onthejazz
Participant
@onthejazz

Just had a koi done on my right shouder now I want a tatt for the other side,but want it to tie in with the koi or jap theme have no idea what to get don’t want odd tatts here and there so need some help please. I’ve already got a little mouse tatt on my left shoulder but think ill get it covered with the new one. Thanks for any ideas u give

ArniVidar
@arnividar

First, I can’t give an answer to your question since I am no fan of Jap tats. There are, however, many here with that interest and you will probably get a better answer in that department.

Secondly, I’m sorry if I sound like a total prick but please consider finding a different artist for this tattoo. You are not getting the best you can get with your current one.

onthejazz
Participant
@onthejazz

Thanks for the comment,I’m kind of sad noone likes the tatt it is my first what I’d call real tatt and I suppose I was hopeing for more!

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Okay, I don’t want to hijack this thread so I’ll try to make this quick and simple, but I also need to reply to your post.

The koi is not really bad. You should not be unhappy about getting it. What you must consider is that this forum is full of people who’s lives revolve around tattoos. We both have insane enthusiasts (I, for one, am certifiable :)) and even professional tattooers in here, and then there are many like yourself.. just ‘normal’ people who like tattoos but don’t spend every waking moment talking, thinking and planning them. Many of the regulars in this forum are part of the first two groups, and combined we have probably seen a million Koi fishes. We have seen some horrible ones and only a few really spectacular ones, and the rest falls somewhere in between.
The Koi fish has some significant meaning in Japanese folklore, and because of this it is a very common choice for a tattoo. The Koi fish tattoo is a symbol of fortune, and that resonates with people. Who doesn’t want fortune and prosperity in their lives?
This is exactly why people like us have, in reality, grown very bored with the Koi.. much like with Kanji. But just because WE are bored with Koi and Kanji, does not mean that YOU should feel any worse for wearing it on you. This is YOUR first and only Koi. Wear it with pride, for when you are happy with your ink it does not matter what anyone else thinks. Tattooing can be the ultimate form of self-expression. It’s painfully permanent and nothing people say or do can take that from you. (well, a sicko could CUT it off, but let’s not go there)

We do not like Koi because for us it is very mundane, very bland, very… boring. Don’t let our opinion dishearten you!

onthejazz
Participant
@onthejazz

thanks for your reply and for calling me normal 😀 my freinds at work would laugh at that one.i know now after being on here a few days how hardcore some guys on here are and ill now try to keep that in mind. ive seen some great tatts on here and really want to aim for the same in the future.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Hi,
Don’t be disheartened about the piece take a look at my Koi in my gallery I have just had the piece finished so it looks a little bit different now than in the picture. I love Japanese tattoos and Kois are great as Arni said there are many tattoo artists on here and with any popular choice it must become a bit mundane for them as i’m sure they enjoy more challenging pieces than the Koi.
I have a few ideas about future work including a temple back piece with a stairway and foo dogs guarding.
I have no real interest in horror tattoos, bio mechanical, or tribal but can appreciate good work when I see it. Mark Bailey did a kick ass Frankenstein on some fellas arm when I was in Golden Dragon in Chester granted I wouldn’t wear it on my skin but it was a killer piece non the less.
I am facinated by Japanese, portrait and pin up work and other styles like Valarie Vargas work which is kinda old school but real crisp.
Take a look at other Japanese work on line google search will give you some ideas.
As mentioned above go to an artist who has extensive Jap work in his/her profile to ensure what you get next is top notch.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.