tattooist

    I have a separate studio on my residential property, it is not viable for me to rent a shop in town as we have kids, i only tattoo on certain days of the week by appointment and all day Saturday and Sunday, I’m also self taught and certainly would not call myself a scratcher, i was lucky enough to have 2 fellow tattoo artists to guide me but did not do an apprenticeship. Being a wife and mother that is my full time job, tattooing is my partime job at least until all children are at school. If people are going to ask about buying a TATTOO GUN i will not speak to them or give any advice, but i think a good section on BBP’s Cross Contamination, Safety and Hygiene etc would be a very good thing. My two pesos lol:D


    Do it once, Do it right
    http://www.bodymodz.co.nz
    #57389
    bandit 666
    Participant
      @bandit-666

    Just my opinion but…….

    If you work from home and have no training or indeed mentor to help you along the path then you are a scratcher. If people really want to be “professional” then how can they achieve that without any form of training ? Just picking up a tattoo MACHINE and starting to tattoo people is the very definition of scratcher.

    Bandit


    Locked and Loaded.
    #57390
    eveline
    Participant
      @eveline

    oh comon i don’t agree guy aitchison has studio at his house u gonna call him a scracher? how about aaron cayne his tattooing at his house and makes machines there as well. proffesional tattoo artist is someone who does profesional work doesn’t metter where if someone was lucky enough to get aprentecip good for them and it is a proper way but some people aren’t this lucky, like izzarasink i have a child as well and motherhood takes up most of your time but we still do what we love by working from home. thing is there is no law against it so if u wanna call us scrachers, fine but it will not stop us from doing what we love

    #57392
    bandit 666
    Participant
      @bandit-666
    eveline;31833 wrote:
    oh comon i don’t agree guy aitchison has studio at his house u gonna call him a scracher? how about aaron cayne his tattooing at his house and makes machines there as well. proffesional tattoo artist is someone who does profesional work doesn’t metter where if someone was lucky enough to get aprentecip good for them and it is a proper way but some people aren’t this lucky, like izzarasink i have a child as well and motherhood takes up most of your time but we still do what we love by working from home. thing is there is no law against it so if u wanna call us scrachers, fine but it will not stop us from doing what we love

    There is no such thing as luck when it comes to an apprenticeship. A good solid portfolio of artwork and determination is the order of the day. Good old door knocking and asking established artists to help you out. If you are determined enough then doors will open. If you want to play at it then that is your perogative. As I said it was just my opinion………….;)
    BTW from Guy Aitchson,s own bio

    In 1989 I began tattooing, apprenticing at Bob Oslon’s Custom Tattooing in Chicago for two years until 1991.

    He apprenticed.


    Locked and Loaded.
    #57394
    eveline
    Participant
      @eveline

    hun i understand that it’s is ur opinion just saying i have tryed at studios arround my area and i do have a nice portfolio but as i said it isn’t that easy, although i am determined artists aren’t so much, because of mother duties and my job i can not comit myself to every day in the studio and that is what studios expect, anyway all i’m saying is for people with no commitment like family it’s more difficult than for pips with no commitments. anyway it’s cool…. we all have differen’t views

    #57397
    bandit 666
    Participant
      @bandit-666
    eveline;31837 wrote:
    hun i understand that it’s is ur opinion just saying i have tryed at studios arround my area and i do have a nice portfolio but as i said it isn’t that easy, although i am determined artists aren’t so much, because of mother duties and my job i can not comit myself to every day in the studio and that is what studios expect, anyway all i’m saying is for people with no commitment like family it’s more difficult than for pips with no commitments. anyway it’s cool…. we all have differen’t views

    I wasn’t really having a dig at you or anyone else on a personal level :p

    I do have strong feelings on the subject though. It took me nearly six years to get my mentor to take me under his wing and show me what was what. I fought hard to get where I am now and it pisses me off no end when anyone can buy pieces of shit equipment from egay then promptly call themselves tattoo “artists”

    There are generally three attitudes anong established established artists when it comes to the dissemination of knowledge. The first is the “go fuck yourself” the second is “go fuck yourself, unless you want to buy my dvd/book on how to tattoo” The third is mainly people like me who will help only the worthy. that is to say the ones who impress us with dedication and a desire to learn our craft.

