midjam
Participant
@midjam

I think if your happy to have the tattoo then go get it because its you thats got to live with it! If you are worried about whether your going to look butch then DON’T because your worrying. Ok you might feel ok about it now but if you have any doubts at all you shouldn’t have it done.

ontwo
Participant
@ontwo

First, get what you want.

Second, the picture shows the tat on the guy’s TRICEP. Is that where you want it? If so, I like it. Not so much on the bicep

MegRH
Participant
@megrh

Im still not too sure to be honest. I guess it’s gonna take a few weeks of thinking. Trouble is I love video game tattoos and they’re never gonna look feminine lol. Everyone I ask says get a flower or a butterfly but I dont really like them.

Chief D
Participant
@chief-d

If that’s the tattoo you want, get it! If it is done LARGE then it will definitely be masculine. I would suggest having it inked about the size of a silver dollar. Smaller is more girly. I would also steer you to a color other than solid black. This design would look awesome in purple with a shading fade. Personally I would put a disk of color off-set behind it in a contrasting color. This would make the tribal POP while adding some interest and keeping true to your idea.

Asenath83
Participant
@asenath83
Blue1;56592 wrote:
One would be me Dani….and I have my Big ass dog’s face on the other. lol

You do NOT look butch, though! lol

ChaosDani
Participant
@chaosdani
Asenath83;56830 wrote:

Certainly not! Of course not all women sporting tribal on their arms look butch. But the bold lines and sharp angles DO tend towards masculinity. I haven’t seen many examples of tribal that I would call inherently “feminine”.
There’s nothing wrong with that, imo. I’m all for pushing gender boundaries and whatnot. Why shouldn’t a woman get a tribal armband? I see no reason why not. Same goes for men. If you want a hummingbird on your lower back, fellas, go for it.
But people will judge you based on that. Not everyone is going to think you’re butch at first sight. But some will. Honestly, other factors come into play here as well- like how you dress, your hairstyle, the shape of your face, your body type… Some things you have control over and some you don’t. It’s a harsh reality of life. People judge on appearances. I don’t know you, so I can’t say anything about your overall appearance (it wouldn’t be my place to do so anyway). But I can say this- If you want to look more “feminine” tribal on your arm is not the best way to go.

So if you’re concerned about how the world percieves you, think twice about what you put on your body. If you don’t care, then by all means, get what you want.

Off the soapbox now…
If you like the design but you’re concerned about looking masculine, why not take Chief D’s advice and tweak it to suit your tastes. Make it smaller, add color, maybe even change the location. You can do a worthwhile tribute to the game without getting the EXACT tattoo that the character has in the EXACT same spot. 🙂

MegRH
Participant
@megrh

I dont have any recent photos of me on this pc but I always wear jeans and a t-shirt. I have long brown hair with blond highlights. I’m not thin but im not fat lol and im a bit shorter than most girls my age (which I hate lol) I do look quite feminine but I guess my clothes tend to look slightly more male.
It’s so annoying coz one day im like “hell yeah lets do this.” and other days i’m like “I really dont want this tattoo anymore” lol and I cant seem to make my mind up but to be honest i think its just because it’s my first and no matter where i was having it, it would take me months to decide.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

My opinion might be skewed by my general dislike of tribal, but I agree that this could look really wicked if it were done in some nice fading colors and shading.

But what you’re saying about the indecision strikes home for me, because it took me a few years to get my first one going, and that one wasn’t even one of the ones I had been planning for all those years.

If you are unsure now, and especially since you say at time you really don’t want the tattoo any more, you should definitely heed your own warning signals and not get it as you’ve pictured it in your head. If you’re attached to the symbol you should try to ignore your old idea and think of new ones with changes in size, color or placement and see if any ideas help you decide you REALLY want it. If you go ahead as is, you will probably regret it in the not too distant future.

As for your size, you shouldn’t worry about it. Many men (myself included) really like short women 😮

Blue1
Participant
@blue1
Asenath83;56830 wrote:
ChaosDani;56835 wrote:
Certainly not! Of course not all women sporting tribal on their arms look butch. But the bold lines and sharp angles DO tend towards masculinity.

Well, Um thanks? lol

MegRH;56850 wrote:
I dont have any recent photos of me on this pc but I always wear jeans and a t-shirt. I have long brown hair with blond highlights. I’m not thin but im not fat lol and im a bit shorter than most girls my age (which I hate lol) I do look quite feminine but I guess my clothes tend to look slightly more male.
It’s so annoying coz one day im like “hell yeah lets do this.” and other days i’m like “I really dont want this tattoo anymore” lol and I cant seem to make my mind up but to be honest i think its just because it’s my first and no matter where i was having it, it would take me months to decide.

If you’re goin back -n-forth with it….WAIT till you are certain before goin to get it. Once you got it, you got it and there is no changin your mind then.

ChaosDani
Participant
@chaosdani
Blue1;56876 wrote:
Well, Um thanks? lol

haha, yeah, that’s a really roundabout and awkward way of giving someone a compliment i guess. 😮

katdiablo
Participant
@katdiablo

The design for my Tree of Life was printed out and hung on the refrigerator door for 2 years before I inked it onto my body… I kept going back and forth between all black versus color…

“My” personal rule for tattoos is.. don’t get anything that you simply CANNOT live without… it has to be an all consuming design for me– with absolutely no uncertainty…

Butterfly
Participant
@butterfly-2

personally i really don’t like the tribal design but if thats what you really want done just do it and sod what others think !!
i dont think it will make you look butch :rolleyes: the butch lesbian i know has a cherub tattoo on her arm so stereotypes are oftem wrong 😀

MegRH
Participant
@megrh

I am leaning more towards getting it now but I’ll still have a longer think. To be honest I’m normally not a fan of tribal tattoos but I really like this one because it’s from Tekken and I know people will say “well you’re taste will probably change” but I doubt it will lol.

inkered
Participant
@inkered

I don’t know butterfly, what other people might think may have to come into your decision too.

it depends on what type of person you are and whether you will let what other people think hurt you and if so will that change your love for the tattoo. If your sure sure you want it then go for it – but if theres any doubt whatsoever its best to keep thinking it over or come up with something new.

MegRH
Participant
@megrh

To try it out I printed it out and stuck it on my arm lol. It doesnt look too bad to be honest:)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.