buzz
    Participant
    @buzz

um question

how do you make a portfolio?

by my knowledge a portfolio is work that you have finished or finishing, not just drawings and flash.
    so how do you make a porfolio to be a tattooist but you are a scratcher so to speak?
    it is a very hard game to get into but in my opinion you have to start somewhere especially when a studio wont give you a go. and there are a lot of professionals out there that are in it for the money as well and should go under the name a scratchers cause their work needs to be covered up by another artist.

i get that you dont want untalented,disease causing, bad naming people polluting the craft but you cant stereotype all self-taught tattoo artists as SCRATCHERS there are some home-artists out there i’m sure i would rather pay top dollar to get work do by then.

bandit 666
    Participant
    @bandit-666
    buzz;31871 wrote:
    um question

how do you make a portfolio?

by my knowledge a portfolio is work that you have finished or finishing, not just drawings and flash.
    so how do you make a porfolio to be a tattooist but you are a scratcher so to speak?
    it is a very hard game to get into but in my opinion you have to start somewhere especially when a studio wont give you a go. and there are a lot of professionals out there that are in it for the money as well and should go under the name a scratchers cause their work needs to be covered up by another artist.

i get that you dont want untalented,disease causing, bad naming people polluting the craft but you cant stereotype all self-taught tattoo artists as SCRATCHERS there are some home-artists out there i’m sure i would rather pay top dollar to get work do by then.

Unfortunately you are right about scratchers in studios, there should be an art police. My own personal definition of a scratcher is someone who has no training in tattooing who charges people for tattoos without regard for the end result, it dosen’t matter if they have a shop nor not.

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

Art police lol, can you imagine it hehehe 😀

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw

ok here is my opinion, it dont mean a lot but it my one…… some of the top artists out there are self taught, and all artists started as an amateur, I have a studio i built onto my house, i turn out average work enough for word of mouth to prevent people going back to the local studio’s where they previously went to, they came to me .. had work done and are now awiting for me to get better from a spinal injury rather goint to a shop. I am in the middle of getting my place licenced by my local health authority, but i am still classed as a scratcher and that wont change until i get that piece of paper in my hand.

as to you portfolio question buzz…… be careful because a lot of artists wont touch you with a barge pole if you show that you have used a tatttoo machine while not under a mentor, thats just a word of warning…. they want to see plenty of drawing skills, yes of course they do, but dont just place outstanding pieces of work that should be on a gallery wall, they want to see simple stuff as well, remember that if and thats is a big if, you get into an apprenticeship, you will be drawing roses, stars and simple stuff until your counting them to fall asleep at night.. dont try being flash in winning a spot, place varied grades of pieces, but i would not put any tattoo’s in there if i was you or anybody expecting to prove they can swing a machine..

when you get the apprenticeship, your mentor will tell you when you are ready 😉

sorry if it was long winded, and i hope i didnt intrude turbo….

buzz
    Participant
    @buzz

cheers outlaw i’ll keep that in mind..

buzz
    Participant
    @buzz

and i have had countless mates and mates of mates wanting work done by me, but i have told then that i want to do this proply safe and prized pieces of work. the only person i would consider at this stage to ink is myself.not that im not confident but because i dont want to get a bad name if something goes wrong, do it right the first time.

catchya!

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

I’m similar to outlaw, people have started coming to me as apposed to the local tattooist here, word of mouth and happy clients i guess, and im touching up the other guys stuff which doesnt say much at all. But once again I dont need a licence, but have everything i need to be completely sterile and hygenic, and i can prove all this to my clients and whomever else may drop by. But i wouldnt call myself a scratcher and i wouldnt call you one either outlaw, you stuff is awesome. MY take on a scratcher is someone who has no idea about health and safety, quite possibly cant draw for shit and doesnt care what sort of mess they make as long as they get the dolleros at the end of it.

