dag24y
Participant
@dag24y

I think it’s a really bad idea to get pierced before you’re 16 and inked before you’re 18. Hell, I think most people who are 18 or 19 shouldn’t be getting tattooed either :/ (some people take longer to mature, as we all know, plenty of people this age are totally ready to commit)

That said, just because it’s an awful idea doesn’t mean it should be illegal. Tattoos I would say absolutely not for people under 16, and between 16 and 18 with consent . I’m pretty much fine with the laws saying that nobody under 18 can get tattooed at all though.

For piercings, I think it should be 13 and up for everything other than genitals or nipples and under 18 (or under 16) need parental consent. Genitals and nipples only on over 18s.

Tattoos last forever and can dramatically alter your ability to get a job/be accepted/blah blah. Piercings, unless you rip it out or it gets horridly scarred or infected (which is not really contingent upon age, especially as a teenager. They’re not that hard to take care of) leave a tiny little scar and are not permanent. That’s why I don’t really think piercings are a very big deal. Just so long as someone is old enough to understand the significance of what they are doing and care for it properly.

Miss. Harrison
Participant
@miss-harrison

It is so wrong when kids under the age of 16 get piercings, I know a 13 year old who recently got her belly button pierced without her parents consent and in my opinion the piercer was so out of order!

It’s just another example of kids trying to grow up too quickly! and in some cases such as young girls getting tongues and belly piercings it’s a case of secualising young children! I can’t really talk for over 16s as I had my belly button, ears, nose and scaffold done at 16 but I waited til I was 18 to get my tongue and first tattoos done!
Also the parents fault for letting it happen I mean it makes me sixk seeing babies get their ears pierced and it’s so chavvy! My parents told me if i got a tat or piercing underage then they would be furious and I was too frightened to do it because of that, glad of it now as I am so happy I waited!

Anyway under 16s should not be allowed anything except lobes pierced and under 18s shouldn’t be allowed sexy or mature piercings like nipple, genital, navel or tongue! and tattoos…deffo not for under 18!

just my view though!

PandorasJar
Participant
@pandorasjar
Izarrasink;50254 wrote:
our studio has a policy with piercing, lobes are fine at 7, (with parental consent) anything else under 18 is with parental consent, and the parents have to be present.
We would NEVER pierce a 6 year olds nose that is ludicrous and totally insane.

I agree in general.
I waited until I was 14 for my ears and 17 for everything after. And am very glad I did. Had I gone ahead at 14 and got the piercings I wanted, I would now have several obvious scars, waiting until I was older made me appreciate the future implications of any piercing, therefore I have no facial (bar ears) piercings. As I’m now a lecturer I am very glad of this decision!
I had quite a heated discussion on a previous forum regarding a mother whose 11 year old daughter had a tongue piercing. She saw absolutely no issue with this and couldn’t believe that I could see a sexual nature to the piercing.

I also can’t stand young babies with pierced ears, I’m of the view that the child should be of an age to agree to this.

However the one exception I make is for religious reasons. I can understand younger children having ears and noses pierced for this reason. (This is coming as an absolute atheist)

I got my first tattoos last year, when I turned 19. One was a design I’ve had since I was 14 and know will never want to change. The other was a simple design on my wrist. Both are original and my new one (next week) will also be original and have meaning. I know that I will never regret these as they have significant meaning for me.
The number of my friends who were tattooed with the first design they saw in a shop and liked is mad though. Several have the same tattoo and I can’t believe that none will regret them. I’m definitely a believer that the tattoo should mean something to you.
Again, the only tattoos I approve of before 18 are medical ones.

L

larz
Participant
@larz

i got my ears peirced when i was ten. got my tongue peirced when i was 13. gave myself a shitty tattoo with my dads gun while he was out picking some things up for the shop when i was 14. have since then gotten 9 more tattoos (the right way) and removed the tongue ring. after a few years i decided it was just stupid and i didnt like chipping teeth. as for the topic of kids being able to make life choices like that, it is possible. the only visible tattoos i have that arent covered by a tank top and shorts are the ones on my forearms that read R.I.P on one arm and A.L.H. on the other, a memorial for my little brother who passed away. frankly i wouldnt cover them up for any job, school, person anything. if i decide to wear a shirt that covers them, then thats fine. but 99 percent of the time if im not freezing my balls off, i roll up my fucking sleeves and display them with pride, im proud of who my brother was as a person, and any chance i have to show off my love for him, im going to take. anyone who wants to mae me hide this, can jump off a fucking cliff.yeah, im only 17. i dont have a job for the fact that im a 4.0 gpa honors student and it takes time to maintain that. also the fact that i have no bills, because i dont drive and all, means i dont need money. i do earn money doing odd jobs in my neighborhood if needed, and im working my way into becoming a tattoo artist just like my old man. people that criticize others for their choices, need to realize. its life. were here to fuck up as much shit as we can, while we can. i already got 30k waiting for me in scholarships waiting for me, and im only a junior. so any one that wants to hold their nose up at me because of what i choose to do with my body, can take their crappy $7.50 an hour job and stuff it up their ass.

TooManyNotEnough
Participant
@toomanynotenough

This is all a hard call and think it would be unique for each individual in that moment. Never say never right? As I was reading all these I thought of this recent tattoo thread I read: http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/tattooforum/threads/219-Would-you-let-your-kid-get-tattooed-before-18

PandorasJar
Participant
@pandorasjar
KnightHawk;50320 wrote:
But peircings, I say go for it when you hit fifteen, as long as we’re talking minor piercings like eyebrow rings, septum, belly button, monroes…the kind of thing that only leaves a tiny, round scar no one will notice anyway.

I have to disagree on the eyebrow piercing scar. I think it’s one of the most obvious scars that can be seen, especially on girls.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.