Jez
Participant
@jez
vaggerbond;53866 wrote:
In the middle of reading Stephen King Cell for like the 4th time. I’ll read pretty much anything written by Stephen King I love IT, Cujo, Firestarter, The Shining, Misery etc etc! IMO the books are always better than the films.

I also like a good murder mystery especially Harlan Coben.

I loved Cell! King is so reliable.

Sherav;54012 wrote:
Well I tend to have around 6 books on the go at any one time as prefer reading to tv but currently just polished off:

Survivor Chuck Palahniuk (guy who wrote fight club) about a guy who is on a plane that he has hijacked and let everybody off so he can crash and kill himself. He was a lone survivor from a suicide cult that were ‘programmed’ to do themselves in when they heard that the cult had topped themselves.

No denying it is a dark book but oddly had a lot of chuckles – well worth reading.

Yep loved it. I agree that it is pretty dark, but very enjoyable.

I just finished Musashi by Eiji Yoshikawa. Its a bit of an epic about the famous Japanese samurai. Fantastic read, alot of very memorable characters and very rich in all its settings. A beautiful writen novel I’d strongly recommend it to anyone even slightly interested in Japanese culture, particular the way of the samurai.

I also just finished World War Z by Max Brooks. Goddamn I enjoyed it. It’s a history of the great zombie outbreak told in the form of interviews with many many survivors in chronological order. It’s so good. If you’re a zombie fan, its an absolute must read. I already want to read it again. He also wrote ‘The Zombie Survival Guide’ which is a good read too, and so realistic and informative that its almost scary.:D

IssaBella
Participant
@issabella

Im currently finishing up VC Andrew’s Flowers in the Attic Series. Started off great but flaking towards the end.

ArniVidar
@arnividar

Well, since I read somewhere between 5 and 10 books per month, I guess my list is perhaps a tad long.

Just recently (since Christmas) I’ve finished Neil Gaiman’s Anansi Boys, Orson Scott Card’s First Meetings, Nicholas Pekearo’s first and only published The Wolfman and Lois McMaster Bujould’s Falling Free and Spirit Ring.
Right now I’m reading Terry Goodkind’s The Sword Of Truth series, Dean Koontz’ Frankenstein series, Robert Jordan’s Wheel Of Time series, Markus Zusak’s The Book Thief and Dan Brown’s The Lost Symbol.
Next up are Neil Gaiman’s Neverwhere and American Gods, Douglas Adams’ HHGTTG collection, Stephen King’s Carrie for the first time, hopefully Khaled Hosseini’s The Kite Runner, and a re-read of both The Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter series.
After that I’m looking to buy a few of James Patterson’s Alex Cross series, Michael Connelly’s Harry Bosch series and Patricia Cornwell’s Kay Scarpetta series.

Phew! 🙂

PsychoticInk
Participant
@psychoticink

Ok don’t laugh but my Daughters are at the age that they wanted to read the Twilight Book series…. So I decided to read them first… Ok the whole Bella thing got a bit old but still over all some good books. I would recommend reading Twilight 1st, New Moon, Eclipse, and finally Breaking Dawn. I read each book in 2 days each so the reading was not hard and the subject matter as far as sex is concerned is very mild.

Now some of my favorite Books are of coarse Stephen King 4 past midnight and all the books by Dean Koontz I like the darker type of reading myself.

KnightHawk
Participant
@knighthawk

I read constantly, usually kill one a week. This week I’m working on Monster by Frank Peretti. It’s kinda weird in the way it’s basically two separate books at once.

The first book is a high tension horror-adventure of a guy trying to track down a literal monster that kidnapped his wife, while at the same time trying to convince the authorities that it’s a monster and NOT a bear they’re tracking down.

The other half is an anti-evolution screed as the protagonist’s scientist best friend tries to track down the creature’s origins, which is complicated by the fact that he just got fired from his science job for being a Creationist (why the hell ain’t he suing for discrimination?). So far he’s proven that the monster was genetically engineered by the evil evolution scientists who know they’re lying about Creationism being wrong, but still try to prove evolution happened anyway by making a missing link moster with science….or something.

The first book is tightly paced and damn good. Why Mr. Peretti grafted on the wandering, seemingly unrelated second is a mystery to me.

After that I’m starting up on Death Troopers. I was physically compelled to buy this book. It’s a zombie apocalypse set on board a super star destroyer in the Star Wars universe during the time of the original trilogy. Tell me that sentence is not made of awesome.