cheers

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan
    CULPRITE INK wrote:
    ok first off, fuck you for calling me a scrathcer, ok douche bag, ban me if you want… I trying to figure out what i need to do to become a profesinoal, and im in usa and have a “scrached pice on my shoulder” i dont recomend them either, hell the tattoo shop im getting my next one done at ill pay you for a home made gun…but any way im not trying to do it out of my grage im trying to figure out how to get a liscens and such, how to further my art and so fourth, not scratch, sorry if i come off rude but you out and out called me a pos for wantinng to chase my dream, and thats kinda fucked up, tattoing for me is a passion not a money maker, huslte, or hoax , but i get what your point is and wil not ask ill try to talk my clicks else where

LOL

So this guy gets messed up by a unlicenced kitchen magician then has the balls to come on here asking how to tattoo and when he gets told he cant ask those questions gives me a load of shit for it????

And this is also after i suggested an alternative forum where he would be able to ask questions about doing tattoo’s??

Izarrasink
    Participant
    @izarrasink

oh dear lol, maybe he was having a bad day:D

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw
    turbosatan;32005 wrote:
    And this is also after i suggested an alternative forum where he would be able to ask questions about doing tattoo’s??

if thats the forum we discussed about turbo, he aint joined there 😉

turbosatan
    Keymaster
    @turbosatan

yep tjhat was the guy i was on about.

I had to ban him in the end. guy was a total dick to be honest so no loss anyway.

kept calling me a douchebag. maybe it was kelly osbourne in disguise?

Outlaw
    Participant
    @outlaw
    turbosatan;32026 wrote:
    kept calling me a douchebag.

im sure your nothing like kat von douchebag :p

AhshKoshBGosh
    Participant
    @ahshkoshbgosh
    Outlaw;32033 wrote:
    im sure your nothing like kat von douchebag :p

BAHAHA thats funny… no he is nothing like that im sure… he is too selfless to be like that 😀

Rodneyrammer
    Participant
    @rodneyrammer
    bandit 666;31841 wrote:
    I wasn’t really having a dig at you or anyone else on a personal level :p

I do have strong feelings on the subject though. It took me nearly six years to get my mentor to take me under his wing and show me what was what. I fought hard to get where I am now and it pisses me off no end when anyone can buy pieces of shit equipment from egay then promptly call themselves tattoo “artists”

There are generally three attitudes anong established established artists when it comes to the dissemination of knowledge. The first is the “go fuck yourself” the second is “go fuck yourself, unless you want to buy my dvd/book on how to tattoo” The third is mainly people like me who will help only the worthy. that is to say the ones who impress us with dedication and a desire to learn our craft.

Those who buy the kits will rarely ammount to anything let alone being the next Aitchson they are either in it for money or the “kudos” of being a tattoo artist. They take from our craft and give nothing but the headache of having to cover up badly done tattoos.

I am currently working on my portfolio and I am underage although I do sport homedone tattoos that is because that is what got me interested in tattooing. A friend of mine had been practicing his tattooing and he was doing well in my eyes so I let him tattoo me on several ocasions and I became really interested in tattooing. I am above average skill level when it comes to drawing and painting so I am drawing everyday and keeping my artwork in a binder for now. I am hoping that when I turn 18 I will be able to go around and present my art and ask if an artist would be willing to help me get started. Do you have any advise for me?

scrubmuncher
    Participant
    @scrubmuncher

Bandit…….
    Well although I can understand the frustration you feel when you chased around for so many years kissing ass to get started and learn something, when some of us had the initiative to make things happen a little faster in our lives, I for sure do not feel this makes anyone a better artist than the other. Confidence usually comes from natural talent that maybe some who persue long apprentships may not have, obviously not the case for everyone but maybe some.
    I feel you have very little right to claim all without a license are scratchers, as said some of us work out of countries where they are not required. It all sounds repetative and only that you have a chip on your shoulder. I wouldn’t call you an unconfident, incompitant, nancy boy who needs his hand held because you needed to seek apprship now would I, so please show a little respect and try to take people as individuals rather than as you appear to be. After all alot of us began tattoo adventures as a form of individualism and not to be labelled or penned, this tends to run deeper than just getting ink in the skin.

Just my op…. on said comments.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 109 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.