goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

Starting tomorrow 4 hours with Tom Sugar. Starting my other half sleeve Japanese style with Hannya maks, cysthanamum flowers, skull and waves. Really looking forward to the session but 4 hours of line work will be interesting to say the least. It will be covering a very small Japanese symbol that is 12 years old as well which is a bonus. There will be two further sessions of shading for about 3 hours each the following month and the month after that. I am going black and grey as I already have a half sleeve in black and grey although I love colour too it would look odd having both. I have seen some great work from Shige, Jess Yen and Jeff Gogue that is inspiring.
I cant wait to get to the shading part i’m so impatient.

clay1680
@

Nice def post some pics after your session, i have a half sleeve going and the line work is kinda annoying after a while i wouuld much rather have 4 hrs of shading than line. and Jeff Gogue is seriously one of my favorite artists and i love his paintings. ill have to check out the other names you said because if there in a category with Gogue then they gotta b good.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

I will definately get some pictures up during each stage ( I will try anyway always struggle with this site)
Some top notch Japanese work from the 3 artists I mentioned and there are many others out there aswell. It is going to sit a bit higher than my left arm due to a few extra things we thought of when drawing it all on the arm. The inside arm is always a killer.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

definitely post pics! i will be getting some more work from jess yen in april so i cant wait!

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

Shige is amazing. I love how he creates depth. It’s almost like he creates an underpainting with gray wash and colors over the top. Gogue’s style though not traditional Japanese is my favorite. He may be the most painterly tattooist out there. Can’t wait to see what you and your artist come up with.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

right guys the outline is one 4 hours of fun! lol some of the inner arm and shoulder were not fun but did well and didn’t complain. It was funny when he started on the shoulder and Tom looked at me to say are you ready and we both laughed at the same time.
I am in a dilema as to go full colour or stick with B+G my other sleeve is B+G but I think this piece would rock bold colours, does anyone mix on here or stick with one style?
I will post a pic when I can get a good one the lighting is crap and the blackberry isn’t much good so I will get the wife to take a few.
Next 3 hours April 1st…….. No joke.:eek:

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

http://www.thetattooforum.com/album.php?albumid=3774&pictureid=8882
http://www.thetattooforum.com/album.php?albumid=3774&pictureid=8883
http://www.thetattooforum.com/album.php?albumid=3774&pictureid=8881

See what you think guys. The shit Japanese symbol will be covered when shaded. Sorry about the pic quality and being computer illiterate when it come to getting the photos up and not the link.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

I say go with full color. You can have the best of both worlds. Plus that chrysanthemum would look great in full color in front of a grey and black background. What color would you do the hannya? They range from light yellow/gold to red and everything in between. Red is the most malicious and gold the most benign. I like the design alot. If you couldn’t tell I really get into Japanese tattoos.

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

If I go with colour it will give it the pop it will need the crysanthemum in a bright colour and the darker back ground would look great. The skull in the that yellow bone colour. The Hannya I like them in the light green like the Jeff Gogue leg piece that is on his myspace. I think If I go black and grey it could loose the impact. Going to have a think…..
The next session is all the back ground and waves shaded so have a couple of months max to make a decision so no rush.

yodaddynukka
Participant
@yodaddynukka

line work looks solid. i say go with full color also.

Tajen
Participant
@tajen
yodaddynukka;82054 wrote:
line work looks solid. i say go with full color also.

Another vote for the full color. Going to be amazing!

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

I think I have decided on colour but it is deciding on which colours to use!

Tajen
Participant
@tajen

I always let my artist choose those!

goldengraemes
Participant
@goldengraemes

currently at the drying out and flaking stage. Not tender anymore. Line work is looking good. I think I may be going light green for the mask like that Jeff gogue leg piece and either a brighter pink/purple flowers. If I go light purple with the mask I am unsure what colours to choose for flowers.

DavidJednat
Participant
@davidjednat

With a light purple mask you’d want to go with contrasting colors like yellows and oranges.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.