Zephyr KL
Participant
@zephyr-kl

I’ve been having a lot of discussion regarding using someone else’s tattoo design with my friends. Some of them seem to think it’s fine as long as you’re getting it for the right reason, and others say it’s just downright wrong to have a similar design.

I figured I’d get all of your opinion on the situation, since I’ve ran out of places to ask. Basically, I am a massive fan of the RHCP, John Frusciante in particular. The man has not only influenced the way I play my guitar, but the way I live in general. I’ve been trying to figure out a sort of ink I could get to show my dedication, but I’ve been blank for a while. I’ve been looking at his octopus tattoo he has on his right arm, and it really appeals to me.

I’ve considered what the octopus symbolizes and means to me personally, and I love the idea. But, would it be wrong to put his design on my own body, even if it has large significance to me personally?

Here’s a picture for anyone interested…

I just don’t know what to do about it. I have some original designs, but none that speak to me as much as this does.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder

Personally, I think this is a little weird. If you like the idea, fine, but get your own take on it. You can find a way to make this like the one you like without getting THE tattoo you like. If I was John Frusciante I would feel really uncomfortable knowing that you copied my ink.

Just my .02

Zephyr KL
Participant
@zephyr-kl

Thanks for the reply. ๐Ÿ™‚

I talked to my new artist about this, and we discussed original ideas we could do that would satisfy me. I’ve decided that I’m going to get a different octopus design, and I’m getting it done on my side/my ribs.

I’m really excited for it, it’ll be my first colour tattoo, and I’m really curious how it’s going to feel on the ribs. I hear it’s pretty painful.

Gsouder
Participant
@gsouder
Zephyr KL;75339 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. ๐Ÿ™‚

I talked to my new artist about this, and we discussed original ideas we could do that would satisfy me. I’ve decided that I’m going to get a different octopus design, and I’m getting it done on my side/my ribs.

I’m really excited for it, it’ll be my first colour tattoo, and I’m really curious how it’s going to feel on the ribs. I hear it’s pretty painful.

Awesome! I think you are going to be really happy with that choice. I don’t have anything on the ribs- at the rate my belly is growing it would look silly on me- but I’ve heard it’s a pretty painful spot to get tat’ed. You should be fine though, just keep your mind in check.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.