Odonata
Participant
@odonata

ok soo i got the first component of my tattoo done in ..um july? last year
black slightly tribal style graphic dragonfly mid back , the second part hit a glitch and a very last min decision to redesign, however, a wedding happened and i moved to London and now almost a year later i am looking at finishing it – with the complimentary work ending up much bigger than first planned.

not the issue –
i have the canvas fields marked out so i know where i’ll be getting the rest of it – down either side of my back through the wings of the d’fly and ending mid thigh , and on the front under the bust and front of both hips- kinda hard to describe actually so when i work out how i will post a sketch .
i am still deciding between a tight, thick smoky like celtic ish tribal swirl design and a skin pattern inspired by the enraged flushings of a blue ring octopus. to form almost an alien like print

hubby says rings, but i am kinda apprehensive since i havent seen anything close to what i want except like leopard print which i dont like but it kinda behaves the same way.

anyway i like blue ink – from what i can see it can be vibrant and pretty but also like purple –
wondering if there are any issues with either colour also how they blend into pastel like colours as i want the pattern to fade its colour out as it gets to the end of each pattern section …
a gf of mine got a tattoo on her foot of paw prints 5 of them or so in black and one is in purple but unless her foot is wet or she rubs moisturiser into it , it just looks black –
also what are peoples experience with UV?

(will try n get pic up so my rambling makes sense)

imperial1904
Participant
@imperial1904

…..what….?? lol I’m sorry but I got lost somewhere around the 175th paragraph. 😮
I just skipped to the bottom… any kind of moisture will make the ink look “fresh”. I have black tattoos and when I put lotion on it or it gets wet, it looks much darker like when I first got it.

Odonata
Participant
@odonata

lol yeah i kno – thanks-
doesnt really help – was more does purple ink always go dark and tend to look black unless its moisturised.

more asking if there are any issues with how blue ink wears, something bright tho like a light vibrant blue

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Easy… Ask for lighter colors like lavender and light blue. There are hundreds of colors out there. Almost anything is possible in terms of color with tattoos.

Odonata
Participant
@odonata
DavidJednat;90631 wrote:
Easy… Ask for lighter colors like lavender and light blue. There are hundreds of colors out there. Almost anything is possible in terms of color with tattoos.

thanks , was just concerned about it going dark but i have seen plenty of light and vibrant colours so i think my friend just didnt specify and they used a too dark purple, also being her foot the skin isnt in the best condition

you wouldnt have any experience with UV ink and its wear? not as an ‘invisible’ tattoo but to make a colour luminescent under black light

ArniVidar
@arnividar
Odonata;90660 wrote:
you wouldnt have any experience with UV ink and its wear? not as an ‘invisible’ tattoo but to make a colour luminescent under black light

Don’t even think about it. It’s toxic and quite untested. Do you want to be the one to find out in 20 years that it causes skin cancer?

Plague
Participant
@plague
ArniVidar;90932 wrote:
Don’t even think about it. It’s toxic and quite untested. Do you want to be the one to find out in 20 years that it causes skin cancer?

Yeah, I saw that ink (on that History Channel show that Imperial mentioned in another thread actually).

I don’t think it looks safe.

m/

Odonata
Participant
@odonata
ArniVidar;90932 wrote:

cheers, i have for a long time been looking for information on UV tattoos and the ink and havent found much , i suppose that is why .

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

Blue doesn’t fade too much, it actually stays blue pretty well. Just make sure you get a regular blue and you should be fine. My dad’s blue in his tattoo has held the colour pretty well for almost 20 years.

Odonata
Participant
@odonata

what do you mean by regular blue? i am after something in the way of a true but gently blue that wont be mistook for black in any way but still reasonably dark, and a reasonably bright blue , specifically that of the blue ring octopus

Parademic
Participant
@parademic

Regular Blue
Dark Blue or Navy

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Stay out of the sun and don’t go tanning. Whatever color blue you use should look great for years and years. Not only does sunlight and tanning fade colors over time, but your pigment is one layer in the skin above where the ink rests so any tanning you do will immediately effect the color of your tattoo. Blue will look a bit muddy and greenish when you have a decent tan over the top of your tattoo. Bottom line is you take care of your tattoo and it will look great for a really long time.

Odonata
Participant
@odonata
DavidJednat;91279 wrote:
Stay out of the sun and don’t go tanning. Whatever color blue you use should look great for years and years. Not only does sunlight and tanning fade colors over time, but your pigment is one layer in the skin above where the ink rests so any tanning you do will immediately effect the color of your tattoo. Blue will look a bit muddy and greenish when you have a decent tan over the top of your tattoo. Bottom line is you take care of your tattoo and it will look great for a really long time.

lol i haven’t tanned in like 12 years . i always wear sunscreen in summer and tend to be covered up most the time anyway – apart from when i am doing photo shoots. i like to keep my skin pale and i can tan a golden bronze colour and need to avoid that process all together . i also have no plan to tan in the future , not worth the leathery complexion and wrinkles let alone melanoma in the future i take obsessive care of my skins condition and wash exfoliate and moisturise with natural recipes of my own so it is no hardship to look after the tattoo at all .

and oh no the blue i am thinking is more um ….

and..
BlueRingOctopusDumaguete.jpg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.