anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
Aussie Tom;108034 wrote:
Are you saying walk ins are a fad? That’s a 100 year fad if that’s the case.

No, he’s saying that many people these days only get tattoos because it’s a trend right now.

You really have a knack for misinterpreting people and starting arguments based on your assumptions.

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane
Amok;108032 wrote:
In 20 years when asked why I got my tattoos, I don’t want the answer to be “cos I thought it was cool….”

why not? I’ve only just had my outer half sleeve done, it took me 2-3 years to settle on a theme but I settled on it because I think its pretty/cool but I also think its timeless.

You cant suggest that a few years of deliberation over pretty/cool is a less legitimate reason to get inked than 2-3 months of thinking about what will loosely represent some great life moment.

I have to agree about the type of being tattooed. I go to the most well know, reputable studio in Sheffield and my artist was telling me this morning about her customers recently. How they’ve changed, how they cant cope with pain cos its fashion not passion, how they complain about the type of music played in the shop…At least these people are seeking out the best for their fads.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

ulitimately alot of us hardcore enthusiasts would like to see a reduction in the percentage pf people who regret the ink they have gotten…………..many of the forums members are still young and the jury is out as to how you will feel about your ink in 20 years.
I think the laser tattoo removal industry is going to make an awful lot of money over th enext few decades.

It was my thought (just mine) that ink that was truly planned out over a long period would probably stand the test of time.

I do believe, well heck I know (theyve told me straight up) that alot of people are getting tattooed becasue it is fashion / trend. There are girls submitting their whole bodies to artists on a volunteer basis for a planned set of ink……..just so it will be photographed, for the promotion of their work…….nothing wrong with that, but that is a big decision, I hope it is well thought out

I think it makes the industry look bad as a whole, when 30-50% of people say they would do something different if they had a chance to do it over…………..that sucks

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

so does it have to have meaning?
not neccessarily,
but they do require a heck of a commitment and alot of people are finding out they didnt think that out for themselves

Morwin Nerdbane
Participant
@morwin-nerdbane

Its like divorce. Kids get married young without thinking it through cos divorce is so easy. Same with laser removal, tattoos aren’t seen as permanent anymore.

I think you either have the tattoo….i’ll call it a gene. I love my impulse tats as much as my well thought extensively researched pieces even my shit tribal on my hips. They are who I am and what im about. I think if you have the tattoo ‘gene’ you’ll be ok for the rest of your life.

Meanings are subjective. You can apply meaning to a pile of poo if you think about it long enough.

mrchen
Participant
@mrchen

amen, I believe it, I see people with the gene and people without and you can tell who they are in 5 minutes of conversation……………my ink aint coming off, it was many years in the planning……….only regret, there isnt enough skin for all my ideas!

meanings are personal, you can look at my ink and I can look at yours and neither of us probably has any idea what the wearer meant to say……..so I usually dont explain any of it

Im overly optimistic………I want everyone to love it, I guess because I love it so much

Kit Piper
Participant
@kit-piper

“Pretty” or “funny” has only one layer.

“Meaningful” can have many, many layers.

Permanent ink in the skin is worthy of something that has more than one layer.

Our definitions of pretty or funny are more changable than our definitions of what is meaningful. Heck, I used to think My Little Pony was pretty. Luckily I could give my pony t-shirt away when my definitions of “pretty” changed. I want my tats to be pretty, but they need to be more than *just* that.

LukeyRazz
Participant
@lukeyrazz

Both my tats have meaning for me, but its also about art. I love tattoos n admire the work on other people all the time (sometimes getting strange looks off said people). Ive had convos with people about tattoos for hours at a time. I love the art aspect and thats going to dictate the majority of my future ink.
I just bought a Horimouja flash book to get started on my right leg sock, or chest plate, or both 😛

For me, if the wearer of the tat likes it, then that should be meaning enough.

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

i find it just another form of artistic expression, im an artist, i write and i paint, im an extremely visual person and so the art of tattooing has always appealed to me as another form of that, i dont get anyhting that i havent considered for a long time, and now that i know so much more than i initially did about what is available to me i intend to hunt down those guys with the golden hands and let them work their magic. no i personally wouldnt just let them tattoo whatever the hell they like on me, but there are lots of things that have meaning to me, it doesnt have to be a big deal just things about me that make me who i am, turns out i have a thing for things with wings lol, everytime im researching a new tattoo these days it seems to revolve around various birds and butterflies lol so in a way my tattoos help to reveal my subconscious weird huh? lol ask me 5 years ago my favourite things i would say horses, still would, but would i get one tattooed on me? no way lol just not visually appealing to me lol birds flow nicely on the skin, that’s all the meaning i need.

ok my current ones hold some symbolistic value to me but who cares? x

anonymous
Participant
@anonymous
kittykat200;109377 wrote:
turns out i have a thing for things with wings lol, everytime im researching a new tattoo these days it seems to revolve around various birds and butterflies lol so in a way my tattoos help to reveal my subconscious weird huh? lol ask me 5 years ago my favourite things i would say horses, still would, but would i get one tattooed on me? no way lol just not visually appealing to me lol birds flow nicely on the skin, that’s all the meaning i need.

It’s a horse and it’s flying.

A13.jpg

kittykat200
Participant
@kittykat200

And it’s ridiculous lol but it did make me chuckle so thank you lol it doesn’t have wings though unfortunately, and yes I have considered a Pegasus but I just can’t find a design I like enough or a suitable place to put it, let alone an artist that I would trust with something like a horse which can so easily go wrong! Lol x

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.