jjxcass
Participant
@jjxcass

I would really, really like to become a tattoo artist someday. I am currently in college for illustration so I have a bit of an art education, though nothing tattoo/industry based. I have a fairly strong portfolio built up and I will continue adding to it.

But I have a few questions:

How do I even go about becoming an apprentice? Do I just walk into a shop and ask if they’re looking?
What is the average cost of apprenticeship and when would I need to buy my own tools? And what would I need to buy?
And now the biggie (to me at least) – how important is image? I would assume fairly important since tattoos are all about altering it, but I do not give off the “I tattoo” vibe at all. I’m 5′ and look 14 (complete with freckles). I do have a few piercings and I’m planning on a medium sized tat soon, but I don’t think I’ll ever give off that look – would this influence peoples’ decisions on hiring me?
What else should I know? I’ve thought about this for awhile but only recently decided to actually go for it.

Apostle 228
Participant
@apostle-228

start going to shops and ask if they want or need an apprentice. every artist charges different amounts, as the price is completely up to the artist. so theres not really a “going rate”… it is very expensive usually. one of the shops i go to a lot has an apprentice who has been there for 3 years. he gets his license soon. he did not own his own equipment for about the first 6 months.

as for image, just start smoking and getting into fights. that will take care of your 14 year old looks real fast :p haha

hope this all helps a bit.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to create new topics.