    Those who buy the kits will rarely ammount to anything let alone being the next Aitchson they are either in it for money or the “kudos” of being a tattoo artist. They take from our craft and give nothing but the headache of having to cover up badly done tattoos.


    Locked and Loaded.
    #57409
    Izarrasink
    Participant
      @izarrasink
    bandit 666;31832 wrote:
    Just my opinion but…….

    If you work from home and have no training or indeed mentor to help you along the path then you are a scratcher. If people really want to be “professional” then how can they achieve that without any form of training ? Just picking up a tattoo MACHINE and starting to tattoo people is the very definition of scratcher.

    Bandit

    I really do hope you are NOT calling me a SCRATCHER!:mad:


    Do it once, Do it right
    http://www.bodymodz.co.nz
    #57413
    AhshKoshBGosh
    Participant
      @ahshkoshbgosh

    obama_chill-300x209-1.jpg<< i just thougth that was pretty damn funny!!

    Alright kiddos simmer down now….

    Shit i just had a great post and my IE went out. bastards

    Anyways

    Lets not get upset due to posts from others that some members may take as disrespect.

    I doubt anyone here means disrespect

    Turbo has the right idea not allowing such posts to be on the forum. People who are starting out in the tattoo ind. need to do their own research and go to the right place to get the correct answers. I understand that and am totally with him.

    I know some GREAT tattoo artist out there that started in their garage and such. I also know GREAT artist that went thru a shop and a mentor. Either way I have no doubt that any of you on the forum are great at what you do and I am surely in awe of all of you and what you do. Kudos to you all!

    Please if anyone sees a scratcher post asking what they are supposed to do and looking for simple How-to’s then alert Turbo, Demure, or Myself so we can takee the appropriate action on these posts if we haven’t done so already.

    😀


    "Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it" -Confusius

    #57420
    Izarrasink
    Participant
      @izarrasink

    LOL:D the obama thing is funny


    Do it once, Do it right
    http://www.bodymodz.co.nz
    #57421
    Izarrasink
    Participant
      @izarrasink

    Oh and i just thought i would add, even though i work from home, my studio is separate from my house, i am fully booked through till the end of March. This has been all through word of mouth, i ask people what they think about coming here, they say they really feel comfortable, there’s none of that “ego atmosphere” that you can get at tattoo studios in town, they also know they have my FULL attention, the phones not going to ring, people arent going to pop in to watch whats going on, they have the utmost privacy, hence i get alot of woman clients. Im in it for the art, i love creating and i love being able to design one offs for my clients, they always get to take their piece of artwork home as well as their tattoo lol. I get great satisfaction out of seeing my clients happy, hence they keep coming back. I did a 5 year apprenticeship in signwriting, ran my own business, won awards, have had many exhibitions from my artwork, so i suppose i’m one of the lucky ones that tattooing has come naturally to. However i did do alot…and i mean ALOT of research on every aspect first and asked a million questions from my two mentors. I would have liked an apprenticeship but when you have family they do come first. Once again my to pesos lol:D


    Do it once, Do it right
    http://www.bodymodz.co.nz
    #57422
    eveline
    Participant
      @eveline

    to BANDIT 666……………listen i understand what u r saying and don’t agree with people buying kits from ebay thinking this is all they need to tattoo, there’s a looooot more to it and i belive that if u have to spend a lot on good equipment it’;s best to do it than regret buying cheap kits later. and i don’t agree with people who want to do it coz it’s cool, or money is good or whatever other stupid reason they have, at the end of the day it’s meant for expression of art and artist, should have a deep meaning and correct aproach as to art.
    there are those who truly love the profesion and those who take a piss, i know where u comin from and let’s stop here further conversation isn’t required on the subject.i just wanted u to understand that not everyone is the same and one so called scracher can be realy dedicated and involved, and do things correctly when another won’t fallow that same way.but that correct one can be a great artist maby greatest than pro, so have understanding for those kind of people.
    take care – eveline

    Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 109 total)

    You must be logged in to create new topics.