I second the love for King. The only time he’s ever let me down is The Stand. It’s awful, wandering, and seems almost pointless by the end. But I seem to be in the minority on that opinion.

Sherav wrote:
Survivor Chuck Palahniuk (guy who wrote fight club) about a guy who is on a plane that he has hijacked and let everybody off so he can crash and kill himself. He was a lone survivor from a suicide cult that were ‘programmed’ to do themselves in when they heard that the cult had topped themselves.

No denying it is a dark book but oddly had a lot of chuckles – well worth reading.

Isn’t that his how shtick? Making you laugh at shit you shouldn’t be, or just seriously grossing you out?

Still, I got to say I jumped the Palahniuk ship after Ghost Stories. That one was just trying too hard. Cannibal baby soup anyone? The nazi feminists basically raping that chick because they thought she was a transsexual? I’m okay with perversion and over the top violence,hell, done well it’s fun as hell, but all that just seemed like it was done for shock value alone. It may have been the point, but frankly, Palahniuk books always leave me depressed and in need of a good Terry Pratchett novel.

Frankly if you want dark done right, you got to go with Kurt Vonnegut or Cormac McCarthy every time.

Invisible Monsters was pretty damn good though…though Fight Club the book sucks my left nut. That’s the bad one you know. It’s vinegary.

Jez wrote:
I also just finished World War Z by Max Brooks. Goddamn I enjoyed it. It’s a history of the great zombie outbreak told in the form of interviews with many many survivors in chronological order. It’s so good. If you’re a zombie fan, its an absolute must read. I already want to read it again. He also wrote ‘The Zombie Survival Guide’ which is a good read too, and so realistic and informative that its almost scary

Oh. Hell. Yes. The Zombie Survival Guide is the closest thing to a religion I have, and World War Z is just plain brilliant in my book. You ought to try it on audio book. It’s only available abridged and is something like 10 hours long, but it just adds something to hear the words actually spoken. Doesn’t hurt that they hired some seriously talented voice actors. You can snag it for free via torrent over at Pirate Bay.

Love. Peace. Metallica.

ArniVidar
@arnividar
KnightHawk;58677 wrote:
After that I’m starting up on Death Troopers. I was physically compelled to buy this book. It’s a zombie apocalypse set on board a super star destroyer in the Star Wars universe during the time of the original trilogy. Tell me that sentence is no made of awesome.

Now that one I just HAVE to have!! 😀

vaggerbond
Participant
@vaggerbond
KnightHawk;58677 wrote:
I second the love for King. The only time he’s ever let me down is The Stand. It’s awful, wandering, and seems almost pointless by the end. But I seem to be in the minority on that opinion.

I totally agree. After reading Cell I got recommended to read The Stand and was daunted simply by the size of it!! I read it on a holiday and it completely bored me… I finished it simply because I wanted to see if it got good at all! I didn’t get it at all…

NeverBSatisfied
Participant
@neverbsatisfied

I’m a big biography guy and love reading people’s journey’s to where they are now, and where they were when they first started green. I read books at once, so here’s the list I’ve completed thus far over the past months:

Paper Lion
Playing for Pizza
Bleachers
Last Days of Krypton
Jerome Bettis- Life inside and out of the helmet
James Harrison- Never Give Up
The Death of WCW

I’m a big mystery nut as well and like anything from John Grisham. I must be intrigued and hooked and all of these books did it for me so I’m a sucker for those style’s of writing.

stanley22
Participant
@stanley22

i’ve been reading less than zero by brett easten ellis… its not as good as his other works.

katdiablo
Participant
@katdiablo

I just started on “The Shack” by William P Young which is a religious fiction book…. I saw it on the shelf at Target, and flipped it over and got intrigued.

I am NOT religious, per se, but I can be spiritual and the book is very interesting. I got a B & Nobles Nook for Christmas so I paid $6.00 for the ebook and am about half way through it.

I usually read fairy, vampire, witchy stuff… but I like book that sucks you in, no matter what it’s about..

fatboytrucker
Participant
@fatboytrucker

im about half way through Excavation by James Rollins. and i read the Judas Strain before that, also by Rollins. i really like thriller type stuff:D

gnarly
Participant
@gnarly

I’m reading The Plague by Camus right now..
and I’m also picking up Wise Blood by O’Connor.

I’m a huge nerd, and I’m just starting to get back into reading more often.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.